How to Embed a Google Map

• Forum CEO

gallery_491_67_28845.png

To make a google map route resize the map to see your beginning point and right click on the map point you want to begin with then choose -directions from here- in the menu that pops up

gallery_491_67_194449.png

drag the map to your destination then again resize to find it better and right click again choose -directions to here-

gallery_491_67_134195.png

resize the map to see the entire route then right click on the point of the map where you want it to be centered and right click -center map here-

gallery_491_67_246752.png

click -link- at the top righthand side of the map find the code in the box labled -Paste link in email or IM-

gallery_491_67_58352.png

highlight the code in the box then right click with you mouse and copy the entire code

Method One for adding code to post

gallery_491_67_30479.png

click other styles then chose embed google map

gallery_491_67_74905.png

choose google map embed

gallery_491_67_2312.png

paste the map code into the box some browsers will error out if that is the case then try method two

Method Two

gallery_491_67_8776.png

in the post screen box left click and choose paste

gallery_491_67_49164.png

paste the map code into the post screen text box then put map tags at the front of the code and at the end of the code

Map tags will have an opening tag and a closing tag

this is the raw map code pasted into the post

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Colorado+Springs,+CO+80906&daddr=17+West+Palmer+Street,+Franklin,+NC+28734-3046+(Franklin+Motel)&hl=en&geocode=FSn9TwIdiS3B-Skjsyf5gFwThzG4dfnOaMZjJw%3BFR3PGAIdaqUH-yHJpii3nA0k3w&mra=ls&sll=39.300299,-95.712891&sspn=29.993673,86.220703&ie=UTF8&ll=36.385913,-93.515625&spn=15.646283,43.110352&z=5

this the same code with the map tags added

[map]http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Colorado+Springs,+CO+80906&daddr=17+West+Palmer+Street,+Franklin,+NC+28734-3046+(Franklin+Motel)&hl=en&geocode=FSn9TwIdiS3B-Skjsyf5gFwThzG4dfnOaMZjJw%3BFR3PGAIdaqUH-yHJpii3nA0k3w&mra=ls&sll=39.300299,-95.712891&sspn=29.993673,86.220703&ie=UTF8&ll=36.385913,-93.515625&spn=15.646283,43.110352&z=5[/map]

[map] - opening tag[/map] - closing tag

this is the result

Full Size

• Forum CEO

google maps take up alot of cpu cycles so dont post more then 2 per page - they will slow down a page rather quickly, if you have several maps it best just to put links instead of embedding them all.

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Help! When I try this, all I get is a picture of a screenshot of the top of the VFRD page.

What am I possibly doing wrong that I can't follow the easiest directions ever?

• 2 years later...

Hey Miguel,

As I mentioned to you a long time ago, I'm computer challenged at times. I see you've posted easy to follow instructions, but I still failed. I discovered there is a NEW Google Maps format. I clicked on directions and they only supply two entries, I don't see how to "add a destination." I am organizing the 2014 PNW "Oregon Trail" event and would like to post each day's ride with a map and discussion of the length, features and destinations, etc. I'm going to change it up this year. I just came back from an Oregon ride, 1,300 miles and much of it was to scout out the 2014 trip. It looks to be a doozy. I found the best road ever, 140 miles of VFR Nirvana, from Heppner, Ore, to Ukiah, to Sumpter and then into Baker City.

Here's how it's looking. First night in Hood River, Second night in Baker City third and fourth nights in Bend. The roads and towns will more than meet expectations, weather providing. Looking at mid to late July, as the days are long and the weather has been historically good.

Anyway, I need to figure out how to post maps, have a look at the new Google Maps format and see if it still applies to your instructions and I'll try again.

BTW I find Bing maps works better than Google at times, not sure why, but what's the process for imbedding Bing maps?

Lee

• Member Contributer

The way I do it for google maps is the same but less steps. Just make your map as HS describes, copy the link, then paste it to your post and add the map tags.

Keep in mind sometimes Google maps misbehave and the link you end up pasting doesn't work. When that happens I try resizing the map and copying the new link into the map tags.

[map]
[/map]

Actual example:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=212604679972371715183.0004d99cdeb98ec63ffcc&msa=0

Now type the map tags on each end as shown above:

Full Size

• Forum CEO

OHH the Jemez loop! Good one!

Choco - everything good?

The way I do it for google maps is the same but less steps. Just make your map as HS describes, copy the link, then paste it to your post and add the map tags.

Keep in mind sometimes Google maps misbehave and the link you end up pasting doesn't work. When that happens I try resizing the map and copying the new link into the map tags.

[map]
[/map]

• 2 years later...
  • Member Contributer

Has anyone got an update on embedding a map in a post? Since 2013, Google Maps has changed. and it looks as though the process on the forum has changed slightly, too. I pulled up a Google map, clicked on "Share or Embed", selected "Embed" and copied the url code to my clipboard. Then on this post, I selected the 3rd icon from the upper left, the green colored one that when you click it brings up a dialog box that says "Special BBC Code". In the dropdown I selected "Google Map Embed" and when the next box popped up I copied the code in to the box that says "Insert Custom Google Map code here" and clicked "OK". Once that's complete, I see the map showing perfectly prior to posting. Once posted though, it appears to take a screen shot in place of the Google map as you see below. What . . . am I doing wrong? :wacko:

[map][/map]