2010-11 Winter Mods/Maintenance Thread

SEBSPEED

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member Contributer

Seb, what size, how tall, are the old forks from the CB? I have a Kawi GPz 550 (85 model, couldn't find a miniceptor for the wife), and it has those attrocious AVDS-pneumatic-spring-loaded-damper-rod-forks. They are 35mm and I am wondering about replacing with some "normal" forks from the period. And are they straight? Are you interested in selling them?

PM me? Thanks!

Jimmy

Seb, what size, how tall, are the old forks from the CB? I have a Kawi GPz 550 (85 model, couldn't find a miniceptor for the wife), and it has those attrocious AVDS-pneumatic-spring-loaded-damper-rod-forks. They are 35mm and I am wondering about replacing with some "normal" forks from the period. And are they straight? Are you interested in selling them?

PM me? Thanks!

Jimmy

They are straight, and I'm very interested in selling them... but they are also air charged damper rod forks...

• Member Contributer

Air charged, huh? That was all the rage, back then, I suppose. There is nothing really *wrong* with the current forks. I am thinking in terms of ease (for me)...no time to take on another project (my dissertation on signaling cues and neuronal cell patterning seems to eat a disproportionate amount of my time lately). Was hoping for a simple bolt up, with maybe some new springs, re-routing the brakes. Just a 1 day job. Anything longer than a few hours risks permanent back burner status!

Cheers!

• Member Contributer

PS: no real winter here...it gets cold for a while, and then it warms up. Been in the 70s the last couple days!! Got a short spin in with the wifey on her new-to-her GPz550. What a nice day, for any time of the year, but January makes it an especially nice treat! Love Louisiana (even after Katrina in New Orleans - I evacuated in time).

• Member Contributer

Ordered a Rick's Stator and a fuse block from Tightwad on Thursday.

Ordered new bearings for the SP1 Stem on Friday.

Ordered a bunch of various bits from Ron Ayers today. (Including caliper seals and mounting bolts)

Today I put the shims and cams back in, but when I re-checked the clearances I found that I sanded two of my valve shims too thin. So I ordered new replacements. When those and the stator come in they should be final parts I need to remove from the bike! Everything moving forward is installation.

Still need to fit the front end together and test control fitment.

Still have no hydraulic lines on the bike! 0/4

• Member Contributer

Oh, and I need a muffler that will fit under my new (to me) GIVI Wingrack.

Sure wish I knew somebody close by with a Staintune low mount they would sell back to me... :huh:

• Member Contributer

Kevin,

It's yours. I have it on the shelf, will trade you for your highmount or you can buy it back. I know I will regret it when I am looking for panniers but you did me right before.

come see it or let me when you can meet.

• Member Contributer

Picked up another part for the project..

Yosh, does anyone even know what your project is yet? :biggrin:

Yeah, it's Soggy Thirds. All the parts that you couldn't use on sloppy seconds and need to get rid of, plus whatever I pick up to complete it.

Yeah, it's Soggy Thirds. All the parts that you couldn't use on sloppy seconds and need to get rid of, plus whatever I pick up to complete it.

And you're going to paint it green & white, right?

883325-yoshi_super.jpg

Then everyone on the track will be dying to know...

271847370v2_480x480_Front.jpg

:biggrin: :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Kevin,

It's yours. I have it on the shelf, will trade you for your highmount or you can buy it back. I know I will regret it when I am looking for panniers but you did me right before.

come see it or let me when you can meet.

Thanks Keith! :beer:

I'm paying for other parts at the moment... Could be a few weeks.

• Member Contributer

Nope, I bought a very nice stock R1 fender (that I will paint red to match) for $15.

I don't know how you always manage to find a better deal than me. I had to pay a whole $16 for mine. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

And you're going to paint it green & white, right?

:biggrin: :goofy:

You mean something like this

YOSHICEPTOR.jpg

Nope, I bought a very nice stock R1 fender (that I will paint red to match) for $15.

I don't know how you always manage to find a better deal than me. I had to pay a whole $16 for mine. :goofy:

I'm just lucky I guess? :biggrin:

ps - did yours come with all the requisite rubber grommets and metal inserts? Mine did. :smile:

Dang

Sorry Kev. I can send out my drawings for quotes if you like. I was only going to be able to make the bases like the Convertibars, the actual handlebar portion I could weld up but it would have to be fixed in angular position & not adjustable like the Cbar setup.

Or, you could buy the Cbar bars on ebay for $178, then maybe save a bit by having the clamp portion machined per my drawings?

Some more parts for the VTEC R1 conversion... I'll put all this in a build thread once I actually start the swap.

+2mm wheel spacers made from AL-6061-T6, sized to standard specs to allow the oem dust seal/cover to be refitted with 2mm added to the outer lip. (oem steel parts on right, on axle)

In the background, a pair of titanium rotor spacers discs, 2mm (.080") in thickness. Designed to retain the 2 locating features of the oem rotor. The shoulder bolt protrudes through the oem R1 rotor by 1/2 to 3/4mm, the holes in the disc are reamed to accept this and use it as a locating feature. The small bosses on the wheel center the disc on the wheel, and the rotor by default.

87eda315.jpg

• Member Contributer

New Stator and fuse block arrived Monday!

Bearings were waiting for me today when I got home.

Still waiting on Ron Ayers parts...

Going to have to get back working on this thing pretty soon.

Forgot to mention, the Racetech gold valves from my VTEC forks also fit the R1 forks... so, I'm gonna mess with the shim stacks a bit and will have the forks ready this weekend when the oil shows up. Trying out some Silkolene this time around.