94 needs some love

Guest those1

So I have a 4th gen 94 vfr 750 and it needs some tlc

The stats

26,000 miles

airtech front

projector headlights

O ring chain and new sprockets.

It was dropped in a drive way years before I bought it so most of the plastic was cracked some how. I have been reading alot of threads on here on things I can do. I really like the looks of the 6th gen vtec rear like fotomoto did. being a college student doesn't leave me tons of money to do this so this winter I would like to work on the rear end. The first thing I want to do is replace the rear shock and maybe lower the bike a little. I'm 5' 8" pushing 145lbs so the bike doesn't move when I sit on it and I have to wear boots with a thick sole to touch ground with more then my toes. What do you guys suggest here. Other things that I would like to do is work in the under seat exhaust. I have seen some people remove the pair system does this do anything for a 94. Any tips or suggestions you guys have please speak up. Oh I also have purchased an 03 gsxr 1000 r/r unit to replace the Honda one. Hoping this stops the electrical from dimming on me.

Edited by those1

• Member Contributer

Whatever you do, remember you can have it done good, fast, or cheap, but only two of the three at the same time.

Most undertail exhaust conversions I've seen done were around $1000. There have been one or two around here where the owner claimed it cost them less, but they also tended to fall in the 'not good' category.

There are a couple of decent options to change out your old shock for a newer OEM Honda shock from another bike ~ try searching the site a bit in the 4th gen and modifications forums.

A set of dogbones from a VFR800 will also fit in place of your current linkage, and drop the ride height a bit. Again, search the forums to confirm this as it has been a long time since I remember reading this.

I suppose I could look this all up for you, and someone else still might, but part of the adventure is following the trail and doing some of the research for yourself.

:beer:

You did the right thing using the gixxer R/R, that's what I use and dont have any problems. Just check the wires all the way to the starter relay by the battery, and also the wires from the stator, especially the connecion under the right mid-fairing

So I have a 4th gen 94 vfr 750 and it needs some tlc

The stats

26,000 miles

airtech front

projector headlights

O ring chain and new sprockets.

It was dropped in a drive way years before I bought it so most of the plastic was cracked some how. I have been reading alot of threads on here on things I can do. I really like the looks of the 6th gen vtec rear like fotomoto did. being a college student doesn't leave me tons of money to do this so this winter I would like to work on the rear end. The first thing I want to do is replace the rear shock and maybe lower the bike a little. I'm 5' 8" pushing 145lbs so the bike doesn't move when I sit on it and I have to wear boots with a thick sole to touch ground with more then my toes. What do you guys suggest here. Other things that I would like to do is work in the under seat exhaust. I have seen some people remove the pair system does this do anything for a 94. Any tips or suggestions you guys have please speak up. Oh I also have purchased an 03 gsxr 1000 r/r unit to replace the Honda one. Hoping this stops the electrical from dimming on me.

I suppose I could look this all up for you, and someone else still might, but part of the adventure is following the trail and doing some of the research for yourself.

:beer:

The research is what has gotten me started on this project. :) Alot of what I see people switching to is the 929 or a wilber rear shock but they are trying to stiffen the end up. With me almost touching 150 lbs wet stiffer is not what I need. I sit on the bike and it doesn't move even on the softest setting even when I hit a bump in the road there isn't much travel. I do like to find the occasional passenger so I don't want to go much softer just something that fits my body a little better so that its a smoother ride. Also I'm 23 so a growth spurt isn't looking so likely.

• Member Contributer

'94-'97 VFR750 rear shock spring rate is 16.0 kg/mm.

'00-'01 CBR929RR rear shock spring rate is 15.3 kg/mm.

'02-'03 CBR954RR rear shock spring rate is 14.6 kg/mm.

So the CBR shock is actually a little softer than the VFR's, most likely because the bike itself is lighter than the VFR to begin with.

Unless they are over 200 lbs, most people don't want a rear shock with a higher spring rate. RaceTech says 180 lbs is the appropriate rider weight for a 16.0 kg/mm rear spring on this bike. In contrast, people do often go with a higher rate front spring.

Thanks for the info. This winters project is all about the rear. I was wondering to cut down on the cost is it possible to modify the original header to allow duel cans and put a bend to reroute it under the seat? Or is this something that I should start over from scratch with?

Thanks for the info. This winters project is all about the rear. I was wondering to cut down on the cost is it possible to modify the original header to allow duel cans and put a bend to reroute it under the seat? Or is this something that I should start over from scratch with?

Welcome

I think that's what several have done with the under seat exhaust, just take the outlet where the stock muffler hooks up and make something that will slip onto that. 929 shock is recommended over the 954 since it is closer in spring rate and the reservoir will not get in the way. There's a member here who will refresh the shock for you too and put the right spring rate etc, I think he's pretty reasonable and does a good job. Then you just need to get a spacer to go above the shock since it is a bit shorter

So I have been looking at different tails that I like and the one that keeps catching my eye is the F4I sport tail ( the one with the split seat. I was wondering tho do any of you know if the sub-frame is different between the normal and the sport seat or is it just the seat and plastics are different.

So I have been looking at different tails that I like and the one that keeps catching my eye is the F4I sport tail ( the one with the split seat. I was wondering tho do any of you know if the sub-frame is different between the normal and the sport seat or is it just the seat and plastics are different.

The F4i with the large single seat(2004-2006) uses a subframe which is different from the 2 piece seat design(2001-2003). As a matter of fact, the single seat is actually the 1999-2000 CBR600F4 seat which was reincarnated on the 04-06 F4i. If you want to use the single seat setup, you will need either the 99-00 F4 *or* the 04-06 F4i subframe.

After some more research I'm pretty sure that they are 2 different frames.

so the inspiration for the tail!

---

the wishful plastics

---

So, which tail do you want again? The top pic is a CBR600RR...

I want the split seat. I found that picture on 3 different sites all listing it as an F4i sport did find it strange that the year was an 04 since that was when the F4I went back to single seat. tho it might be easier and cheaper to put an early 2000 cbr 600rr tail on it

Edited by those1

I want the split seat. I found that picture on 3 different sites all listing it as an F4i sport did find it strange that the year was an 04 since that was when the F4I went back to single seat. tho it might be easier and cheaper to put an early 2000 cbr 600rr tail on it

F4i was sold as the "Sport" in Europe.

600RR didn't come out till 03.

If you want split seat F4i, 01-03 is your only option and they're not always easy to find. Stunters and single-seat F4i owners buy them up a lot.

600RR is a little easier to come by, and if you want that tail style you may as well shop for 1000RR parts too since they are very similar in style.

Thanks for your help by any chance would you know of a year that comes close on either the upper or lower mounting points. I have the resources to cut weld and machine as need be but if i can go with factory mounting mine as well. Again thanks for any help you have or can give.

Thanks for your help by any chance would you know of a year that comes close on either the upper or lower mounting points. I have the resources to cut weld and machine as need be but if i can go with factory mounting mine as well. Again thanks for any help you have or can give.

You going to have to modify any of those to fit - mounting points on the 4th gen are farther apart than the CBR mounts. The older frames are probably bigger and therefore closer, but it will be custom fit no matter what.

Be patient and work on mechanicals, specifically your suspension once that is sorted to your liking then work on the cosmetics. Tail and body conversions take time and money because there are hundreds of little things that will come up and slow your progress. I would also wager that it is not less expensive then getting your suspension sorted.

• Member Contributer
There's a member here who will refresh the shock for you too and put the right spring rate etc, I think he's pretty reasonable and does a good job. Then you just need to get a spacer to go above the shock since it is a bit shorter

Jamie likes to modify the shock to lengthen it so there is no spacer necessary.

• Member Contributer
Be patient and work on mechanicals, specifically your suspension once that is sorted to your liking then work on the cosmetics. Tail and body conversions take time and money because there are hundreds of little things that will come up and slow your progress. I would also wager that it is not less expensive then getting your suspension sorted.

It will cost five times as much to do the undertail exhaust as opposed to the suspension, particularly since you want to change the entire rear subframe to accomodate an entirely different tail section. I haven't seen very many mods like this that were finished nicely, either. Go ahead only if you want to make your bike worth less than it is now but at great expense.

Not being negative, just trying to save yourself some trouble that you may not be seeing, having never done something like this before. I would search the site and ask guys like FotoMoto what is required to make a proper CBRVFR before you get too gung ho about merging parts from different bikes.

It will cost five times as much to do the undertail exhaust as opposed to the suspension, particularly since you want to change the entire rear subframe to accomodate an entirely different tail section. I haven't seen very many mods like this that were finished nicely, either. Go ahead only if you want to make your bike worth less than it is now but at great expense.

Not being negative, just trying to save yourself some trouble that you may not be seeing, having never done something like this before. I would search the site and ask guys like FotoMoto what is required to make a proper CBRVFR before you get too gung ho about merging parts from different bikes.

Having done the fork swap/body conversion to one of my 3rd gens... You are correct.

So what I would like to get done this winter

buy and replace rear shock (929)

buy and fabricate 2007-2009 cbr subframe

move exhaust under seat (may just use my sole two brother exhaust)

get corbin or sargent or make gel pad for oem seat

plastics

sit back :beer: observe and hope it warms up enough to ride

So talked with Jamie and have to wait to head back to my college house to take measurements and move forward with the rear shock. Thanks to eBay I have a sub-frame and battery tray on the way. So when that gets here can take the new frame and the old one to the old boss and get mounting stuff set up and made. I'm still wondering about the pair system I have read about the them and with the 4th gen is there any benefit to them. Whats the down side of removing them from my bike. I live in Wisconsin so don't have to take the bike in for emissions testing. so to drop weight and open more room are the benefits i can see.

• Member Contributer

In regards to the Pair System, it is my understanding that it introduces air into the exhaust to help burn unburnt hydrocarbons in the exhaust? kind of like an automotive EGR ? I have had no noticeable issues with mine since I got rid of it. All you need are block off plates( easily found on ebay same as Busa)

Good luck with your project!

Gary

Go ahead and remove the pair crap. No harm will come to your bike.

Go to ebay and type in "hayabusa pair billet". There are a couple sellers making pair block off plates that fit the VFR perfectly. They look like this:

6-4-10005.jpg

6-4-10006.jpg

• Member Contributer

Hi, welcome aboard and I think you have one of the best generation VFR's ever made. I actually like the way it looks now but of course as you get more comfortable with the bikes needs and your capabilities you can improve the appearance and performance.

Do you have anyone close by who can help you set the sag on your suspension? I think you first need to set the stock suspension preperly and make sure that the steering bearings are in good condition and greased and that the tires are properly inflated before you start spending money on other rear shocks that may or may not play well with your front suspension settings.

At 5'8' and a buck 45 you are almost a protypical japanese test rider and the stock suspension, if not worn too badly, should be able to be adjusted to provide you with a decent ride as you continue to improve.

My fat arse needed stiffer front and rear springs and I took the opportunity to revalve the front and upgrade the rear at the same time. I suspect that with fresh oil up front and proper sag that you will enjoy the bike.

I have a few buddies around here that should be able to help me out with sag. If no there are a number of sport bike shops that wouldn't mind helping for a couple of bucks. The bike was in the shop in April getting new chain and sprockets as well as new tires installed. I asked them to look over the bike and let me know if anything seemed worn or was looking in need of replacing. they told me everything looked good and that the bearings still had many miles left on them. Another change I made to the bike this summer was moving to a poly-synthetic oil. We have all sorts of temperature mood swings in Wisconsin (-29 F 1/21/11) and after talking to a few other sport bike owners I made the switch. Also with being young and dumb i tend to drive a bit faster then normal traffic and still enjoy getting threw the gears quickly so this also came into consideration. I have maxed the bike out at 172 mph and i can say she is snappy up to 155 then a bit slow after that.

Again thanks for the help and will be looking into some of the plates.