Replacement Grips

Willy

• Member Contributer

I know we all have favorites.

I bought a used 6th gen last fall. It came with very large diameter foam grips. They're okay.

I'll be swapping to Heli Bars as a first upgrade and I'm curious if there are any particular brands or styles to consider. I'm not a race rocket. And most of my rides are - and will be - limited to day rides of a couple hundred miles at a shot. I did a forum search and didn't find any threads on this.

I appreciate any opinions out there. Thanks in advance, Willy

• Member Contributer

I like the larger diameter, and firmness of my heated grips. My hands were cramping with the stockers. I have big hands.

I had foam grips on my GTS. Never cared for 'em. Too much insulation from the bars. I don't care for thick gloves either which is why I love the heated grips. I can wear thinner gloves for better feel.

I am a fan of the stock grips. They last forever. Not as squishy as some others, but I lik'em.

Yes to this, but I think I'm going to try a set of Renthal diamond grips in the harder compound.

• Member Contributer

The stock grips feel as thin as a pencil to me. I just installed Koso heated grips and they are just the right diameter. I'll slip Grip Puppies over them for long rides (for comfort).

It depends what your looking for in your grip comfort or feel. I can attest to progrips and many dealers/ cycle part stores stock many different types of them. I have the progrip 719 and recently put grip

puppies on top of them and they are awesome. I was looking for something a little bigger and they seem perfect. for 9.80 shipped you can't really go wrong.

When buying them don't worry about grip glue or any of that stuff. I have been using hair spray for years and its even easier to put them on then using soapy water.

I just cut the old ones off and slide the new one on with a healthy amount of hair spray and it dries almost instantly and won't ever slip.

I never really liked all the fancy schmansy grip designs they have out there with all sorts of doodad patterns that mostly do not really add to the grip's performance, plus the grips tend to age, looks-wise, and all of the sudden they just look cheap.

I just stay with Pro Grips with the simple fine file pattern (Dont remember what model number it is).gallery_285_20_390561.jpg

Switch.jpg Here's my OEM Style Grip heater switch install I did to my 4th gen<br /><br />Beck 95 VFR

and they feel good and look great forever!

Beck

95 VFR

Back in the 80;s I normally didnt wear gloves, and I luved foam grips. Im still using stock grips going into the 5 year mark on the VFR. They last a long time, but they would be horrible without gloves.

• Member Contributer

Personally, I prefer the thick foam Grip Puppies. I fnd it more comfortable gripping them, especially on a long ride,over the thin, hard stock grips.

+1.gif+1.gif

I use these on my Bike and couple that with the Tourmaster Gloves I use with the Gel Palm and wow my hands feel great.

gallery_18346_5521_1037274.jpg

DSC05348.JPG

• Member Contributer

All, thanks for the suggestions. It's given me an inventory of ideas to look into. I've liked the grip puppies ok but they are a bit large and mushy. But I don't have much personal experience to compare them to. So your replies will be helpful and as I make the changeover I'll post back up. Only problem now is shelling out for Heli Bars when I have 20 other projects around her I need to finish first...

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

All, thanks for the suggestions. It's given me an inventory of ideas to look into. I've liked the grip puppies ok but they are a bit large and mushy. But I don't have much personal experience to compare them to. So your replies will be helpful and as I make the changeover I'll post back up. Only problem now is shelling out for Heli Bars when I have 20 other projects around her I need to finish first...

Cheers!

I have the 07 Anniv RWB and installed Heli Bars too. I went with Rizoma grips simply because they look so sick. Metal grips obviously won't be as comfy, but they do give great grip and they look incredible. I'll try to get a pic of them and post soon.

gallery_21130_5755_606673.jpg

DSCN1560.JPG

gallery_21130_5755_14186.jpg

DSCN1561.JPG

• Member Contributer

I've gone through a couple sets of Pro Grips - I think the number was 719. (Going from a failing memory).

Do I buy the "closed end" or the "open end" model for my 06 vfr?

Thanks in advance,

---David

• Member Contributer

I have the 07 Anniv RWB and installed Heli Bars too. I went with Rizoma grips simply because they look so sick. Metal grips obviously won't be as comfy, but they do give great grip and they look incredible. I'll try to get a pic of them and post soon.

gallery_21130_5755_606673.jpg

DSCN1560.JPG

gallery_21130_5755_14186.jpg

DSCN1561.JPG

Those Rizomas do look nice. I had a set of Driven D3's that look very similar, that I had every intention of putting on my VFR, until I put the Grip Puppies on. Then I fell (back) in love with the thickness and softness. I ended up selling the Driven's on a local forum.

• Member Contributer

I know we all have favorites.

I bought a used 6th gen last fall. It came with very large diameter foam grips. They're okay.

I'll be swapping to Heli Bars as a first upgrade and I'm curious if there are any particular brands or styles to consider. I'm not a race rocket. And most of my rides are - and will be - limited to day rides of a couple hundred miles at a shot. I did a forum search and didn't find any threads on this.

I appreciate any opinions out there. Thanks in advance, Willy

Pro Grip 699s aka - Waffle grips - I have use these for years. Very comfortable

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/68/4489/ITEM/Pro-Grip-699-Open-End-Sportbike-Gel-Grip.aspx

Archived