What am I trying to correct?

CornerCarver

Have you had any chance to do anything more?

+1.gif

How long is the steering stem of the CB600F as IIRC the neck of the CB is quite a bit longer than that of my VFR. I can't find my notes right now but thought the CB is somewhere near 205mm and my 3rd gen VFR 170mm.

In the picture it looks like it is rather long:

stemlength.jpg

Is the neck of the later gen VFRs (5th & 6th) that much longer than the earlier versions?

• Member Contributer

OK, just got back from Vegas tonight...mocked up the front end. i really need a front wheel to work out my axle, bearing, spacer and brake rotor offset spacing/dimensions...

OK, what happened to the picture posting link???? I just figured out to post a pic last year :blush: and now the thing I used to click is gone...

i really need a front wheel to work out my axle, bearing, spacer and brake rotor offset spacing/dimensions...

I am getting a SP1 wheel (with 954 wheel bearings) as that looks very similar to my stock front wheel (6 spoke). Also the mating surfaces for the rotors are spaced 117mm apart so it seems stock SP1 rotors will work but are 320mm. 310mm Fireblade or CBR600RR rotors have the same bolt spacing and offset so are also an option if you do not want to use caliper spacers.

I also looked at what fender to use on the ZX fork and think the R6/R1 fender looks best and comes closest to the rear mounting bracket (yellow dot). It doesn't look too difficutl to fabricate the front mounting bracket.

spatbord.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

My forks are up Traxxion in Woodstock...should be back by next weekend...

My triples are at a local machine shop for some work. :blush:

When I mocked the front end up I did not yet have the lower bearing on and couldn't tell that the area where the stem goes is not the same from the VFR to the CB600F.

I have spoken to Patrick about it and he has made this change before but does not think it worth the cost to return ship to Italy and back to me. He recommended removeing "some" of the material that interfers on the lower triple and spacing the bearing upward, as the Cb600F has a longer steering stem than the 5th gen.

I didn't steering stems were still growing in length. I knew that that was one are of progress from the mid 80's to the late 90's as the triples being further apart provides more front end rigidity in the clamping of the fork tubes.

When I dropped the forks off at traxxion we found that one of them was bent and about 15 thousandths out, they will also straighten both forks (the other was out 3-5 thousandths - the tech said this is caused by overtightening the triple clamp on the fork tube.)

Here are a few pics to explain what I am seeing.

Once I have the details worked out I may make 5-10 kits for sale if there are enough guys interested. PM now if you want and i will keep you up to date with additional info.

gallery_7288_2662_274842.jpg

space above the triple for top mounted clip ons...

gallery_7288_2662_870318.jpg

Not too bad but the ZX14R clip ons have to go...look kinda weird with the bolt holes.

gallery_7288_2662_71795.jpg

A little tight so I will work out the wheel and brake selection option when I get the forks back....prolly going with a set of wheels from OZ.

• Member Contributer

space above the triple for top mounted clip ons...

You had to raise the forks 1" through the triples to get stock geometry?

No, the ZX14R forks are pretty long. I will get the exact dimensions on them when they come back from Traxxion next week but I matched the distance of the front axle from the steering stem bearing and had plenty of room above the top triple for the bars to mount.

much to do still but Friday I saw the steering stem and it has been pressed out and cut down to the correct lenght. The bottom triple goes into the lathe (or vise) this week...getting tight on time to source wheels for this conversion....

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

OK, I have the forks and triples back in my hands finally.

I pressed the bearing on and mounted the triples, slide the forks into place and put the axle in.

Started to repeat my measurements taken prior to disassembly, and found that I couldn't find my notes from a month ago.... :mellow:

So, can anyone compare these numbers for me?

With approximately 25.4mm of fork tube showing above the top clamp I have:

524mm from the bottom of the steering neck to the center of the axle.

I have 162mm between the inside surface of each axle.

It apprears that the fork tubes are centered 203mm apart and that I have 133 mm between the brake caliper centers.

I think that the fork spacing should have been 205mm and the process of boring the CBR600F triples to the proper fork diameter has changed the fork tube spacing.

Can anyone tell me what their distance is from the bottom of the steering neck to the center of their axle with stock geometry?

Also, anyone with prior Frankenviffer experience know of wheel/brake options with similar measurements that may only require spacers to be fabbed?

Lastly, anyone in the Atlanta area have a front wheel with a 25mm axle that I can use to mock before laying out the cash for a wheel and brakes that "Might" fit?

Thanks,

keith

• 1 month later...

The '10 CBR1000RR has rotor outer surface to outer surface distance of 138mm measured by me. That works out to 133mm center to center with 5mm rotor thickness. This should be the same for '08 onwards and the axle is Ø25mm and rotors are Ø320mm. Hope this helps :fing02:

OK, I have the forks and triples back in my hands finally.

I pressed the bearing on and mounted the triples, slide the forks into place and put the axle in.

Started to repeat my measurements taken prior to disassembly, and found that I couldn't find my notes from a month ago.... :mellow:

So, can anyone compare these numbers for me?

With approximately 25.4mm of fork tube showing above the top clamp I have:

524mm from the bottom of the steering neck to the center of the axle.

I have 162mm between the inside surface of each axle.

It apprears that the fork tubes are centered 203mm apart and that I have 133 mm between the brake caliper centers.

I think that the fork spacing should have been 205mm and the process of boring the CBR600F triples to the proper fork diameter has changed the fork tube spacing.

Can anyone tell me what their distance is from the bottom of the steering neck to the center of their axle with stock geometry?

Also, anyone with prior Frankenviffer experience know of wheel/brake options with similar measurements that may only require spacers to be fabbed?

Lastly, anyone in the Atlanta area have a front wheel with a 25mm axle that I can use to mock before laying out the cash for a wheel and brakes that "Might" fit?

Thanks,

keith

• Member Contributer

The '10 CBR1000RR has rotor outer surface to outer surface distance of 138mm measured by me. That works out to 133mm center to center with 5mm rotor thickness. This should be the same for '08 onwards and the axle is Ø25mm and rotors are Ø320mm. Hope this helps :fing02:

For what it's worth, I measured the RC51 from the outside edges of the rotors and got 141-142ish.

• Member Contributer

Well, with this gallery_7288_2662_639973.jpg

2011 05 02 16 19 52 851

and the recovery from it I was not able to complete the conversion before TxMac.

So I bought Earthshakes 5th gen. :cheerleader:

For the past 3-4 years, every time I saw him and his bike I called "dibs" on it whenever he was ready to sell.

I am sure that you have probably read that he bought a Ducati Multistrada last month so...he made me an offer Ii could not refuse on his VFR.

I rode it home from Greenville this past Saturday (collar bone was still a little tender two weeks after the surgery) but I need to set the sag, change the front brake pads (incuded by Bill - what a guy!) and get ready for the ride...I will pick this project back up as time allows. At least I have a bike VFR to ride while I am working on this conversion...also was able to pick up an 848 front rim to test the fit.

more to come, maybe in June-July.

Finn, thanks for the heads up on the CBR rotor spacing...It's good to have friends and options on parts. :fing02:

That's a lot of hardware they've put into your collar bone :mellow:

btw, if you increase contrast of the x-ray by a fair amount you'll notice there is an alien hiding in there :blink:

gallery72882662639974.jpg

:laugh:

Contrats on the addition to the stable :fing02:

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

We'll have to talk at TMac, I'm wondering about the single nut axle. Specifically if you can get a second made, and at what cost... :idea3:

Let's get the '01 finished up, I've got ideas for other spare parts you have laying around in the garage!

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

Life happened.

It is not completed but I actually have the triples on it today as I have been playing with it a bit over the weekend while my suspension on my new to me 98 was at Traxxion Dynamics.

I have to sork out a little issue with steering stops since I had to clearance the lower triple due to major differences between the bikes.

I also have to work out the rotor offset to match up with the 848 front rim and perhaps some spacer (wheels and calipers) issues before it gets the final install.

And riding season is upon us once again. If I just had a spare 5th gen frame for mock ups while I ride...

Thanks for the update :D yes life does get in the way - I have this same issue with my other projects - I am a fan of the old Datsun 240z/260z (we did not get the 280z like the US/CA the 260z went on until 77) and I have 2 x 260z 2 seaters, one race car and one long term road car project. Both are in bits needing time and $$ on them the road car has been a 16 year project so far.

My issue with the zed is VFR's - I keep getting side tracked with purchasing of VFR's. I sold my first 240z race car back in 97 so I could purchase a Silver 98 VFR - which I sold...should not have done that....a few other bikes and zed went through the garage over the years. VFR400 NC30, 04 VFR800 purchased new - sold, a 08 VFR800 purchase in 2010 - sold in 2011 to make way for the 260z race car project.

But now back on a 01 VFR800 in blue :D

I am interested how this project goes as it is one thing I am looking to do with this VFR800 I have now - what I am calling the keeper. Once I finish and sell the road car 260z never know I might get another VFR800 - there is mint low KMs 1999 Anniversary Model for sale locally so one standard keeper and one modified keeper might on the cards ;)

So interested to know about how these custom triples work out.

• Member Contributer

Well, I was busy this weekend working on the M3...a few goodies from Brembo

IMG 0151[1]

But I managed to mock up the ZX forks again on the new 98...

IMG 0155[1]

IMG 0152[1]

I have 55mm of tube showing above the top triple, (just because I was putting it together by myself and didn't want them to hit the floor before I got a few turns on the pinch bolts) and 500mm between the lower frame mount for the front fairing stay.
This is about 24mm higher than the notes that I can find for the 2001 when I started this project.
The big things I was testing here was full lock to lock turning...and it is good! Finally. I will have to finesse the throttle cables and assorted electrical but it finally goes from side to side with the fork tubes just a hair away from the frame and the re-ground stops right at the lower frame section.
I probably wont be able to lock the steering but I can count on one hand the number of times I have done so in the past 8 years...
I will leave it like this and take some more measurements for brake rotor offset and spacers tomorrow...

IMG 0154[1]

how is the length of the Kawi forks compared to the VFR stockers??

RC51 SP2 fork is 28-13/16" from the top of the blue preload cap (excluding adjuster) to the axle centerline (close as I could get with a measuring tape).

I run my forks right level with the collars of the clipons, but I have a gullwing upper triple from the 929/954.

looks great

So these are the triple clamps you have http://imaspecialparts.com/m3c/ ? standard 40mm offset just like the stock VFR800 triple clamps.

Would be cool it these clamps work out and he can make a mod to them so the stops work and the stem setup for the VFR - out of the box triple with the stock offset but for 50/54mm USD fork conversions.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by nzeder

• Member Contributer

The ZedX forks are 30" from cap to center of axle.

My VFR forks are 30 5/16" and I usually have about 3/4" of fork tube showing above the top of my clip ons.