2010-11 Winter Mods/Maintenance Thread

SEBSPEED

Nice job on the spacers Seb and excellent score on the Convertibars...

Thanks Keith. Here's a better pic of the spacer disc.

a31d9a5a.jpg

Almost done shopping for parts - I got totally screwed by an ebay UK seller on the lower triple, so need one of those again. Then some stainless line and fittings, paint the fender, powdercoat the wheels, another set of tapered bearings, etc...

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member Contributer

Yosh, with only the keys in the background for a reference on size and my feeble mental faculties...

WHAT THE THUNDER IS THAT? is it a stack of steering stem bearing shims? what are the holes for? does it require a face pin spanner to install? :biggrin: Looks top notch whatever the application.

Yosh, with only the keys in the background for a reference on size and my feeble mental faculties...

WHAT THE THUNDER IS THAT? is it a stack of steering stem bearing shims? what are the holes for? does it require a face pin spanner to install? :biggrin: Looks top notch whatever the application.

It's the top half to this...

2fb52e2b.jpg

Which covers this:

6fdf011b.jpg

And that's all I have to say about that right now. :wink:

• Member Contributer

Would it not be more useful on our beloved VFR's if it allowed you view the stator wires as they turned brown? :goofy:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

New (used) Fox shock from vfr781, revalved and resprung by Jamie D

Sending my forks to Jamie to be resprung, reshimmed and revalved.

Replacing spark plugs, air cleaner and steering head bearings

She's all torn down now, will get built back up over the next 3-4 weeks.

2011-02-12%2017.05.09.jpg

• Member Contributer

New (used) Fox shock from vfr781, revalved and resprung by Jamie D

Sending my forks to Jamie to be resprung, reshimmed and revalved.

Replacing spark plugs, air cleaner and steering head bearings

She's all torn down now, will get built back up over the next 3-4 weeks.

2011-02-12%2017.05.09.jpg

What's that thing on the right side of the pic? Has wheels and says Honda on it, but I don't recognize it! :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

My work stand is a repurposed clothing rack from a department store. So it has to do double duty! :biggrin:

Beats hanging it from the garage door track... (cough, cough, cornercarver!)

gallery_913_5664_1291232.jpg

Work Stand.jpg

Here's my original stator:

gallery_913_5664_223662.jpg

Original Stator.jpg

Some years ago I got a used stator from Fetter (wera910), and it didn't look quite as toasty as the original so I put it in. (He also gave me the cover and rotor from his)

Now it is quite a bit browner than the original it replaced

gallery_913_5664_280312.jpg

Replaced Stator.jpg

Just got a new Rick's Stator from Tightwad. Back in my original cover for installation:gallery_913_5664_1374534.jpg

Ricks Stator.jpg

I'm fabricationally challenged, so in order to mount my FH012 R/R with the mount holes 90` off I used the plate that came with the previous replacement to make a bracket.

gallery_913_5664_569898.jpg

New RR.jpg

I spaced it off the plate to allow room for the bolts that mount it to the frame, and spaced if off the frame for the R/R bolts:

gallery_913_5664_1089571.jpg

New RR from above.jpg

Here's where you tell me that the R/R must be mounted flat to the rear frame to transfer heat away and keep it cool. Keep in mind the R/R came from an R1, and apparently Yamaha mounts the R/R to a plastic plate. Plus it is raised off this piece.

Here's how it arrived to me

gallery_913_5664_11629.jpg

FH012.jpg

Not a great pic, but that background piece is the plastic plate

New wiring in place, mocked up:

gallery_913_5664_1073194.jpg

New RR wired.jpg

Aside from all that. I got the rear fender cleaned up and back in place, new valve shims arrived and installed, front head cover finally replaced, and new plugs in. The stator coming off should be the final part that needed to be removed. All work moving forward will be installation! :cheerleader:

Todays list:

New air filter is ready to re-instal the airbox, calipers are clean and ready for new seals and pads, new caliper bolts arrived for the freshly cleaned mounting brackets (Thanks to Kostrizter for the brackets!), need some cleaning up of the old steering stops on the SP-1 steering stem, then make some new stops and instal bearings. Hopefully get forks and front upper fairing on to mock up my hand controls to see what clearance issues I may have. Hopefully none using VFR 1200 stock clip ons (Thanks to MSGTR for those!)

• Member Contributer

You guys a putting me to shame...

Each time my dog needs to go out, I open the garage door, grab a wrench, and do something 'quick' while she does her thing.

Last night in the 4 trips outside I was able to get the rear sprocket off. While I have the kids I can only really do any work after 8pm, and on a work day, I'm wiped by then. I can't believe it is already 1/2 way through February, I gotta get a move on!

I can't believe it is already 1/2 way through February, I gotta get a move on!

+1!! I've got a lot more work to do yet!

Fabbing rearset adapter brackets for the CB900 today.

Still have to order springs for the R1 forks for the VTEC. Haven't even started that bike yet and time is running short!

Okay so I will add my list as well. I bought my Yellow 2000 in July and these are the mods to be done - some have been completed:

Pazzo look alike levers - Installed (Ebay)

EBC HH brakes front and back - Installed

Digital voltage gauge - installed (Datel - Digital Meter)

Purchased an 8 spoke rear (silver/grey)

Powder coating front to match - in process

new front wheel bearings and seals

Sargent seat - Birthday present from my lovely wife

new sprockets (45 tooth rear) and DID gold chain - Xmas present from my lovely wife (Sprocket Center)

Blue Sea 5025 accessory fuse block - Installed

Dual Star heated grips - Installed

Pro Grip 719 grips - Installed

ABS carbon look rear hugger (Red Fox)

Carbon fiber heat shield and lower chain guard (Carbonpartz)

Staintune high mount exhaust - Been waiting forever

Pair valve removal and flapper mod - Done

Blue LED dashboard back lighting - Installed

HID headlight kit - Installed

Fabbrio double bubble smoke screen - Installed

Radar's frame sliders

Lobster's mirror extenders - Installed

Fender Eliminator - Installed (Competition Werkes)

Pipercross air filter - Installed

New Michelin PP front and Road 2 rear

Weighted bar ends - Installed

Yellow carbon fiber triple tree cover - Installed (SKUR)

Pro grip carbon fiber look gas cap cover - Installed

Replacement stainless bolt kit for fairings - Installed

New Honda R/R (Precautionary) - carry the original as a backup - Installed

New battery - Installed

I'm sure I am forgetting something

Hoping to dedumbo and install GSXR mirrors - I need the mounts!!!!!!

Looking for a mount for a single rear bag - probably JC Whitney - Come on Ken - set me up!

Any other ideas? The suspension is next. I sense a 929 rear shock in my future.

Hello, my name is Rob and I am a mod addict. Please stop me before the wife files papers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually blame all of you for planting these ideas in my head. I love this place!

Rob Primavera (Primo)

Redhead, do you have anything supporting the brake calipers? If not, you really ought to. Not good to let them hang by the brake lines.

Yeah there's clothes hangers holding them up, hard to see.

:fing02:

• Member Contributer

Update time....

For the 00:

Dubious Chinese Pazzo Look A Like Levers

Brake pads all around

Steering head bearings

PAIR block off

Stock size rear sprocket

PC2 & 02 Elims

Clean out switch pods and regrease

clean electrical connectors and apply dielectric grease

I put the PC2 in and it would cut the engine off at 3k rpm. I don't have a laptop with a serial connector, so I have no way of checking the map, so I took it back out.

I have the new master link in hand, the sprocket is on, but I need to cut a couple of links out (What's the # of links for a stock sprocket setup?)

Been cleaning everything I touch, except the tupperware, that'll be last. Side stand was all gummed up, pulled it off the bike and completely disassembled it and cleaned it.

I cleaned every electrical connector I could get my hands on and put in dielectric grease. Cleaned and greased the grounds.

The air cleaner is currently drying (UNI foam), so I stuff some rags into the venturies to keep the mice out.

gallery_1632_5773_261745.jpg

pair_tubing.jpg

gallery_1632_5773_319283.jpg

reed_valve.jpg

gallery_1632_5773_451593.jpg

pair_blockoff_rear.jpg

gallery_1632_5773_307185.jpg

pair_blockoff.jpg

Finally drawing the parts shopping for my VTEC - R1 conversion to a close... the list so far looks like this:

Have:

- 2005 R1 Raven forks/axle $250

- used Racetech gold valves $75

- 05 R1 wheel $100

- 05 R1 rotors $80

- TYGA RC51 SP1 top triple $217

- 929 upper/lower triple set $122

- custom titanium 2mm rotor spacer discs $0

- custom +2mm 6061aluminum wheel spacers $5

- fender $16

- F4i rear master for de-link $20

- fork oil $25

- used CBR1000RR Convertibars $185

- CBR1000RR clutch master $13

- 04 R1 front brake system $... had it here for years, forgot what I paid for it...

- Race Tech 1.0 fork spring kit, on closeout @ solomotoparts.com $70

- Motorex 5w fork oil $18

- another set of tapered All Balls bearings(need the lower only) $30

Need:

- paint fender $not much

- fender hardware (6 bolts) $ ?

- powdercoat R1front & VFR rear wheels so they match $220

- bulk stainless line for F/R brakes & clutch(might as well do clutch while I'm there) $60

- fittings for said lines incl. double banjo for F4i master $60

Want:

- ?

New items that I forgot I needed, in red...

Hey seb any chance u would b makin any more of those spacers. Im tryin to get my parts together to put an r1 front end on my 07. But dont realy have acces to makin those spacers and only have the triple left to get.

Hey seb any chance u would b makin any more of those spacers. Im tryin to get my parts together to put an r1 front end on my 07. But dont realy have acces to makin those spacers and only have the triple left to get.

It would be pretty difficult, and I couldn't give you any kind of time frame on it, unfortunately. If there's enough interest for a group buy type deal, then I might be able to set something up with a machine shop. We would need a minimum order quantity on both the spacer discs and the wheel spacers.

Guest tmyoungjr

March 1st and I've accomplished none of what I wanted to!

Moving into a new house will do that! That and lots of snowboarding in my free weekend time. Oh well. Time to get cranking!

It would be pretty difficult, and I couldn't give you any kind of time frame on it, unfortunately. If there's enough interest for a group buy type deal, then I might be able to set something up with a machine shop. We would need a minimum order quantity on both the spacer discs and the wheel spacers.

Would u happen to have to drawings by chance? Cause i could always find a machine shop to make up a few sets. Especialy since i like to have a spare set of wheels and tires.