Neglected VFR

Guest Scot

I bought a crashed VFR800 last summer for not a lot of money. Mechanically, sound..just bashed up from numerous driveway drops and fall overs from drunk friends hopping on it. (It lived in a garage where beer pong was a favorite)

Aside from a scratch, the tank was perfect so I snatched it up.

I rode it around the latter part of last summer and decided to tear it down this winter. I'm in the process of putting it back together.

Anyways....

I got my wheels back from being powdercoated and have been replacing broken fairing mounts, foot pegs, and the like. I have a new RK chain and sprocket kit, brakes, wheel bearings, steering head bearings, fork seals and so on. I've done the valve check (they were in spec) TB sync, plugs, oil twice, coolant, all brake fluid, clutch fluid, and rebuilt the mast cylinder.

My mods so far are slip on, corbin seat, and that's it. maybe a set of risers and maybe a rear shock and fork springs.

I've spent a TON of time cleaning everything I can. This thing was rough when I got it.

I also ordered a nicecycle fairing set I'll report on.

sorry for the shit pics

also sorry for the kids stuff everywhere. My man cave is the graveyard for baby toys past.

5391081494_30e003c84e_b.jpg

5391081148_6131b81791_b.jpg

Upside, it's only got 30k on it and it runs harder than my last 3 VFRs. (3rd, 4th, and previous 5th gen) I also rode a 6th gen for about 6 months while a friend was traveling. IMO, the 3rd and 5th gen were my favorites. 6th least.

Upside, it's only got 30k on it and it runs harder than my last 3 VFRs. (3rd, 4th, and previous 5th gen) I also rode a 6th gen for about 6 months while a friend was traveling. IMO, the 3rd and 5th gen were my favorites. 6th least.

Sounds like a great deal and a great experience making it right. In addition to the mods you're considering, I'd suggest adding a PCIII and having it dyno-tuned. Really livens up the mid-range and smooths the entire power curve. Probably $500-600 retail, all-in, but it's worth it.

Sounds like a great deal and a great experience making it right. In addition to the mods you're considering, I'd suggest adding a PCIII and having it dyno-tuned. Really livens up the mid-range and smooths the entire power curve. Probably $500-600 retail, all-in, but it's worth it.

Noted...but honestly, I've never had any of my VFRs jetted or PCIII'ed. I've been very pleased with their performance. $600 is almost a rear shock!

Some bikes need to be rejetted or have the power curve/throttle response fixed with jetting or a remap....but I've always had good luck with viffers.

I might have to find someone with one tuned and take it for a spin.

and to further add...I could have bought a used bike in perfect condition and saved 1000 dollars with all the money and time I've spent fixing it. I felt like this bike needed saving. I wanted to fix it and make it right. Plus, it's giving me something to do over the winter. Bad money decision...but I'll know this bike top to bottom.

• Member Contributer

Congrats on the find brother. It looks like it is in the same stage of build as the project I am working. I look forward to seeing it change.

Chairs mate

Pretty sure that wheel color is the same that I had done recently on a set of mine. Nice choice!

I like the pipe too.

It's dupont's only offering for gold.

do you have a picture of your bike? I haven't seen what it will look like with fairing yet.

What year- '98 or '99?

Nice looking wheels!

Keeping it red?

I've replaced the OEM fairings with new OEM with the exception of the left side which wasn't all that bad. I decided to give the nicecycle stuff a try anyway. I went with the Xerox scheme. Apparently, after I ordered.....I realized that's what most people do. Oh well. heh

• Member Contributer

What year- '98 or '99?

Nice looking wheels!

Keeping it red?

I've replaced the OEM fairings with new OEM with the exception of the left side which wasn't all that bad. I decided to give the nicecycle stuff a try anyway. I went with the Xerox scheme. Apparently, after I ordered.....I realized that's what most people do. Oh well. heh

Dangit! Couldn't see the headers crossover in the pic until I enlarged it! D'oh! :blush:

Body work is now in NY. I hope it arrives by the weekend.

If so, and provided my wife gets over the flu and my kid doesn't catch it, I should have it on shortly.

Do you know the Dupont power code or name for those gold wheels? They look very nice, I would also like to see a pic of them w/ the fairings on.

EFD400M9

If you want, I think I have more than enough left to do another set of wheels. I'll send it to you for the cost of shipping.

Edited by Scot

Nicecycle fairings are here and I have unboxed the large pieces. First off, the reds in the Xerox paint scheme and the factory red is not close. The Xerox kit is tomato red. Understand that this is under garage light and not sunlight. So it may be better once it's out. The nicecycle guy said they were very close. He and I differ on that.

The paint is decent. It's glossy and seems to be semi professional. For the money, the paint is better than what I expected. The fairings themselves are in no way equal to that of a factory fairing. The matte black plastic pieces had molding marks and show areas of imperfections. I think the fairings would too if I had gotten them unpainted. Painting them conceals it. I have yet to fit anything. I hope to start that soon.

So far, it's worth the price but if you want a factory fresh Honda VFR, this ain't your route.

Edited by Scot

Good feedback so far Scot...

I've been wrestling with this stuff for an hour. So far I have the tail section on, the upper, and the front fender. I am not impressed. I held right side fairing up to get an idea of how it's going to look and there appears to be a gap due to differing contours on the side of the upper where it meets the right fairing. I'm frustrated with it right now and am trying hard not to send it back to nicecycle. I'll work with it again in a day or two.

this stuff is GARBAGE. Junk. I've taken it off, put it back on, taking it off...put the stock stuff back on...just to make sure I'm not missing a step.

I'll be in contact with nicecycle about a return and sweet 20% restocking fee. If this stuff fits better than the cheap knockoff stuff on ebay, I'd really hate to see that stuff.

Personally, I think it's the exact stuff you see on ebay...they just mark it up $200 for the phone support.

And why would I call for support? It.doesn't.fit. What's he going to tell me on the phone?

Here's one of the things I'm talking about. The side fairing is mounted at the side. It's sitting exactly how it sits on the bike once bolted up.

5419197032_2bba8a9941_b.jpg

this stuff is GARBAGE. Junk. I've taken it off, put it back on, taking it off...put the stock stuff back on...just to make sure I'm not missing a step.

I'll be in contact with nicecycle about a return and sweet 20% restocking fee. If this stuff fits better than the cheap knockoff stuff on ebay, I'd really hate to see that stuff.

Personally, I think it's the exact stuff you see on ebay...they just mark it up $200 for the phone support.

And why would I call for support? It.doesn't.fit. What's he going to tell me on the phone?

Here's one of the things I'm talking about. The side fairing is mounted at the side. It's sitting exactly how it sits on the bike once bolted up.

5419197032_2bba8a9941_b.jpg

does it have the same incorrect contour for the left side?