What am I trying to correct?

CornerCarver

• Member Contributer

Boy, those have got a lot of meat on them... I guess they are going for the industrial look :huh:

Boy, those have got a lot of meat on them... I guess they are going for the industrial look :huh:

It's not that they have a lot of meat... well, it is,... but that's because they've skipped a lot of the dress-up features which drive up the labor and therefore the cost.

I do the same with my custom sets.

I made these for a guy who wanted to adapt Hayabusa forks to a GS1000-

8951136f.jpg

70f02bbf.jpg

This is one of the more fancy parts I've made. Still basic, but has a nice shape. Counterboring the stem pinch bolt was slightly challenging.

4D6B5C16-F230-44C8-9AFF-C4BB7C1A7761-288

6E6BB10E-6144-48E5-A360-56F4154E3177-288

B66EF175-ECA7-4287-A0FA-EF5BFC4BFAE4-288

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

It's not that they have a lot of meat... well, it is,... but that's because they've skipped a lot of the dress-up features which drive up the labor and therefore the cost.

I do the same with my custom sets.

...This is one of the more fancy parts I've made. Still basic, but has a nice shape. Counterboring the stem pinch bolt was slightly challenging.

I guess that is more accurate... the other shape was blocky, less work put into the aesthetics.

Your work looks outstanding with nice shape, form, and function. :beer:

• Member Contributer

Does anyone have a CAD drawing or similar format for 54/50 triples with VFR geometry to loan or sell that will allow me to provide to a machine shop for a quote?

• Member Contributer

Does this mean I get my $250 deposit back ?

??? Was there a custom triple group buy that I'm unaware of?

• Member Contributer

Anybody have VFR800, RC51, 929/954 steering stem available for measuring? What is the length of the steering stem?

Someone posted earlier a link to a fork conversion table for All Balls Racing and I'm trying to see if there are other options... the unknown is the steering stem length.

Just go buy a used Honda triple for as little $$ as possible, and take the stem out. In an accident, 9 times out of 10 the stem is fine and the triple gets tweaked. So finding a cheap tweaked triple with a good stem should be easy.

Then you can press that into your new custom lower triple.

• Member Contributer

The all balls site has the fork conversion. You look up your bike and it gives the steering head bearing ID, OD, and heights, and those of other bikes that are or are close to the same. It's up to you to figure out which bearings you need to use and decide if it is really going to work.

The all balls site has the fork conversion. You look up your bike and it gives the steering head bearing ID, OD, and heights, and those of other bikes that are or are close to the same. It's up to you to figure out which bearings you need to use and decide if it is really going to work.

It gives you bearing stack heights, not stem lengths.

• Member Contributer

It gives you bearing stack heights, not stem lengths.

Right, just bearing dimensions. So it will give you an idea if a different stem even has a chance to fit. Still need to get the stem lengths and compare.

• Member Contributer

CBR929/954: from base of the lower triple to the top 8"7/8. Bearing surfaces on the steering stem are spaced 7" apart (outer dimension).

Thanks Man!

Anybody know if the RC51 is the same?

Just go buy a used Honda triple for as little $$ as possible, and take the stem out. In an accident, 9 times out of 10 the stem is fine and the triple gets tweaked. So finding a cheap tweaked triple with a good stem should be easy.

Then you can press that into your new custom lower triple.

Will the VFR (or RC51 or 929/954) stem be long enough if the custom triples are... let's say, an 1" thick aluminum alloy?

• Member Contributer

In this day of customizing everything it is hard to believe nobody what produce a generic blank (Honda or Kawasaki or whatever) triple that can be bored to the bottom that you wanted to use ....

• Member Contributer

CBR929/954: from base of the lower triple to the top 8"7/8. Bearing surfaces on the steering stem are spaced 7" apart (outer dimension).

When using the CBR929/954 for a fork swap are there any threads exposed above the top nut? If yes, how far does it extend past the nut? If it doesn't extend beyond the nut is there complete engagement of all the nut threads with the steering stem?

• Member Contributer

Would a complete '01 CBR954 front end (forks, triples, wheel, rotors) be a pretty much straight bolt on for a 4th Gen?

• Member Contributer

In this day of customizing everything it is hard to believe nobody what produce a generic blank (Honda or Kawasaki or whatever) triple that can be bored to the bottom that you wanted to use ....

I wish it was that easy! In the end I've found that I can make custom triples to the precise dimensions I want for about the same price. It pays to have suppliers that you've developed a good relationship with!

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I wish it was that easy! In the end I've found that I can make custom triples to the precise dimensions I want for about the same price. It pays to have suppliers that you've developed a good relationship with!

:wheel:

• Member Contributer

I've spent hours researching offsets and trail numbers and reading Race Tech's Motorcycle Suspension Bible. The data shows most of the best handling bikes have around a 30mm offset with high 90s to low 100s trail values (CBRs, GSXRs, R1s... early R1s and RC51s are exceptions) and rakes of 23* to 24*; this was also confirmed by a reliable suspension expert.

The stock 5th gen VFR chassis geometry doesn't cut it for this application... and it wasn't designed too. No fault, no grandiose claims that I can engineer better than Honda. Just me attacking a challenge to take something I love and adapt it to a new, more specific application.

Based on this, and some more expert input, I'm going to shoot for an initial set-up of 30mm offset, around 102mm trail, and ~24* rake on my 5th gen track bike. My '09 ZX14 50/54 USD forks are scheduled for delivery tomorrow... so I can start the measuring and wrenching and stop the jabbering!!! Build thread to follow...

• Member Contributer

My unscientific and nearly accidental settings are CBR/RC51 offset, combined with the front as low as the clutch master cylinder allows (due to hitting the fork) and the rear end shimmed 5mm on the shock mount bolt. It's stock length, and that's where I ran out of threads. Turns out it works. At least for me.