2010-11 Winter Mods/Maintenance Thread

SEBSPEED

I ride year round and do mods on my winter ride in the summer and mods on my summer ride in the winter. I was using my 2K VFR in the Winter, but since I bought an 03 R1 last March I got behind on the 2k VFR maintenance. I did a lot of work and mods/upgrades on the R1, and used it most of the summer. I plan to use the R1 in the warmer months for commutes, aggressive runs and trackdays. I recently picked up an 05 VFR which I am using this winter and will do some mods and maintenance in the summer.

Winter Mods: Yamaha R1 - Velocity Stacks, PC III, Dyno tuned, Yoyodyne slipper clutch, re-cover seats with custom flame leather and gel pad.

2k Honda VFR: Chain & Sprocket, Iridium plugs, thermostat, anti-freeze flush and change over to Engine Ice, Stainless Oil filter & oil change, convert to synthetic oil (Shell Rotella T), Fork oil change and seals *(maybe new springs), recover seat, brakes pads. Not sure if I am going to be selling the 2k VFR after the summer, if not then I will also do the wheel and swingarm bearings, and tapered head bearing.

Summer Mods:

05 Honda VFR: Turbo City Fuel Pressure Regulator, Motovation Sliders and weighted Steel bar ends/sliders, CNG Levers, Galfer Stainless steel brake lines, Stainless Oil filter, convert to synthetic Oil (Shell Rotella T), Flush Anti-Freeze and convert to Engine Ice, Zero Gravity Double Bubble Windscreen, Gel pad in seat, Freeway Blaster horn, and Skull graphics kit.

I am selling my Yamaha YZF600R and will only be changing the oil, anti-freeze, and brake pads. The YZF 600R is a nice bike in excellent condition, and only a 600cc bike - reliable and cheap to maintain. I am a Motorcycle Club member and two of my club brothers will be working on my old 94 Suzuki Intruder so we can ride it this Summer.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member Contributer

Now that I have a CBR600RR to play with, I'll be starting work on my 2000 frankenviffer.

Plans so far include

RC51SP2 front end conversion(pending, may go with a more modern front end if funds allow it)

RC51 swingarm conversion

Replace the frame with a sixth gen frame I picked up cheap(mine is cracked where the subframe bolts on, plus its salvaged)

Generally lightening of the bike, she's not going to be much of a sport tourer when I get done with her!

Already have all the RC51 stuff from a roller I purchased a while back, just need to make room in the garage so I can start tinkering, guess thats the first project!

just need to make room in the garage so I can start tinkering, guess thats the first project!

Always a good one! It's amazing how refreshing that can be - or is that just my eagerness to make a mess... :huh: :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Purchase and install bootleg Pazzo Levers - Done

Reinstall all body work

Touch up chips on wheels

Change right crank case cover

Oil & filter

Check air filter

Check brake pads

Clean and lube chain

Pull exhaust can (Erion) remove black plastic coating that has been peeling off and polish it. If I don’t like the way it turns out, I’ll paint it black.

Plug it into battery tender and wait for Spring

The list will grow, I’m sure

I started early this year. What I got left to do is clear the code from doing the starter valve syn. from the other day. Install the PCV. Fit the Delkevic header to see if I have to mod it for my plans, before I send it out for ceramic coating. And waiting on the torocharger. Need one more to sign up for it I guess before toro starts making them. And for sh.... and giggles, maybe some Sato resets. I don't know......................... what's left to do?

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/62864-let-the-mods-begin-part-iii/

Edited by RustyA

Vtec Valve check!!! :laughing6-hehe:

Hey, I never thought of that! :idea3: No.............I'm going to be like you. :biggrin: If I goin' to check the valves. I'm pullin' the heads and doin' a port and polish, with a multi angle. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

For the 00:

Ready for this shocker: CLEAN the bike

What language was that in? Couldn't understand it! :laughing6-hehe:

My list? Make this rideable again:

gallery_913_5664_66697.jpg

Prep.jpg

Edited by KPerham

NOT A DAMN THING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whew...I'm tired.

:biggrin: Sure no need when bike is as mint as yours, just have to wait for nice rideing weather :fing02:

NOT A DAMN THING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whew...I'm tired.

:biggrin: Sure no need when bike is as mint as yours, just have to wait for nice rideing weather :fing02:

On the other hand, now is a great time in the northeast to buy a project bike... :laughing6-hehe:

Guest tmyoungjr

On my 03 VFR (all based on financial feasibility as i'm in the process of purchasing a house) :

- 520 conversion (really no real reason other than a bit of weight savings and I like the idea)

- +2 rear sprocket

- Sargent seat

- Aftermarket Exhaust (unsure what yet)

- PC + *maybe* autotune if i go PCV

- speedohealer

- double bubble windscreen

- pair removal / block off

- evap removal

I am certain I will add more. I also plan on doing standard maintenance as spring time approaches! Haven't put the bike away quite yet for this season as is! (although we did get some snow this AM!)

• Member Contributer

I dont have a lot of space to work, so its one bike at a time for me and funds are limited since I'm not working and doing the grad school thing.

Plan A

- Valkyrie

-------- Pull rear wheel off (its a shaft, bleah) and get moving on the upgrade to bling up the rear brakes/brackets and wheel polish.

-VFR800 '98

----------Finish the research and decide method for a slam dunk overkill permafix on the charging system. (Oh, the chronic engineers disease.. :biggrin: )

----------Rework heat shielding around rear cylinders, under seat wires and fuses, maybe around the header and shock too. Possbible fan in there to get some airflow. Mbe some shielding under the tank too. -The thing gets the seat warm and cooks my ass. It's getting old.

Plan B

-- Crank up the garage heater and blast the radio, park my butt in the lazy boy and consume lots of Becks dark beer. :goofy:

On my 03 VFR (all based on financial feasibility as i'm in the process of purchasing a house) :

- 520 conversion (really no real reason other than a bit of weight savings and I like the idea)

- +2 rear sprocket

I strongly suggest you buy the highest quailty 520 sprocket & chain kit as possible because the weight of the VFR will wear these parts out at a much more rapid pace. I bought a 520 DID/sprocket kit for my Vtec Track Pig from Spocket Center(excellent company) as track miles build at a fraction of the rate as street miles.

I went 1dn/2-up.

:cool:

BR

• Member Contributer

My mechanic (not because I'm lazy; just don't have the know-how):

Changed brake fluid, clutch fluid, cut down rear brake pushrod to lower brake pedal and accomodate BLS lowering blocks.

Me:

Change coolant, oil and filter, plugs, add vfrness and fuseblock from Tightwad, fill tank, add stabil, wash, hook up to Tender and cover with blanky.

Now wait 'til spring. Sigh.

Guest ChickenStrips

I'm plannin on throwing on a rear rack and JC top box that i recently purchased from a VFRD member, as well as my darth bling mirrors. If the pocket book allows, I'd like to throw a set of heated grips and a zumo on there as well. That takes care of one weekend. :)

• Member Contributer

If it rains often, but not a lot I may do a major cleaning/valve check on the VFR. It's getting new Galfer brake lines, and cylinder/caliper seals for sure.

If it rains a lot I'll be working so no time to wrench.

I still need to figure out why the SV650 is crapping out above 5K, and change the rear tire.

Need to decide if I'm gonna take the GTS back to the track sans bodywork, and if so which parts need to be removed, photographed, and put on eBay. Eventually the whole thing will go there if I don't find another one in good cosmetic condition really cheap.

Edited by MBrane

• Member Contributer

Well, since my inverted fork conversion dragged on through the summer and didn't get finished until October, I now only have minor additions to do over the winter. Which is completely backwards from how it should go...

Another Inverted Fork Conversion

Oh well, there's always next summer in New England to explore.

The list of stuff sitting in my basement and garage to be installed:

- K&N oil filter, new (eBay sourced used) clutch cover

- Motovation frame sliders

- Used (another eBay score) carbon fiber hugger - which needs a trim to eliminate a crack on the trailing edge and an aluminum mounting bracket I need to make

- Reverse (GP) shift for my Vortex rearsets; I have the parts, but need new bearings for the shifter arm

- Install some stickers to tie together my Yoshimura theme with the Honda (HRC); first, I have to clean the bike though

- Continue super-secret radiator modification trials

Other stuff on the docket:

- Cut a new bracket to mount my Yoshimura R55 muffler and Ohlins preload adjuster

- Build an undertail panel to fill in the open space where the mufflers used to live

- Install a CBR1000RR clutch master cylinder and adjust the bars for better cockpit clearance

There's probably more, but we'll see how much time I get to work on it. The undertail panel is an experiment in composites; I've done some carbon fiber work before, but that was in college and it's been a while.

Lacy

• Member Contributer

Instal a voltmeter

maybe a fusebox

get rid of that noise, check the cam chain tensioner....

Oh! Silly me, my 4th Gen has

gear.gif

:laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

I've got an 8-spoke rear wheel that's been sitting here for months. The problem is if I get it powder coated, I'm gonna have to powder coat the front wheel to match. Then I'm gonna want to powder coat the front brake carriers. Then I'm gonna need fresh rubber. Now that I'd have such good looking wheels, I'm gonna want to repaint the entire bike. :sad:

• Member Contributer

My to do list:

* Front end modification with CBR600F4i rebound adjustment transplant (I already have Racetec Compression Valve and Hyperpro progressive springs in there) and Racetec Rebound Valves

* New cush drive, sprockets and chain

* New tyres

* Carbon rear hugger

* Oil change

* Billet oil filter (http://www.hsperformanceparts.com)

* 98-99 VFR headers

* 5th gen. right side radiator

* Brake fluid change accompanied by Kevlar brake lines

* Torocharger! (I hope the fifth customer shows up soon :happy: )

* Boost gauge, shift light, with gear indicator (if there is such a thing, if not just the shift light)

I am also looking at Bitubo shock absorbers front and back for my '88 Vespa PX200 but, that might have to wait for another year depending on the price.

• Member Contributer

I am of the opinion we should keep this list of Seb's alive and see actually how much he gets done. :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

I sure would welcome the encouragement!! :cheerleader:

I truely hope you'll get this list done this year. I really want to ride the 750.:biggrin: