2010-11 Winter Mods/Maintenance Thread

SEBSPEED

• Member Contributer

Did the front brake pads.

Started the rear (they were more worn than the fronts... guess I still use my rear a bit much).

I couldn't get the pistons pushed back in so I removed the caliper.

Then I cleaned it.

So, while I was in a cleaning mood, and since I am going to change out the rear sprocket, I took off the chain guard.

Then I cleaned it.

While that was soaking in WD40 I cleaned the swingarm.

I then took off the side stand

Then I cleaned it.

Then temps got down to -5ºF, so I went to the basement to work on some wood turning.

Ok, Seb, it's over now, I'll get some smelling salts so you can come to after having passed out.

Yeah, I CLEANED stuff. Imagine that.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member Contributer

Then I cleaned it.

bsmeter.gif

Pics or it never happened!!! :biggrin:

hahaaha! Will get pics this weekend...

• Member Contributer

Some super secret parts arrived!

lenses.JPG

tank.JPG

:cool:

Umm... coiuld it possibly be clear lenses & a replacement tank? :huh:

:goofy:

Many options there, however. Could be smoked, or clear with incandescent, or clear with led. No telling what the tank looks like, either! :fing02:

• Member Contributer

ok, opionions from the gallery are welcome right now...

Kawasaki ZX10R forks with radial brakes or RC51 SP1 forks with axial brakes (probably Suzuki TL1000 six piston axials)?

What say ye?

• Member Contributer

ok, opionions from the gallery are welcome right now...

Kawasaki ZX10R forks with radial brakes or RC51 SP1 forks with axial brakes (probably Suzuki TL1000 six piston axials)?

What say ye?

RC51 brakes are mighty nice as is! F4i calipers are nearly identical, but black as opposed to gold-ish RC51.

• Member Contributer

Ok, well I guess I am diving in to the deep end here.

I just "won" these on fleaBay....it has begun.

gallery_7288_2662_13186.jpg

ZX14.jpg

gallery_7288_2662_55667.jpg

ZX14 top view.jpg

gallery_7288_2662_32808.jpg

ZX14 Brakes.jpg

Soon I will have measuremements and data on another fork for the chart. Hopefully a wheel situation I am working on will come to fruition this weekend...stay tuned.

Seb, where did you find that sweet top triple?

• Member Contributer

Yea...kinda guessed it was a Tyga, :biggrin: from being able to read and all but...I don't Sebastian as well as some of you but he doesn't strike me as a guy who threow down $250 for a top clamp...maybe there is a secret handshake at a secret Northeastern warehouse that gets you one of those for what they are asking for one of these... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-CBR-929-954RR-UPPER-TRIPLE-TREE-RED-TC12AR-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem35a2e72348QQitemZ230366323528QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

but it was interesting to see that Tyga no longer makes top triples for CBR 954's....

now a question for you, Kevin....how do you make your links small and change the name to Here or whatever? :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Yea...kinda guessed it was a Tyga, :biggrin: from being able to read and all but...I don't Sebastian as well as some of you but he doesn't strike me as a guy who threow down $250 for a top clamp...maybe there is a secret handshake at a secret Northeastern warehouse that gets you one of those for what they are asking for one of these... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-CBR-929-954RR-UPPER-TRIPLE-TREE-RED-TC12AR-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem35a2e72348QQitemZ230366323528QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

but it was interesting to see that Tyga no longer makes top triples for CBR 954's....

now a question for you, Kevin....how do you make your links small and change the name to Here or whatever? :fing02:

In the line above the text box, click the icon to the right of the smiley. When you roll your cursor over it, it says "Insert link." Link goes in the top box, and change the words "My Link" to whatever you want to name it.

Also the 954 top clamp is the same as RC51 dimensionally, but the 954 is gull winged instead of the RC51 flat one.

• Member Contributer

Aaaahhhh, so Seb is planning on running his bars below the top clamp...that Tyga top triple is indeed flat.

He is young and flexible, I must have the bars above so i prolly just buy whatever crappy 954 top clamp I find. :biggrin: thanks for the tip on making mine smaller.

Nope, I actually did drop $217.xx on the clamp! That's right, $250 for the forks and $220 for the top triple! :blink:

It is really nice though! :biggrin:

cnc-top-triple-clamp-sp2-rc51-vtr1000-silver.jpg

If you want to save $50, you can buy the clamp minus the ignition mount, then relocate your ignition ...

• Member Contributer

Nope, I actually did drop $217.xx on the clamp! That's right, $250 for the forks and $220 for the top triple! :blink:

It is really nice though! :biggrin:

If you want to save $50, you can buy the clamp minus the ignition mount, then relocate your ignition ...

Didn't those folks sell ya another bit that is a little below the triple clamp?

Aaaahhhh, so Seb is planning on running his bars below the top clamp...that Tyga top triple is indeed flat.

He is young and flexible, I must have the bars above so i prolly just buy whatever crappy 954 top clamp I find. :biggrin: thanks for the tip on making mine smaller.

Yes, I plan to mount the bars under the top triple. *But* I am planning a DIY Convertibar setup, so the bars can be stock, higher, lower, back, forward, whatever... :smile:

• Member Contributer

Yes, I plan to mount the bars under the top triple. *But* I am planning a DIY Convertibar setup, so the bars can be stock, higher, lower, back, forward, whatever... :smile:

Think you could make another set o' those? I'm not sure about the clearance I'm going to have when I get things assembled...

Not sure what you mean?

I bought the 2 pc version that includes the ignition mount. The same triple is available in a "race version" without the ignition mount for $167.

Think you could make another set o' those? I'm not sure about the clearance I'm going to have when I get things assembled...

Maybe. Haven't started on the first set yet, will be soon though. I'm not planning to allow for bar angle adjustment - I'm going to set the angle as close to stock as I can, then have rotational and height adjustment left.

• Member Contributer

Dang...that is chunk of change for the top triple...I can't wait to see it in Franklin in 108 days or so... :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Not sure what you mean?

I bought the 2 pc version that includes the ignition mount. The same triple is available in a "race version" without the ignition mount for $167.

Maybe. Haven't started on the first set yet, will be soon though.

CF Front Fender?

Let me know on the bars. I still have to get the steering stem steering stops cut off and try to fit it all together. I have some SP1 stock clip ons, but nothing else.

• Member Contributer

Dang...that is chunk of change for the top triple...I can't wait to see it in Franklin in 108 days or so... :fing02:

Ahhh! No count downs! I'm nowhere near a rideable VFR yet... :ohmy:

• Member Contributer

CF Front Fender?

Nope, I bought a very nice stock R1 fender (that I will paint red to match) for $15.

I'll let you know on the bars.

Ah, I remembered seeing your post on a Tyga thread on Speedzilla, but forgot it was the triple!

Since it's "winter " here in Cali...60 degrees....Brr! I'm changing out the chain and sprockets...RK Chain. A new front tire either a M3 or M5 Front Metzler, oil change and Coolant change. Then go and work on the the truck, with a new fuel pump. And ride the snot out of what's left of my front tire!

• Member Contributer

Then I cleaned it.

bsmeter.gif

Pics or it never happened!!! :biggrin:

post-1632-0-77020400-1296318920_thumb.jp

Hub after basic WD40 rubdown.

post-1632-0-95523300-1296318930_thumb.jp

One half of the sidestand cleaned up

post-1632-0-51127500-1296318893_thumb.jp

Other half of the side stand.

post-1632-0-70968100-1296318907_thumb.jp

How'd that get there? Keeps me warm when the 65k btu kerosene heater isn't on...