2010-11 Winter Mods/Maintenance Thread

SEBSPEED

Well, only if you want to I guess... :biggrin:

Being that I'm "lucky enough" to live in a place that prevents me riding my bikes for at least 4 months out of the year ( :dry: ), I always start winter off with a To-Do list of mods and maintenance to be completed by the beginning of riding season. I'll show you my list if you show me yours! :goofy:

So far my plans include:

1. Work on the 83 VF restoration a little more.

2. Complete the rebuild of the 81 CB900F SS I bought recently. I actually entered a winter buildoff on another site with the bike, I'm doing a front and rear suspension swap, converting to monoshock, CBR wheels, digital gauges, repainting it, and making a good strong runner out of it. I have until May to finish it.

3. Finish my secret 4th gen project.

4. Mods & Maintenance (m&m's ??) on my baby the 05 VFR, including but not limited to...

a. replace left rad and oil cooler hose( been a bit jammed up for years, have new parts)

b. install catless header that I've had for 2 years now / remap PC3

c. send Sargent out for rebuild(getting mushy after 31k miles)

d. send Ohlins rear shock out for rebuild(doesn't really "need" it yet, but would rather do it now than in June...)

e. clean lots of stuff while it's apart

f. Install my Racetech Gold valves install the Racetech-valved 05 R1 front end I just bought. :smile:

I'm sure I'll do more on the VTEC, like change oil, clean the air filter, etc, usually just do that stuff as it strikes me while I have other stuff apart.

All that will be done in between side jobs working on other peoples bikes too. Gonna be busy for sure, and that's how I like it! I hate winter with a passion, but at least I don't feel guilty about not riding while wrenching... :lurk:

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really have a "winter mods" list since the bike never really stops getting ridden, rode today as a matter of fact. :-) I do have some new tires sitting in the garage I got last week to put on though.

So in the past, how much of your list do you usually get done?? Seems like you have a lot on there, so was just wondering if you actually get it all done or are there things that just get pushed off?? It seems I have a constant list of things to do around the house, on vehicles, etc. that don't ever seem to get done (no big deal items, just things eventually I'd like to do). I'm not sure I would know what to do with myself if I didn't have a list of things to do when I get bored. LOL

So in the past, how much of your list do you usually get done?? Seems like you have a lot on there, so was just wondering if you actually get it all done or are there things that just get pushed off?? It seems I have a constant list of things to do around the house, on vehicles, etc. that don't ever seem to get done (no big deal items, just things eventually I'd like to do). I'm not sure I would know what to do with myself if I didn't have a list of things to do when I get bored. LOL

I pretty much always have a to-do list for bike stuff. What I put up there, is the portion of the list to be done by spring time. Of course there are always unforeseen events that prevent some portion of work from getting done - case in point, the secret project. Goal was to finish in 1 year, that would be Thanksgiving... however, I sent wheels, swingarm, and a couple other essentials out for powdercoat with a 1 week expected turnaround. The guy's gun crapped out, and now with new issues being worked out my parts have been gone for a month, leaving me stuck with little possible progress. New goal is Xmas/New Year, but in reality early January as getting in the paint booth during the holidays will be tough.

I'll also admit that I don't lead much of a social life - I prefer to spend time in the garage vs going out. I love working on bikes, making them cooler and better performing.

Well for the VFR it seem it will be a PowerCommander, a sync of throttle body and getting new keys (if its a winter project, well i only have oen that twist werry easy).

I like to rebuild the clutch also. Then I have my wifes GSX550E (GS550E in US) that I´m well on way whit conventing to slightly wider 17" wheels insted of the slim 16/18 stockers.

The front brakes is the biggest challange right now.

post-880-0-11855100-1289999897_thumb.jpg

The rest time will be spent whit my boys I think :biggrin:

Edited by keny

• Member Contributer

For the 00:

Dubious Chinese Pazzo Look A Like Levers

Brake pads all around

Steering head bearings

PAIR block off

Stock size rear sprocket

PC2 & 02 Elims

Clean out switch pods and regrease

clean electrical connectors and apply dielectric grease

Ready for this shocker: CLEAN the bike

Oh, and I'm looking for some offroad capable stuff, I've got a bead on a fixer upper 4x4 atv...

• Member Contributer

My list is rather modest compared to Mr. Haveskillandlotsafreetime there :biggrin:

I originally planned to install some grip heaters and flush clutch and brake fluid over the winter, but had some time the other weekend and just did it. The thought of flushing VTEC brakes used to cause enxiety attacks due to LBS, ABS and other BS, but I downloaded the service manual and it turned out to be not big deal at all.

Apparently grip heaters come in two flavors; The shitty ones and the nice ones. I used to have Symtek ones that cost like 40 clams and they were nice. The ones I bought this time cost 15 and are crap. Go figure :goofy:

The difference is in the way they handle Hi/Lo settings. The good ones have two heating circuits - High and low power that draw more and less amps respectively. The crappy ones have one high power heating circuit. Low setting is achieved by venting extra amps through an external resistor. Nothing particularly wrong with this design, but its inefficient and I don't like that.

So, for the winter, I'll wash the bike, change oil and... Will keep reading threads like this to give me more ideas on how to spend the money :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Oh god. I already have a feeling I'm going to be visiting home very often on the weekends.

Track down electrical gremlin on Katana

Engine Swap on the Magna

Replace Lowering kit on RWB with stock setup

Steering head bearings on 4th gen #1

Properly mount R/r on 4th gen #1

Finish assembling ST1100 #2

Re-set forks on 98 VFR

Prep '00 R1 forks for use on 98 VFR

929 shock for 98 VFR

Prep work for 4th gen #2

Stare at the ST1300 and ask, why was this a good idea?

For my 99 spidey bike

install Elka rear shock

repair electrical issues

have seat stitched with spidey webbing and logo as well have gel padding added

make and install webbed kickstand

re-route exhaust to under the tail

cut front fender with air slots and add glow lights to the underside of it.

and if spring is not early maybe a Power commander

• Member Contributer

Winter project:

General inspection, wash and clean, oil change completed.

Install:

1. New rear shock (re-valved / new spring) and new fork springs: JamieDaugherty ....... Come on Canada Post...........

2. Symtec heated grips

My 12 year old son gave me $20.00 towards a heated Jacket and GPS for my upcoming birthday. Its an investment in his future bike as he put it.

• Member Contributer

Change oil, new chain and sprockets, new rear shock, and fill it with fuel and keep riding :biggrin:

Seb, you are truly "lucky" to have all that time to work on projects :laughing6-hehe:

Seb, you are truly "lucky" to have all that time to work on projects :laughing6-hehe:

:wink: Glad you kept your comment tame... you have a whole winter's worth of me b!tch!ng about snow to look forward to!! :goofy:

Hey Seb, was looking at your to do list and I dont see the clutch cover mod in there. Whats up with that? :biggrin:

Dangit. Knew I forgot something!

Need to revamp my gps mount & power source too. This is how these things go! lol

• Member Contributer

It was 35 degrees this morning on my way to work.

First, buy different gloves these fat things make my hands cramp, they SUCK billy goats.

I would like to say I am getting that supercharger for my 98 VFR but, that would not be true. However a rack is in order because I need to haul more than just arse.

I am going to add a set of short tips to the 98 VFR just to see how sick they will sound and a PCIII possibly.

I am hoping I will be starting on a 'new to me' CB750 Cafe custom soon, we shall see.

Also I hope to be working on the girlfriends old standard converting it to a cafe or a bobber. Oh, and it has to be green, she will never let me call it done until it is green. Chics!

I just changed the oil and the chain and sprocket are new.....

I could use a better neck gator.

Oh and last I would like a near rear tire for christmas

I have been good :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Change oil, new chain and sprockets, new rear shock, and fill it with fuel and keep riding :biggrin:

TIme I don't need much of but, space I need badly.......I miss my old shop. Heated and 24 feet of bench on one side :beatdeadhorse:

Not planning any mods for the winter months - unless I happen to find a nice used set of CF cans for sale (that are compatible with the OEM hardbag brackets).

Since my friend and I just did most routine maintenance (all fluids, new chain & sprockets, etc.) in March I normally wouldn't need to do much this off-season, but I rode a ton of miles this year, so I'm thinking I'll have to do more than usual. Stuff that I'd usually do every other year I might have to do now instead.

*sighs* I guess that's the price you pay for getting a lot of riding in during one year. :wink:

I do have a complete set of brake pads waiting to be installed, and I know that's one thing I need for sure. Would like to install a good set of grip warmers soon, too.

My season isn't over just yet but I'd like to clean up my bike before winterizing it next month, and will likely wait 'til spring to do everything else.

Dang it, I didn't really "think" I had a lot to do, but did come up with more than I thought.

VFR:

Custom PCIII map

Front & rear brake pads

Clean turn signal switch assembly

Install Tires

Check steering head bearings

Flush brake fluid

Flush clutch fluid

Recover Corbin Seat

'86 VF500F:

De-rust gas tank

Rebuild petcock

Tires

Brake fluid

Battery

Oil & filter change

GSX1100G:

De-rust gas tank

Rebuild petcock

Clean carbs

Tires

Brake fluid

Rebuild front master cylinder

Battery

Oil & filter change

• Member Contributer

NOT A DAMN THING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whew...I'm tired.

No no no no. You, Mister, gotta take more pics of this beautiful bike of yours. And good ones to show that great paint job!! That should take you lots of time!! :fing02:

C

• Member Contributer

NOT A DAMN THING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whew...I'm tired.

You deserve a rest from what I've seen. :fing02:

My list:

1) Oil and filter change

2) Air filter

3) Flush clutch and brake fluid

4) Install fuse block

5) Install ST1300 heated grip kit that I "stole" off eBay

6) Install power lead for GPS

7) Keep a keen eye on eBay for a cheap set of OEM hard bags

• Member Contributer

Good idea for a thread!

Let's see.........

VFR:

-check brake pads to see how much is left

-flush and replace all fluids, including brake system (ABS not looking forward to this one (hard?) but it hasn't been done in three years, I figure it's time, looks like an amber beer)

-tidy up all connectors since I installed VFRness

-maybe install heated grips I've had for three years?!?

-replace all fairing bolts/fasteners that were lost in the last couple of years

-dang Honda, not much repairs to do on those, only maintenance !!

Old Kawa (1983 KZLtd shaftie)

-reinstall carbs

-put tank back on

-get new battery

-lube everything that moves

-replace all rubbers that were used as snack by rats in PO's garage (foot pegs, handles)

-get old seat reupholstered (any advice is welcome here, where, how much, what to expect?!?)

-replace spark plugs

-reinstall air filter and other misc parts I took out to inspect or clean

-try and start 'er up?

-deal with anything that craps out once started up!! :biggrin:

-try and insure with collector's plates so I can ride over the winter

Looks like I'll be busy over the winter. And, with the way my garage leaks, I won't need to put the beer in a fridge to chill it.... :laughing6-hehe:

C

• Member Contributer

Install Lindemann Engineering forks and Penske triple-clicker shock

Find some good weather and dial it all in

Install a fuzeblock FZ-1 to clean up accessories wiring (GPS, Gerbing controller, Battery Tender pigtail, Flash2Pass garage door opener)

Make a list of all the rides I want to do next year

Find some good weather and RIDE! (I'd much rather ride than winterize, and even in Oregon there's weather that's good enough to ride in off and on all winter.)