Rear Wheel Conversion (Car Wheel)

Guest BigCarl

Guest BigCarl

Ok I know A lot of guys will not go for this but I had to post it. I bought a wrecked 2003 VFR 800 and have been fixing it up. I must say it has worked out better than I expected. I noticed a guy from the UK put a car wheel on a 750 VFR swingarm. His plan involved drilling out the hub and adding longer studds. I did the math and found that with the right adapter and a 42mm offset wheel it should come out dead on center. I got a special adapter that has the studs and nuts. I got a wheel that was 17x7 andpost-22078-0-21649100-1300096722_thumb.j 4x100 bolt patten.post-22078-0-40218200-1300096210_thumb.jpost-22078-0-20044000-1300096223_thumb.j The adapter bolted strait to the hub and the wheel strait to the adapter. The tire I used was a Dunlop roadsmart 200x50x17. The wheel cleared the swing arm by 3.2mm on the toppost-22078-0-70725000-1300095218_thumb.j and 4.5mm on the bottom of the swing arm.post-22078-0-11535400-1300095244_thumb.j Even with full travel (swing arm lifted all the way with shock unhooked) no issues. To each his own, just wanted to share. I have put some miles on this tire and wheel now and I wanted to give and update. It rides great! I find that it drops into the corners fine. NO pulling or pushing and the center of balance is same as stock. I have sold my other spacer but I plan to get more and help others do the same. Ride Safe Carl.post-22078-0-34877700-1308918556_thumb.j

post-22078-0-98886900-1300095182_thumb.j

post-22078-0-27712100-1300095196_thumb.j

Edited by BigCarl

• Member Contributer

I've often wondered if this could be done. Nice job. The only downside may be the weight. The stock wheel is a surprisingly light unit whereas the car wheel you chose may have a bit more heft. But it looks damn good.

Mike

• Member Contributer

Good job. Now how about a matching front wheel??

Seriously, I've always thought a size 190 tire would look better than a 180. The CBR1k has a 190 and is a smaller bike.

• Member Contributer

Good job. Now how about a matching front wheel??

Seriously, I've always thought a size 190 tire would look better than a 180. The CBR1k has a 190 and is a smaller bike.

I bought a used CBR600 with a 190 rear. Dropped down to a 180 and it handled way better.

Nice wheel conversion! I love "out of the box" mods. Quit goofing around and put some Mat Tracks on there.

• Member Contributer

Let's see some bigger pics of the wheel on the bike! Not the way I would go but that doesn't mean I hadn't considered it. :fing02:

So what width wheel would keep the stock dimensions I wonder?

Guest phobe

Not my thing but good on you for making it work. I'd be concerned about the offset on a 7" wide wheel. Does the center line of the tire move out to the right a bit?

Edited by phobe

• Member Contributer

17" x 5.5". Not too easy to find in an automotive wheel!

I could not find one anywhere on the internet !!!!!!!!!!!! Not a 4 lug .

wonder where he got the wheel ?

• Member Contributer

I could not find one anywhere on the internet !!!!!!!!!!!! Not a 4 lug .

wonder where he got the wheel ?

Found one looks like Mini Cooper wheel has the lug pattern and size !!!!!!!!!!

• Member Contributer

Looked up wheel weights.

VFR 12lb (4th gen) and 13lb all others (SSSA)

Mini - around 20lb for an average 17" wheel

Not too bad if looks is the goal.

• Member Contributer

Looked up wheel weights.

VFR 12lb (4th gen) and 13lb all others (SSSA)

Mini - around 20lb for an average 17" wheel

Not too bad if looks is the goal.

Is there a price !!!!!!!!!!

• Member Contributer

It makes your rear look fat.................. but sure looks good :fing02:

Welcome to VFRD!!!

• Member Contributer

I don't know about the car wheel, but FYI Honda SSSA rear wheels seem to have the same offset--at least based on a rather unscientific sampling of the two wheels I had in the garage at the time--exactly the same. I measured from the centre of the wheel to the face of the mounting flange. The two wheels were off a 1987 NC24 (VFR400R) and a 1992 NR(750), which are 4" and 5.5" wide, respectively. If Honda used the same offset on such different bikes, I would have to guess that the other VFR and RVF rear wheels also have the same offset (but I really should check some day!)

(The NR wheel does NOT have the same PCD, however.)

Ciao,

WORK wheels make a 17x5.5 with the appropriate bolt circle. I do not know if it would clear the brake caliper or not, nor how the backspacing would pan out.

I DO know it will be expensive. About on par with a brand new OEM rear wheel.

http://www.workwheelsusa.com/media/wheels/23/48/Schwert%20SC1%20Spec.pdf

The pic shows a 5 lug wheel, but according to the Mfgr, it comes in a 4x100 bolt pattern.

wheelImage.png

I actually recognize that car wheel; it's a Motegi tuner wheel...weighs about 18 lbs. if I remember correctly. I'm sure you could find out on tirerack.com Good find and good luck!

If you need to search other wheel options in order to run bike tires (don't do the car tire thing those Goldwing guys recommend...corners are just too much fun on a VFR) check www.myboltpattern.com I just discovered this site and found it really helpful.