Renthal diamond grips - anyone using them? Long term grip reviews

SEBSPEED

I was about 16,000 miles into my Progrip 719's with my previous bike. Plenty of life left in them until that fateful day....

Only reason I haven't tried them yet is that I really like the diamond grip pattern.

• 1 year later...

Update time!

I like the kevlar grips, but they are worn enough that they look beat and don't grip like they used to. I replaced them last weekend with a set of new OEM Honda grips. The grips are stock items for a 93-98 CBR900RR. So far I really like them. They seem to have a dual compound material that cushions and provides grip, and the pattern is to my liking as well.

Let's see if these can make it past a year of use before deteriorating...

Oh, the other really nice thing about the 900 grips is they are cheap! About $12 for the pair at my local dealer.

I had a set of Renthals like this for a while and loved the texture but they were hard as a rock. Went back to the stock grips.

Renthal-Grips.jpg

I put same grips on my RC51. I like them, but they are hard. They are also very small diameter, but I like the feel.

Renthals look and feel like they could be nice grips.....if only they made their "medium" compound in black, or other colors and not just grey (that I guess, will only match the grey saddles on 3rd gen VFRs)..... That's the only reason I have not bought them yet for my VFR and stayed with Pro Grip gels in the diamond "file" pattern.

I had a set of Renthals like this for a while and loved the texture but they were hard as a rock. Went back to the stock grips.

Renthal-Grips.jpg

I put same grips on my RC51. I like them, but they are hard. They are also very small diameter, but I like the feel.

I would like to strongly urge both of you to give the CBR900RR grips a try. They are very nice. I now have them on the VTEC and the CB.

• 1 year later...

Update time!

I like the kevlar grips, but they are worn enough that they look beat and don't grip like they used to. I replaced them last weekend with a set of new OEM Honda grips. The grips are stock items for a 93-98 CBR900RR. So far I really like them. They seem to have a dual compound material that cushions and provides grip, and the pattern is to my liking as well.

Let's see if these can make it past a year of use before deteriorating...

Oh, the other really nice thing about the 900 grips is they are cheap! About $12 for the pair at my local dealer.

Another update:

Both sets of grips saw less use over the last year than I would have liked. That said, they are holding up well and I have to say that I like these a lot and I will be buying more of these grips over the coming years to put on other bikes.

The rubber compound is of the same relative density/durometer rating, but because of the design difference I find these to have more grip and feel than the stock VFR grips. I'm confident they will last a long time.

I got the idea for using these after parting out a 900RR - the bike had over 30,000 miles on it and the grips were still serviceable while the rest of the bike looked very rough. Didn't look like they had been replaced (I cut them off to check).

Grab a set and try'em out!

• Member Contributer

I had a '01 with 105,000 mi. when it was totaled. Still had the OEM grips and they were great shape. Having bought a couple of other fifth gens that came with aftermarket grips that did not last beyond 40,000 mi, I have to say OEM grips are much more durable. Nothing but OEM for me.