Quoting entire posts in your replies

I notice lots of members quoting entire (lengthy) posts in their replies. It's especially bad if it's a pic-heavy post that youre quoting.

Please, please, please snip out the unnecessary bits and only quote the parts that are germane to your reply or question.

It makes the forum infinitely more readable for everyone, and saves us mods lots of work editing people's replies to something like a ride report thread with the same million pics quoted over and over again.

That is all.

/rant :goofy:

• Member Contributer

I notice lots of members quoting entire (lengthy) posts in their replies. It's especially bad if it's a pic-heavy post that youre quoting.

Please, please, please snip out the unnecessary bits and only quote the parts that are germane to your reply or question.

It makes the forum infinitely more readable for everyone, and saves us mods lots of work editing people's replies to something like a ride report thread with the same million pics quoted over and over again.

That is all.

/rant :goofy:

Agreed. :fing02:

The ones with multiple pics in the quotes are the worst.

Agreed!!!

I Edit every one I see when reading forms as it wastes everyone's time and space! :dry:

Please just reply to a post if you can't figure out how to quote just one line, pic or paragraph.

• Member Contributer

maybe a reply button that doesn't automatically quote the post your replying to would help

That's an Add Reply button a the top and bottom of the page.

• Forum CEO

Yes if you click the add reply button at the very top it will not quote any posts, if you click reply to post it will quote the post, all of it, there is an opening tag for quotes and a closing tag with a slash in it, the slash must be there to close the tags.

[quote]this is what gets quoted between the tags[/quote]

gpd211

Maybe you were meaning one at the sender's place... what you can do is a copy of that person's name and paste it in you message...

Or copy/paste what you wanted to draw attention to...."maybe a reply button that doesn't automatically quote the post your replying to would help"gpd211

• Member Contributer

maybe a reply button that doesn't automatically quote the post your replying to would help

How about a "TextQuote" button next to the "MultiQuote"? Even that can get out of hand, with quotes of quotes of quotes, so chop it to the smallest of the last reply or the last three lines.

• Member Contributer

working on a half eaten food picture button!

Thanks HS. I have to clean the coffee off of my LCD now :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

Am I the only one that got a chuckle out of the fact that the first reply to this thread quoted the OP in entirety? :laughing6-hehe:

Nope. I showed a couple of coworkers, who all chuckled as well ;)

• Member Contributer

/rant

Trim down your own .signature while you're at it. :goofy:

Am I the only one that got a chuckle out of the fact that the first reply to this thread quoted the OP in entirety? :laughing6-hehe:

I was gonna quote the whole thing and the reply, but i was afraid of the overdue ban.

• Member Contributer

I was gonna quote the whole thing and the reply, but i was afraid of the overdue ban.

I couldn't help myself. :goofy:

Amen, Veefer. :fing02:

If you're going to 'reply' to posts, edit the post you're quoting so it contains just the passage to which you are responding. This goes double for posts with pix - especially more than one pic! :dry:

BTW, I like it when members state in their thread titles or subtitles that their post is "pic heavy". That way if I'm just giving the site a quick browse I know to wait to check out the thread when I have more time available.

• 10 months later...
  • Forum CEO

Shoot dude I am still getting emails "why was my account deleted"? what is it now? ~ almost a month and a half since the "incident" with the deleteing everybody thing happened? I doubt they will find and read this any time soon, well the ones who do it anyway *cough* wrestler *cough*

I found a hook though that will convert quoted photos to links instead of displaying the photos over and over again in a web of nested quotes in quotes - full 30k character posts with 40 or so images quoted will be somewhat shortened with links instead of 1200 pixle wide photos shown over and over again.