Difference between VFR v cross runner ?

Guest rapsidy

Guest rapsidy

what will it do different than VFR?

does it go off road or what does it do differently other wise its just a vfr? well sorta

My questions is can I put those clips ons on my vfr :cheerleader: yes /no ??? :comp13:

• Member Contributer

Nope - they don't claim any real off-road credentials - I guess the big difference is the upright ergos and longer travel suspension. Oh and ABS is standard which we've never even had as an option on our sub-7th Gen Viffers in Oz - effing retarded if you ask me :dry:

• Member Contributer

Oh and ABS is standard which we've never even had as an option on our sub-7th Gen Viffers in Oz - effing retarded if you ask me :dry:

Totally agree.

I wonder if the ABS system would switch across easily though.....

Probably easier to buy a US 6th-gen and ship it over here. Wonder if I could claim it's a nonexistent model here because it has ABS and the official imports don't?

• Member Contributer

It seems like it's a remake of the Varadero, but using spare parts from left over 6th gens, and no off-road credentials. So it's for people who like the bulk of an ADV bike, but want to stick to the road, and sit straight up. Guess they didn't want the CB1000?

- I guess the big difference is the upright ergos and longer travel suspension.

Well acctually the Crossrunner has 1mm shorter wheel travel both front and rear than the VTEC!

Other than that crossrunner has: 11mm higher seat height, 4kg less weight in running order. 7hp less power and a 4mm longer wheelbase that the VTEC.

So my guess is the Crossrunner is a slightly detuned VTEC whit a slightly longer forklegs and a rised tail and new bodywork.

• Member Contributer

According to what I read, the Crossrunner has about two more inches in the front and about an inch in the rear. CrossRunner has 165 mm front and 145 mm rear. VTEC has about 109 and 119 according to Honda websites.

The Crossrunner travel should be enough for rough road pavement or dirt roads but not MX worthy.

Well acctually the Crossrunner has 1mm shorter wheel travel both front and rear than the VTEC!

According to the press kit you are right, but on Honda's website it says 165mm for the front and 145mm for the rear so substantially more than the VTEC.

What about the clip ons would you be able to put them on a vtec???

I suppose so, at least it has the same 43mm stanchions. In a few weeks there is a motorcycle show here and I am pretty sure the crossrunner will be on display. I'll make some close-ups of the clip-ons.

• Member Contributer

Screw ups with tech specs are not uncommon with new releases it seems. I remember reading at first that the new Triumph GT had over 6 gallons of gas instead of around 5 or the same as the old ST tank. These postings are not from typical interested users but as original content on MC websites. Some of the mistakes I guess are made in the mm to inch conversion routine.

I remember reading the Crossrunner short travel suspension specs on one website and wondering how that could that be. The bottom line is that the Crossrunner has more travel which is great till you really want to haul ass on good payment. I think the extra travel would be appreciated on tour or on an occassional dirt road. I did hit one massive pothole in Alaska that would have eaten my 5th gen.

Found this little snippet online:

â– VTEC system with refined fuelling and ignition maps combine for a smooth progressive power delivery, abundant torque and precise control

Hmmm, maybe after a few are crashed, wrecked, and show up on EBAY, someone with a VFR-VTEC might attempt an ECU swap? :comp13:

Found this little snippet online:

â– VTEC system with refined fuelling and ignition maps combine for a smooth progressive power delivery, abundant torque and precise control

Hmmm, maybe after a few are crashed, wrecked, and show up on EBAY, someone with a VFR-VTEC might attempt an ECU swap? :comp13:

Maybe in their infinite wisdom*, Honda re-tuned the ecu for more low end, and less above the transition, explaining the 7hp drop. So, pretty useless on a VFR. I'd rather drop a gear since I'll be on pavement and not on a well groomed fire road where I can't(shouldn't) wind the rpms out...

* (coughcoughBScoughcough)

Maybe in their infinite wisdom*, Honda re-tuned the ecu for more low end, and less above the transition, explaining the 7hp drop. So, pretty useless on a VFR. I'd rather drop a gear since I'll be on pavement and not on a well groomed fire road where I can't(shouldn't) wind the rpms out...

* (coughcoughBScoughcough)

I was thinking about the "refined fueling" more than anything else, as there has been plenty of bitching and moaning about the VFR-VTEC throttle response since 2002.

If you lost 7 HP, gained 5 ft/lbs of torque, and the thing ran beautifully and wasn't snatchy, maybe that's a good thing? After all, we spend 99% of the time in the low to midrange anyhow, right?

I was thinking about the "refined fueling" more than anything else, as there has been plenty of bitching and moaning about the VFR-VTEC throttle response since 2002.

I think you whinny gear driven non-vtec owners should just step away from the Change Vtec screen and leave that thought to Vtec owners, if needed! :491:

BTW I've never bitched about my Vtec's throttle response in that last 80k + miles or the last nine years. :goofy:

:lobby:

BR

If you lost 7 HP, gained 5 ft/lbs of torque, and the thing ran beautifully and wasn't snatchy, maybe that's a good thing? After all, we spend 99% of the time in the low to midrange anyhow, right?

The crossrunner is both low on max HP & max torque compared to the VTEC:

VTEC: 80 kW (109HP)/ 10.500min-1 (95/1/EC) <> 80 Nm / 8.750 t.p.m. (95/1/EC)

CR: 74.9kW (102HP)/10,000min-1 (95/1/EC) <> 72.8Nm/9,500min-1 (95/1/EC)

The crossrunner is both low on max HP & max torque compared to the VTEC:

VTEC: 80 kW (109HP)/ 10.500min-1 (95/1/EC) <> 80 Nm / 8.750 t.p.m. (95/1/EC)

CR: 74.9kW (102HP)/10,000min-1 (95/1/EC) <> 72.8Nm/9,500min-1 (95/1/EC)

Oh, well then.......... :owned:

• Member Contributer

I do not like the off throttle snatch on my 5th gen or for that matter even my Wing.

The gentle pull of the "high tech" carburetor on my KLR is much better and or smoother in low speed scenarios. Maybe if you are giving up HP and Torque we are looking at response way down low like Seb says.

A used PC3 & cozye's map is so much simpler and cheaper than attempting to retrofit new Honda parts? Pretty sure I gained lots of throttle smoothness, and an hp & tq or 2, along with better driveability with the PC3.

According to the press kit you are right, but on Honda's website it says 165mm for the front and 145mm for the rear so substantially more than the VTEC.

:huh:

I guess the Finnish Honda site still has the press kit info on their site then, becorse thats where I got the numbers from.

I have not been able to determine whether or not the CrossRunner actually has VTEC?

Anyone know?

I haven't seen it mentioned on any of the Honda webistes but on page 5 of Red Rider it says the engine is derived from the VFR800FI (which is the fifth gen) but a bit further on it does mention VTEC.

• 1 month later...

Archived