Z chain cleaner / oiler for your chain

AnikMankar

• Member Contributer

Had purchased this "Z chain cleaner" sometime back but never got down to use it. Must say it does make the cleaning process a little easy.

The kit comes with the plastic cleaner, transparent tube, a cord to hold the kit in place.(You can see how dirty my chain is)

gallery_16926_5738_302461.jpg

01. Z Chain Cleaner attached.jpg

First the dry cleaning. After installation turned the wheel couple of times - anti clock wise till all the hard stuff comes out. Purchased an injection from a medical store. This was used to pour the kerosene in.

gallery_16926_5738_419966.jpg

02. injection used to control the cleaner.jpg

Turn the wheel around again while simultaneously pressing the injection.

gallery_16926_5738_436169.jpg

03. Kerosene-paraffin to clean.jpg

couple of turns and 5 min later, the chain was clean

gallery_16926_5738_650659.jpg

04. Cleaned chain.jpg

gallery_16926_5738_413201.jpg

05. Z chain cleaner - after cleaning.jpg

the mess cleaning (I) left behind

gallery_16926_5738_218243.jpg

06. junk on the floor.jpg

Replaced the injection with the chain lube and same process again. The lube was evenly spread around the chain no wastage on the rim or else where.

Where did you buy this from? I was just looking around for something similar to this.

Using a steel brush on an oring chain is bad, just hose it with wd40 the take a rag and run through your fingers , It needs no more cleaning than that.

Where did you buy this from? I was just looking around for something similar to this.

Using a steel brush on an oring chain is bad, just hose it with wd40 the take a rag and run through your fingers , It needs no more cleaning than that.

it looks like plastic brushes, not steel... so it would be fine for the o,x,or z-rings (just as long as you go in the right direction). but it add to the pics... it looks like the chain needs a bath too from all the gunk that was on it

• Member Contributer

Had purchased this "Z chain cleaner" sometime back but never got down to use it. Must say it does make the cleaning process a little easy.

The kit comes with the plastic cleaner, transparent tube, a cord to hold the kit in place.(You can see how dirty my chain is)

gallery_16926_5738_302461.jpg

01. Z Chain Cleaner attached.jpg

First the dry cleaning. After installation turned the wheel couple of times - anti clock wise till all the hard stuff comes out. Purchased an injection from a medical store. This was used to pour the kerosene in.

couple of turns and 5 min later, the chain was clean

gallery_16926_5738_650659.jpg

04. Cleaned chain.jpg

the mess cleaning (I) left behind

Is that rust I see?

• Member Contributer

Looks a bit gimmicky for me.

Happy to use an assortment of rags and kero for most of the cleaning.

A soft brass brush for the side plates etc.

Last time I used something plastic (toothbrush) with kero, it all just fell apart :huh:

Guest dendron

I use the "Grime Minister" plus kerosene:

ts_grimeminbrsh_MD.jpg

It just requires a little elbow grease. I'm sure your method is equally effective, it's simply a different way to skin the same kitty.

• Member Contributer

Is that rust I see?

a little - has been there from the time I bought the bike. New chain / sprocket in stock...will replace it when this gets bad

• Member Contributer

just hose it with wd40 the take a rag and run through your fingers , It needs no more cleaning than that.

I would not use WD40 on chain as a lube...my experience is that WD40 is more a penetrating agent than lubricant. WD40 will clean the chain but you will still require to lube it else the chain will end up dry.

• Member Contributer

The steel brushes looks like they may be harsh on the o-rings, should it come in contact with them.

I've nearly given up on all aerosol lube and lube formulas. Most cling great; they all pick up a lot of road grime. I use synthetic 80/90 gear oil applied w/ a HF pressure oiler. I live with the fling, the more frequent application, but the chain always remains clean.

• Member Contributer

The steel brushes looks like they may be harsh on the o-rings, should it come in contact with them.

This is high grade plastic nothing steel in there ....

• Member Contributer

I've nearly given up on all aerosol lube and lube formulas. Most cling great; they all pick up a lot of road grime. I use synthetic 80/90 gear oil applied w/ a HF pressure oiler. I live with the fling, the more frequent application, but the chain always remains clean.

I have used a Scottoiler for 10 years on my Fi-W and whilst it is pretty much maintenance free, there is still quite a bit of oil fling onto the license plate even at the minimum setting.

When I bought my 08 Vtec last year, I was recommended to try Wurth Dry Lube and I have to admit that I far prefer it to the Scottoiler. No fling, no dirt accumulating on the chain which remains clean and only needs a quick spray every 500miles or so.

• Member Contributer

I tried that chain cleaner and after a few uses the plastic "box" would not stay latched and closed. Now I use this product with a grunge brush (plastic bristles), and a rag with a soybean oil based cleaner and then lube with Dupont mult-purpose lubricant...

My link

Dupont lubricant