Fake Ohlins forks

SEBSPEED

I painted a set of CBR 1kRR forks to look like fake Ohlins forks last night. Used House of Kolor Pagan Gold kandy on the uppers and HOK fine Orion Silver on the lowers.

Me likey. smile.gif

11-2-10003-1.jpg

goldforks1.jpg

goldforks2.jpg

848-1098-ohlins-forks-96848.jpg

EDIT 11-12-10: Assembled! I mixed some 7.5wt oil since the dealership only had 5 & 10... removed the oil lock, bumped up the oil height(reduced the air gap) for bottoming resistance, thorough clean & polish on all parts. :fing02:

11-12-10001.jpg

11-12-10002.jpg

EDIT: Decals added:

47d55bae.jpg

2ba7e29c.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Fake Ohlins... Faux-hlins?!? It sounds better when you say it than it looks on paper (or the computer screen)...

Nice, but now there will be a rash of cheap Ohlins forks popping up on eBay with Showa or Kayaba part numbers under the gold paint.

Lacy

Fake Ohlins... Faux-hlins?!? It sounds better when you say it than it looks on paper (or the computer screen)...

Nice, but now there will be a rash of cheap Ohlins forks popping up on eBay with Showa or Kayaba part numbers under the gold paint.

Lacy

FOhlins? :goofy:

I wanted to send them out for anodize, but that proved to be out of my budget. The quart of Kandy paint cost $50, the silver was left over from some other job so no cost there.

I think I have some real Ohlins stickers floating around in my toolbox, not sure I want to go that far though. :biggrin:

Viffer93, the "Nohlins" ones would be pretty funny, do you really have some or were you kidding?

• Member Contributer

Do you anticipate any problems with stiction or any other problems resulting from the finish maybe not being as smooth as the original coatings on the forks?

Do you anticipate any problems with stiction or any other problems resulting from the finish maybe not being as smooth as the original coatings on the forks?

I didn't make any alterations to the fork tube itself, just cosmetic changes on the outside of the slider and the fork bottom(these are USD forks).

The tube is masked off with the blue tape you can see there, and I did a careful job of backtaping the sliders so no paint would get inside. . :fing02:

Viffer93, the "Nohlins" ones would be pretty funny, do you really have some or were you kidding?

Well, I was kind of kidding. I am going to have some made up because I have those R1 forks with the Ohlins springs. I will let you know.

Well, I was kind of kidding. I am going to have some made up because I have those R1 forks with the Ohlins springs. I will let you know.

In that case, I'll ask Throttlepimp if he'll make us some. How many do you want, and what size? PM me!

• Member Contributer

will the clamps ruin the paint job? and will it hold them with out making wrinkles??

i know you have to spread the clamp a little to get them in the bottom.. but will it hold them??

• Member Contributer

In that case, I'll ask Throttlepimp if he'll make us some. How many do you want, and what size? PM me!

hey i want a couple too! wait.. 6 or 8 of them.. :fing02:

will the clamps ruin the paint job? and will it hold them with out making wrinkles??

i know you have to spread the clamp a little to get them in the bottom.. but will it hold them??

It should be fine. I've seen painted uppers done before, on non-trailer queen bikes, and it's held up. Yes, I'll have to spread the clamps a bit and maybe grease the tubes to slip them in easier and without scratching them.

I'll let you know on the decals.

• Member Contributer

That looks amazing.

You, sir have some talent.

Keep'em pictures comin'.

How did that cost compare to Powder Coating? Same, more, less?

I dig the shinny gold BTW

The cost will likely depend on who does the coating. The guy that I'm using now doesn't know of any powders that are a match for the gold anodize look, although there is "talk in the PC community" of developing such a powder.

• Member Contributer

...the "Nohlins" ones would be pretty funny, do you really have some or were you kidding?

Like the guy up the street from me who painted his Sears lawn tractor green with yellow trim and lettering and logoed it as a JOHN DOE. Close, but no trade mark infringement.

That looks amazing.

Thanks Dmitry.

In case anyone wants to know, I prepped the tubes with scuffing paste and a grey(fine) Scotch-Brite cloth, then they were shot with 4 light coats of the Pagan Gold kandy which was mixed with an extra .5 part of reducer to thin it out more.

I'll post more pics of the forks after I get them assembled.

...the "Nohlins" ones would be pretty funny, do you really have some or were you kidding?

Like the guy up the street from me who painted his Sears lawn tractor green with yellow trim and lettering and logoed it as a JOHN DOE. Close, but no trade mark infringement.

Good one! :biggrin:

Archived