VFR800 track project

kostritzer

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Updates:

Went back to Suzuki forks - the offset needed to make the CBR forks work with the Aprilia discs was too much. The Suzuki triples are narrower and bring the (radial) calipers almost perfectly in-line with the Aprilia wheel and discs. Plus the black DLC-coated inners look mega!

attachicon.gif29092012475.jpg

Rear disc (Aprilia) is on the wheel, and is almost right. The disc and bolts foul the standard 954 caliper mount, but not by much. I'll have 2mm skimmed off the outside of the mount and probabl make a 2mm wider rear wheel spacer, effectively moving the disc into the centre of the caliper mount bracket. It'll be close, but will work. Need to make another 2mm spacer for the other side to get the chain carrier to clear the swingarm, but no major drama.

attachicon.gif29092012468.jpg

They're baby-steps, but I'm happy, I'll have a full solution for wheels and brakes very soon. Then if I have the swingarm bracket sorted it'll be time to move onto some more interesting things like exhaust!

Bumping and old thread to see if btec116 was able to get that 954 swingarm to work with the 6th gen lower cushion... all vital info for my track bike project.

Bike looked like it could be AWESOME in the last photos!

:lurk:

• 1 year later...

I've been searching for a track bike for a few months. CBR600, SV650, Ninja 650R, even a 2008+ Ninja 250R. Meanwhile, I have a perfectly good 5th gen VFR800 sitting in my garage gathering dust. It's stock with the exception of a Jardine slip-on and a Power Commander. I can only imagine how good it would sound (to me) charging down the main straight at Willow Springs. Thanks to this thread I am inspired to get this fat-boy 800 on a diet with some suspension mods and "run what I got." I'll be following the advise, ideas and goings-on here. Thanks.

Something like this, maybe:

VFR-track3-1.jpg

What tail is on that fifth gen?

• Member Contributer

^^ That, would make one helluva track bike . . . it's Toro1's supercharged 5th gen. It looks to have been Photoshopped, as the color is wrong, the black patch was added along the bottom of the tank - and someone edited out part of the tail section. Here's the original photo . . .

More photos here

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/gallery/album/5097-front-end-swap/?st=40

gallery_11118_5097_572577.jpg

^^ That, would make one helluva track bike . . . it's Toro1's supercharged 5th gen. It looks to have been Photoshopped, as the color is wrong, the black patch was added along the bottom of the tank - and someone edited out part of the tail section. Here's the original photo . . .

More photos here

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/gallery/album/5097-front-end-swap/?st=40

gallery_11118_5097_572577.jpg

That's clean AF! LOVE the black frame.

• 9 months later...

Hi there, just thought I'd revive this thread as it didn't seem to come to a conclusion.

I've managed to graft a CBR1000RR swinging arm (very much the same as the 929/954 setup) onto an RC46 as pictured.

I've not had a chance to run it for any distance but it does run and ride. I will be getting it road ready in the coming months.

IMAG3770.jpg

IMAG3762.jpg

2016_15_07_IMAG3626.jpg

On 2016-04-16 at 6:21 AM, Lint said:
On 2011-06-05 at 2:49 AM, vguy said:

I've been searching for a track bike for a few months. CBR600, SV650, Ninja 650R, even a 2008+ Ninja 250R. Meanwhile, I have a perfectly good 5th gen VFR800 sitting in my garage gathering dust. It's stock with the exception of a Jardine slip-on and a Power Commander. I can only imagine how good it would sound (to me) charging down the main straight at Willow Springs. Thanks to this thread I am inspired to get this fat-boy 800 on a diet with some suspension mods and "run what I got." I'll be following the advise, ideas and goings-on here. Thanks.

Something like this, maybe:

VFR-track3-1.jpg

What tail is on that fifth gen?

A photoshoped original tail.

bike_normal.jpg

• Member Contributer

Rather you than me to ride that. If yoy intend to keep that setup for the dogbone links, then please use steel or SS for those adaptor brackets, that alloy will not survive long. Alternately either biy or make some proper length dogbones.

• Member Contributer

I have a V4 track project in the works.  Its called Project "Buy an Aprilia RSV4"  :goofy:

The last VFR project for my 5.5 was difficult enough, I don't even want to think about trying to increase the power and lower the weight of a VFR, regardless of generation.

But pass the popcorn I always love watching these!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 14/03/2017 at 4:45 PM, RC46SC57 said:

I'm unimpressed, you seem to throw cash at your bikes with no accounting for taste and like bling more than anything else so here you are.

IMAG0172.jpg

IMAG0177.jpg

Just came across this forum as I'm thinking of building either a 4th or 5th gen trackbike. I know there is a lot of faster bikes out there today but I love these v4 gear driven cam engines. Currently still got my 4th gen bike and had a 5th gen both in standard form. Now looking to do a v4 race bike.

can you please give me a breakdown of what omcponents you have changed here altogether?

rear subframe, seat and faring?

and also idea of what your new bike weight is?

thanks

Archived