PAIR valve removal. Worth it?

yycviffer

I ran with the hose that came to it, unplugged, for a good 100 km. I thought that was the horn :). Anything that could have gotten damaged by riding like that? Thank you.

• 2 years later...
  • Member Contributer

Just got some PAIR valve "block-off" plates. Will be doing this mod sometime this summer.

Cheers! E-Ticket

Aw- you didnt get mine?

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/78507-pair-valve-plates-for-5th-6th-gens/

:smile:

Just got some PAIR valve "block-off" plates. Will be doing this mod sometime this summer.

Cheers! E-Ticket

Aw- you didnt get mine?

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/78507-pair-valve-plates-for-5th-6th-gens/

:smile:

Dang it! Well, I would of ... had I been able to find your thread! lol.

And believe, I searched for *all* of the possible PAIR valve threads -- but somehow missed that particular thread / your parts.

Sorry, bwana! E-Ticket

• Member Contributer

Yeah, I'll be doing mine after the plates come in, which I've been told should be next week sometime.

Parts shipped, should see about Wednesday. :beer:

• Member Contributer

I ran with the hose that came to it, unplugged, for a good 100 km. I thought that was the horn :). Anything that could have gotten damaged by riding like that? Thank you.

i doubt this would cause anything major; you'd just get a tiny air leak into the manifold so it would be just a touch leaner running. Be the same as a mis adjusted starter valve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer

What's the thinking on these mods for a 5th gen,pair valve removal and flapper mod? is it worth doing and can it cause any harm?

I read another forum which explained just unplugging and taping up the wiring at the airbox, then taking the vacuum hose off the flapper and blocking the vacuum pipe and the flapper valve was an easy quick way of doing it,the snorkel removal seemed to increase intake noise but has no other benefit,according to what I read.

I think I need to fit an end can of some sort anyway,the stock exhaust is a bit too quite.

I have the idle set at 1100rpm, I notice sometimes when taking off she can die out unless I keep the revs up and slip the clutch,should I adjust the idle higher? thanks.

• Member Contributer

PAIR removal simply takes out a whole lot of clutter that has no effect on performance; you can just block the hoses with a marble but chucking all of the solenoid, hoses and reed valves in the bin is quite satisfying.

I quite like the flapper disconnect, it is 100% reversible in seconds, makes no difference to performance but on my racer days I really prefer the sound. With the flapper in place I get a sudden increase in airbox noise at 5500; with the flapper disconnected the engine sound is more harmonious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never understood the fuss about pair valves. My stock 98 I just got last spring runs SO nice! At all RPM's. I was installing some electrical mods recently and noticed some black block off plates on my pair valves! Doh!! No plumbing in sight!

What do ya know..

So who made the black plates? Looks like painted steel with gaskets underneath. Bike runs supremely smooth. Dont want to change a thing.

• Member Contributer

PAIR is mainly to manage emission norms (I believe). I had blocked of the pair pipes using a ball bearing after I replaced my baffles. Before that there was a lot of popping at de-acceleration.

Even tried customizing my PC3. After blocking off all went away.

I have now completely removed the PAIR plumbing and blocked it off with plates.

Archived