2010-11 Winter Mods/Maintenance Thread

SEBSPEED

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member Contributer

Well, only if you want to I guess... :biggrin:

Being that I'm "lucky enough" to live in a place that prevents me riding my bikes for at least 4 months out of the year ( :dry: ), I always start winter off with a To-Do list of mods and maintenance to be completed by the beginning of riding season. I'll show you my list if you show me yours! :goofy:

So far my plans include:

1. Work on the 83 VF restoration a little more.

2. Complete the rebuild of the 81 CB900F SS I bought recently. I actually entered a winter buildoff on another site with the bike, I'm doing a front and rear suspension swap, converting to monoshock, CBR wheels, digital gauges, repainting it, and making a good strong runner out of it. I have until May to finish it.

3. Finish my secret 4th gen project.

4. Mods & Maintenance (m&m's ??) on my baby the 05 VFR, including but not limited to...

a. replace left rad and oil cooler hose( been a bit jammed up for years, have new parts)

b. install catless header that I've had for 2 years now / remap PC3

c. send Sargent out for rebuild(getting mushy after 31k miles)

d. send Ohlins rear shock out for rebuild(doesn't really "need" it yet, but would rather do it now than in June...)

e. clean lots of stuff while it's apart

f. Install my Racetech Gold valves install the Racetech-valved 05 R1 front end I just bought. :smile:

I'm sure I'll do more on the VTEC, like change oil, clean the air filter, etc, usually just do that stuff as it strikes me while I have other stuff apart.

All that will be done in between side jobs working on other peoples bikes too. Gonna be busy for sure, and that's how I like it! I hate winter with a passion, but at least I don't feel guilty about not riding while wrenching... :lurk:

See this list.......... I am of the opinion that the '83 should be tops before anything else gets done..........hey watcha' gonna' do with that front end? I think you have enough to do already I think you should :fing02:donate that front end to the "Pocono suspesion upgrade" charity and I'll make sure it goes to good use.:beer:

Guest tmyoungjr

On my 03 VFR (all based on financial feasibility as i'm in the process of purchasing a house) :

- 520 conversion (really no real reason other than a bit of weight savings and I like the idea)

- +2 rear sprocket

I strongly suggest you buy the highest quailty 520 sprocket & chain kit as possible because the weight of the VFR will wear these parts out at a much more rapid pace. I bought a 520 DID/sprocket kit for my Vtec Track Pig from Spocket Center(excellent company) as track miles build at a fraction of the rate as street miles.

I went 1dn/2-up.

:cool:

BR

BR : thanks for the advice, I'd been given the same already and have some thoughts on that front. I actually had planned on the Vortex F5 hardened for the rear and a D.I.D ERV3 chain. Again, I'm not doing it for any real reason other than I'd like to save a decent chunk of weight and this'll help. I don't ride track days, nor do I ride overly hard on the street, so I should get acceptable to me length out of this (ie a number of years).

• 2 weeks later...

Last ride was today, Snow coming tonight, I guess it is time to start the list...

Street VFR:

-Oil & Filter

-Stabilize fuel

-Fog motor

-Drain carbs

-Clean/lube and inspect chain

-Spend some quality time detailing.

It is an odd numberspring so that means.

-Flush/Replace anti-freeze

-Replace all brake/clutch fluids

-Inspect/clean calipers if needed

-Replace fork oil (tempted to redo the whole suspension this year)

Tracken Viffer

-Oil & Filter

-Fog motor

-Drain carbs

-Clean/lube and inspect chain

-Spend some quality time detailing.

-Finish Painting Body work

-Fabricate new aluminum sub frame

-Rear sets

Wish list

- Air box modifications

- Rear hub converson

- Undertail/ Hi Mount exhaust mods.

Edited by VIFFER93

• Member Contributer

I'm plannin on throwing on a rear rack and JC top box that i recently purchased from a VFRD member, as well as my darth bling mirrors. If the pocket book allows, I'd like to throw a set of heated grips and a zumo on there as well. That takes care of one weekend. :)

Did you find an alternate source for DB mirror adapters or did you already happen to have them? AFAIK they're no longer made. I think there is still some interest out there in them if they were available.

I did just do the following to my 02 within the last few months so I don't have any big list right now.

- Starter Valve sync

- T-stat

- antifreeze

- K&N clean

- plugs (IR)

- fork seals

- fork oil

I was thinking of checking the valves, but it would be on this engine!

post-301-0-49143000-1291579929_thumb.jpg

:biggrin:

I did install some exhaust spuds to quite down my beast, but now I think I hear the tick, tick of another CTT! :blush:

Of course I got 50k from the second set so far.

• Member Contributer

I ride all winter, but there are a few things I want to do:

• Finally installed heated grips today (Koso).
  • Started installing the ScottOiler (touring version) I bought about two years ago. Kind of wish I never bought it but, since I did, I might as well install it.
  • Shift kit still has to be installed (it's been sitting on the shelf for a long time).
  • Need to remove the four Powerlet outlets I installed way back when, and replace the gauge cluster bezel I picked up used (the one I have has holes in it where the Powerlet sockets are located). Just don't need that many outlets. I have no idea what I was thinking. I now have just a steering stem socket. Everything else is powered out of my tank bag.
  • I'd like to get my forks and shock worked, but am reluctant to take her out of commission for an extended period. Anyone want to make a few bucks and do this for me?

That's all I can think of right now.

P.S. I need to wash it. I've forgotten what color it is.

• Member Contributer

I'm callin BS on that BR :laughing6-hehe: :laughing6-hehe: :laughing6-hehe:

Unless that motor has over 100k on it :biggrin:

Vtec Valve check!!! :laughing6-hehe:

Same here!

I will need tires and brakes but thats about it. Got 150 miles in friday. Temp went from 52f to 38f in 20 minutes. The sun is so low on the horizion that everything is shady by 4pm. Weak winter here.

I did install some exhaust spuds to quite down my beast, but now I think I hear the tick, tick of another CTT! :blush:

Time to take the spuds back out then! :goofy:

Don't you have some bikes to part out too?

I'm callin BS on that BR :laughing6-hehe: :laughing6-hehe: :laughing6-hehe:

Unless that motor has over 100k on it :biggrin:

It's HS's 5th gen motor w/120k + miles, but I think he already checked them at some point! :blush:

post-301-0-67102600-1291595463_thumb.jpg

Time to take the spuds back out then! :goofy:

Not yet!

post-301-0-28544900-1291595553_thumb.jpg

Don't you have some bikes to part out too?

Done!

post-301-0-16215100-1291595617_thumb.jpg

post-301-0-34515800-1291595635_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest MiddleTBabb

Wow guys you really know how to make me feel like a SLACKER!

I might just stay inside, keep warm with coffee in the morning and southern comfort at night, and watch to see if Seb gets that huge list finished!

Cheers

MTB

Well, technically, I can cross #1 off the list.

#3 has proven to be more daunting, as I had some issues come up that were outside of my control and cost me a LOT of time.

I have just a few more parts to gather for my R1 conversion on the VTEC, then have to pick up all the maintenance supplies like oils/filters/etc. No biggie.

Need to get #3 off the lift so I can roll #2 on there and get started. Still have a chance to finish #2 up but it will be close. At least I have a bunch of parts ready, and a plan. And a new TIG welder. :smile:

Guest MiddleTBabb

Well, technically, I can cross #1 off the list.

#3 has proven to be more daunting, as I had some issues come up that were outside of my control and cost me a LOT of time.

I have just a few more parts to gather for my R1 conversion on the VTEC, then have to pick up all the maintenance supplies like oils/filters/etc. No biggie.

Need to get #3 off the lift so I can roll #2 on there and get started. Still have a chance to finish #2 up but it will be close. At least I have a bunch of parts ready, and a plan. And a new TIG welder. :smile:

...exactly! IM A SLACKER! haha happy new year :beer:

• Member Contributer

I know it isnt a VFR, but it is a Honda and I did spend 4 hours on it. Soichiro likes it when you save them:

So whoes garage is that Timmy?

And where is the flat black? :blink:

• Member Contributer

For the 00:

Dubious Chinese Pazzo Look A Like Levers

Brake pads all around

Steering head bearings

PAIR block off

Stock size rear sprocket

PC2 & 02 Elims

Clean out switch pods and regrease

clean electrical connectors and apply dielectric grease

DCPLALLs - complete

Brake pads - 1/3 complete

Parts for all others - in hand

• Member Contributer

Been unmotivated lately, but finally got out in the garage again. Did this today:

gallery_913_5664_301533.jpg

photo.JPG

Also checked valve clearance. 7 intake out of spec (tight), 1 right on bottom end. Every exhaust on the bottom of spec. Cams, holders, and gears look good, though.

PAIR block offs mounted on covers.

SP1 forks, lower triple; 954 upper triple are in the garage. Need to fix the steering stops, then see how it fits together with the fairings and figure out steering bearings and clip ons.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

On my 98 I plan to:

Have forks and new 929 shock rebuilt by Jaime Daugherty

Replace Head Bearings

Replace wheel bearings

Replace Spark Plugs

Remove Pair System

Sync Starter Valves

Clean up around sprockets

Install VFRNess

Solder the wires together and replace the stator plug.

Pazzo Lookalikes

a PC 1 tune!

NEW TIRES!!!!

Jason

• Member Contributer

I have been hesitant to post up because I am still researching what will work and what I need to fit it up....but here goes:

1. USD forks - probably KYB from a ZX10R or ZX14R (want Ohlins but who doesn't?)

2. De-link the brakes, radial mounted binders up front

3. CBR or Duc rear brake caliper and master

4. Marchesini or Brembo rear wheel, Ducati single nut

5. Matching front wheel, not sure about the wheels yet

Maybe I'll replace the windscreen that Baily duct taped together 3 years ago :biggrin: if I don't change out the stock plastic for something less bulbous

So to do all of this I have to get rid of some stuff...hopefully I'll be able to post some pix after this weekend.