That famous burnt-up white RR-Stator connector...

Trace

• Forum CEO

Yea OK you know this all comes years after I posted about it right? Um Trace about removing that shitty connector all together!

gallery_491_1215_817347.jpg

8 lead block, riveted to sub frame. Stator to RR connections

gallery_491_1215_12855.jpg

different connectors

gallery_491_1215_49470.jpg

Compare RR Bigger fins and an extra black voltage monitor wire on the new one, different connectors so I just cut them off and soldiered them in.

gallery_491_1215_46047.jpg

NO connectors Cut off connectors soldiered them and heat wraped the wires

gallery_491_1215_16931.jpg

Burned out Connector

gallery_491_1215_25378.jpg

Burned Out Connector this is the connector on the old RR amazingly with one phase wire missing completely it was still charging the battery with the other two holding on by a thread

gallery_491_1215_48899.jpg

Compared RR Bigger heat fins and an extra black wire for the new RR

Posted these pcitures and solutions 4 years ago! OK now that I got my claim in - loose blades, they are all wrapped in that stupid horn looking insulating bell then they are supposed to be strapped in tight so it doesnt move around and work loose (possible cause for loose blade connectors) levering away the blades from the crimped end. A cheap ass needle nose plier on the crimp solves that! But I like to know for sure its a good connection.

And when I proclaim that I've "found the root cause" like I'm some big research scientist or something, I'm making the assumption that in the 5 years I've been here where I've heard a dozen reasons for RR/Stator problems....I personally have never heard anyone zero-in on this loose connector issue.

umm wasn't this discussed before ?? a few years ago?

As for the credit...

I've always thought that connectors were crap, so perhaps the credit should go to me. :owned:

Yes, that's why I made my Connector Proclaimation. The connector is the connector's fault, period.

Yea OK you know this all comes years after I posted about it right? Um Trace about removing that shitty connector all together!

Posted these pcitures and solutions 4 years ago! OK now that I got my claim in - .

Damn! HS wins again! :fing02:

But it never hurts to :beatdeadhorse: about VFR electrical problems! In a week or two somebody will be posting up about their melted RR connector again....and again....and again.....

So, someone needs to update its wiki entry;

"Second- and third-generation VFR750Fs have notoriously suffered from failed regulators/rectifiers, likely caused by heat damage. Although Honda eventually re-designed the replacement part, such that failures of the new, finned regulator/rectifier are rare, some VFR750F owners carry spare regulator/rectifiers or even install small cooling fans to prevent reg/rec units from overheating."

My 91 has been brought baclk to life 3 times in 30k miles.

Here is my list.

1. The battery gets cooked by the heat from the two rear headers.

2. Battery looses a cell.

3. RR output to battery kills starter relay circut due to poor terminal contact causing resistance.

4. Stator output tries to keep up with the load from the RR.

5. Poor contacts from stator to the RR cause resistance and burn.

Now this one is a little bit out there but I am not taking any more chances.

6. Some old dude who sounded like he new what he was talking about said that synthetic oil causes problems with the stator. Somthing about the conductivity of the oil at certain levels of something. I swear by Scooter and I will use nothing but mobil1 but not in the VFR any more.

7. The electrical design team that engendered these harnesses and connectors needs to be beat down with a big rusty pipe.

8. The conectors suck, the wires are too small, and the conections have 0 corrosion protection. Not even dielectric grease.

• Member Contributer

My 91 has been brought baclk to life 3 times in 30k miles.

Here is my list.

Now this one is a little bit out there but I am not taking any more chances.

6. Some old dude who sounded like he new what he was talking about said that synthetic oil causes problems with the stator. Somthing about the conductivity of the oil at certain levels of something. I swear by Scooter and I will use nothing but mobil1 but not in the VFR any more.

I know you were told this one, I respect that, but I'm still calling BS. I think the viffer brain trust would agree. I think the majority here runs synth oil.

Bloody components must be descended from the Lucas bits of Britbikes infamous past. :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

Bloody components must be descended from the Lucas bits of Britbikes infamous past. :laughing6-hehe:

The classic joke ----- Joe Lucas says dont drive at night.. :biggrin:

Archived