Stuck 6th Gen Oil Filter

Guest dendron

• Member Contributer

Thoughts anyone?

I hope you started the engine and allow temp to rise until the fan

came on... heat is your friend because it will expand every part and

release tension...

He's already ripped a hole in the filter. I think this method of applying heat would get very messy and wasteful of oil. If you want to try applying heat to the filter use a heat gun instead.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I bought one of those claw thingys and the durn thing is too big for to grab the VFR filter. There must be different sizes.

• Member Contributer

I bought one of those claw thingys and the durn thing is too big for to grab the VFR filter. There must be different sizes.

There a couple of size ranges and you need the right one. I forget which one the VFR is and I'm not at home where I can go check my toolbox.

• Member Contributer

There a couple of size ranges and you need the right one. I forget which one the VFR is and I'm not at home where I can go check my toolbox.

This is what I bought:

%21By2v-mwCGk%7E$%28KGrHqN,%21i0Ew5leyiIMBMTdi%21SsW%21%7E%7E_35.JPG

From this listing: 3-leg oil filter wrench

Works for my 6th gen and for my '89 Nissan S-Cargo.

I always use a K&N Filter on my bikes (street and track). It has a nut on the end of it for easy on and off. Plus you can drill the nut to wire for trackbikes. More expensive, yes, but I avoid issues like these completely.

I used to remove them subborn filters by hitting the lib with a chisel/flat blade ScrewDriver.

And then use the dent in the lip and change the angle of the chisel so the filter would turn ccw...

hopes it will help!

• Member Contributer

This filter (Wally World Super Tech ST7317 made by Champion) was installed and torqued to spec (20 ft.lbs -- this just HAS to be wrong Honda!) per the VFR service manual on the last oil change. Just before reaching the 20 ft. lbs click the filter wrench began to spin on the cartridge. I've since come to realize through a consensus of other forum contributors that this should be hand-tightened + 1/4turn on said filter wrench, which is certainly less than 20 ft./lbs.

So, no leaks all was well and good until it was time to remove this filter cartridge on the next oil change. No budgee!! Soaked the mating surface w/PB Blaster penetrating catalyst, waited 20 minutes for effect, hammered a screwdriver through the filter in an attempt to gain leverage, tugged counterclockwise. Still no budgee, except for the screwdriver ripping through the soft metal cartridge. Now, I've run out of options and was hoping to solicit possible solutions from the board. Thoughts anyone?

Inquiring minds want to know -

Did you get the filter off? What method worked for you?

This filter (Wally World Super Tech ST7317 made by Champion) was installed and torqued to spec (20 ft.lbs -- this just HAS to be wrong Honda!) per the VFR service manual on the last oil change. Just before reaching the 20 ft. lbs click the filter wrench began to spin on the cartridge. I've since come to realize through a consensus of other forum contributors that this should be hand-tightened + 1/4turn on said filter wrench, which is certainly less than 20 ft./lbs.

So, no leaks all was well and good until it was time to remove this filter cartridge on the next oil change. No budgee!! Soaked the mating surface w/PB Blaster penetrating catalyst, waited 20 minutes for effect, hammered a screwdriver through the filter in an attempt to gain leverage, tugged counterclockwise. Still no budgee, except for the screwdriver ripping through the soft metal cartridge. Now, I've run out of options and was hoping to solicit possible solutions from the board. Thoughts anyone?

Inquiring minds want to know -

Did you get the filter off? What method worked for you?

O.k., here's the update:

First I used a pair of slip-joint Fram oil filter pliers (thx Jimmymc750 and Soichiro)... 0002558227001_P255045_180X180.jpg I thought,

"Surely these will do the job!" Well, on their narrowest setting they were just barely too big and would slip when force was applied, even though the filter was wiped down as much as possible. There's prolly a smaller pair of pliers for smaller filters, but everyone stocks for automotive sizes because that's where the greater volume of sales is, so they're harder to find without ordering online. Hmmm, alright, let's try the hose clamp trick

(thx CanadIANviffer). Bought a pair of #48 hose clamps, wiped down the filter as best as could be, snugged one up as close to the block as possible cranked down on it with a 8mm hex socket & ratchet, tapped on the end of the worm drive bolt...IT MOVED! But, the filter didn't, unfortunately. Cranked down a little more, *tap* *tap* *tap* it moved again, still, the filter remained steadfast. I repeated this one more time. Now, I had to loosen the clamp to reposition the worm drive for forther tapping attempts. In doing this, I noticed the drive bolt had pushed clean through the other end of its housing and recessed the screwdriver slot to the point where it was inaccessable. Now, I can't get it off of the filter that I also still can't get off without more major surgery. :pissed: A better built hose clamp might have done the trick here, but the soft metal garden variety I purchased, plucked from a container from somewhere along the Pacific rim, wasn't cuttin' it.

After perusing through all of the responses (most of which were great, many thanks and props to you all) and VFRBulldawg's thread from last summer about this same problem, I went ahead and ordered one of these from Amazon:

Lisle 63600 Oil Filter Tool

51RMpeAiQ4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

41BPufCSLlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Props to vfrjim2002 who called it..."These things are the pit bulls of filter wrenches." We shall see. Stay tuned toward the end of next week when the next chapter begins. Meanwhile, my steed remains lifeless in the garage, without blood...naked.

• Member Contributer

Props to vfrjim2002 who called it..."These things are the pit bulls of filter wrenches." We shall see. Stay tuned toward the end of next week when the next chapter begins. Meanwhile, my steed remains lifeless in the garage, without blood...naked.

Wow, I feel for you dude -- - this is turning into the epic adventures of stuck oil filters, sounds like a timmy video.

more ideas... (gotta admitt, I cant ever remember of having a stuck filter, may a little stubborn, but not stuck)

First shot - this thing has never let me down...(dunno where I would buy one, Ive had it for years)

P8030150.jpg

And the wits end, pissed off, mean mother approach.....

NutCrusher.jpg

Good luck!!

• Member Contributer

Oh man - I thought we'd have you back on 2 wheels by now! This has got to be really frustrating (don't get me started about Honda's placement of the filter). Most of the conventional tools for getting these things off rely on the integrity of the housing for them to grab on to. Once the housing gets shredded some, it loses its integrity, much like an egg. Maybe it's time to bypass (no pun intended) the housing and go straight for the jugular at the base plate. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Assuming you have a new filter, you can measure the distance between the holes in the base and work up something to grab on to them. It would require using a Dremel cutoff wheel or some technique to remove the "can" of the filter, leaving mostly just the base plate remaining against the block. It's a bear as 6th gens have very little room to maneuver in there. Once the can and filter media is gone, fab up something from the base plate of the Lisle 63600 tool that you showed earlier. Drill 2 or 3 holes equidistant from the square drive for bolts (I would go for the gusto and use grade 8's) just small enough to engage the holes in the base plate. Use nuts on the bolts to retain them securely in the holes you made. Then apply the tool to the base plate, placing the 2 or 3 bolts in to the base plate holes, and then using an extension and a good size ratchet or breaker bar to apply torque to the plate. This should get it. I found a Youtube video after some looking of some one who did what I was imagining. Skip ahead to about 5 1/2 minutes and you'll see what I'm getting at. If this doesn't get it off, I don't know what will. Keep us posted.

Base plate removal

I always use a K&N Filter on my bikes (street and track). It has a nut on the end of it for easy on and off. Plus you can drill the nut to wire for trackbikes. More expensive, yes, but I avoid issues like these completely.

+1 I once had to lay my 720 pound ST1300 on its side for leverage to remove the oil filter the dealer put on for the PO. K&N every since

Dave.

• Member Contributer

HOLY HELLAOUS....It's been almost a WEEK!! (not that you had to be told that) Although I haven't had to deal with this & hope I never will, I think I do feel your pain dendron. I'm sorry I don't have any advice to offer but do wish you the best of luck & am interested to hear the final outcome.

+2 (or 3 or whatever) on the K&N. I keep a donut shaped magnet around the nut on the filter figuring it might help trap any small metal particles flowing thru it.

• Member Contributer

The chisel method previously described usually works.

As said before, get a long chisel or blade screwdriver and tap a notch into the edge of the baseplate. Then put the chisel into the notch, turn it at an angle and tap with a hammer. Just be sure you are tapping in the correct direction to turn the baseplatecounter clockwise.

I've looked though these post and if I missed it, sorry.

I would think most people know to put oil on the rubber oil ring of the filter before installing.... But if you don't, it's something to consider......... :fing02:

Tapping the base plate without scarring the motors metal would get my vote...

Good advice, all. I'm going to wait on the arrival of the Lisle tool from Amazon while there is still something left for it to grab onto. Failing that, the gloves are off, baby, it's the studs-on-baseplate method, then the chisel method. I'm crossing fingers here that the Lisle tool, when it arrives, doesn't simply crush what's left of the filter cartridge and require more drastic measures. The tool should arrive mid-week. I'll be checking back in with results/photos post operation. Hate to miss out on a beautiful 75 degree riding weekend, but, "And...so it goes," as Kurt (Vonnegut) would say.

Btw, I did apply fresh oil to the filter O-ring prior to installation...honest...really. I'm tellin' ya, it's that damn bogus spec in the manual. O.K., I know, I know...NOW! :angry:

Experience is the best teacher! :biggrin:

Foot pounds, Schmoot pounds.........I always just tightened oil filters on my bikes and cars with just my hands since I started wrenching on my own vehicles in the 80's. Only had one stuck one that was the original installed in the factory for my VFR (Got that one off with the screwdriver method). Otherwise never had a stuck filter or any that ever fell off or loosen up on me while on the road. And of one is nervous about just using their hands to tighten the filter, one can add a hose clamp and some safety wire to ensure that it does not loosen up on the road.

Beck

95 VFR

And the new champion oil filter removal tool is...(envelope please)...

The LISLE 63600 Import Car Filter Wrench!!

Yea, IT WORKED, IT WORKED! :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

At last, this bad boy is off and on the tarmac...10 seconds after fitting the LISLE tool!

post-14997-0-52075800-1299285673_thumb.j

Notice the failed Pacific Rim hose clamp worm drive screw pushed through its housing after a few good twists. Tapping on that just spun it around the canister.

post-14997-0-22093300-1299285594_thumb.j

The LISLE wrench is truly the pit bull of filter removal tools. The more you torque it the tighter it clamps down on the filter canister. No garage should be without one even if you do only hand tighten +.

post-14997-0-69069600-1299285728_thumb.j

• Member Contributer

Congrats dendron you won that battle!! That's awesome! What a relief that must be for you. I'm really glad something finally worked for you. Like the saying goes "If at first you don't succeed, try try again". You certainly did that many times over!!

• Member Contributer

Wow, I guess I'm gonna get one of those and add it to my collection.

btw - congrats!

• Member Contributer

Congratulations on winning the battle! Perseverance pays off again. I've had a few tough car and bike filters, but nothing like this epic battle. Thanks for posting your solution--could you post a pic of the actual wrench too? Where did you buy it? Thanks.

Congratulations on winning the battle! Perseverance pays off again. I've had a few tough car and bike filters, but nothing like this epic battle. Thanks for posting your solution--could you post a pic of the actual wrench too? Where did you buy it? Thanks.

Ahh, pics!

Simply insert a 3/8" extension into this square hole and twist to the left!

post-14997-0-70335800-1299300059_thumb.j

The other side...

post-14997-0-84976600-1299300139_thumb.j

Available here among other places: http://www.amazon.co..._lp_edpp_ttl_in

What's great about this tool is that it fits into very tight places, like a 6th gen filter access! I'm waaay impressed. And happy. :biggrin:

Thanks everybody for your input. This was a good learning experience for me. Hopefully, the LISLE tool will be something you add to your garage repertoire, 'cause it damn sure works. I appreciate all of the input, and I'm glad to be a member of this forum. Best...out.

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

this thing has never let me down...(dunno where I would buy one, Ive had it for years)

P8030150.jpg

I use one of these - it has NEVER failed to remove an oil filter, and fits nicely onto the VFR. Well, mine has a handle included as part of it but you get the idea.

Archived