Honda Cross-Tourer

Guest phobe

• Member Contributer

Dont get me wrong but I was just chocked at the price SF was told in Calgary compared to me who is about 300km north. That dealer is asking about $3000 over sticker. I am even looking at the Varadero and a 2009 is on my list. To me, what I consider to be an Adventure bike is something that gives you the ability to go from Edmonton to California doing the speed limit. It should carry your tent/light gear/xtra fuel that you can go on a logging road, but off it and onto the cow trails/game trails and check things out. If you drop it on the trail... O well, pick it up and keep going.KTM 990 is nice, mind you I only had a chance to ride it to Red Deer and no complaints. I wouldnt take a Multistrada in the bush, but it is a sweet looking bike.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am perplexed with what seems to be an increasing trend to make a bike look like a BMW GS but perform like a sport tourer.

I am not as in Europe the GS is the best selling bike and it's primary use is sport touring. All manufacturers will be looking at BMW as it is the only high volume brand that has seen increased sales over the past years.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

A couple more reviews.

http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-first-rides/first-ride-honda-crosstourer-review/20122.html

http://www.ashonbikes.com/content/honda-crosstourer-0

A few dirt roads on tour in not a bad thing.

45695.jpg

Even did some of that in Idaho last summer.

2546243280099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

• 1 year later...

This month's issue of Motorcyclist has a feature article of a tour of the European Alps on adventure bikes including the Honda Cross Tourer DCT version. The bikes included the 2013 water cooled version of the BMW GS, the new KTM Adventure, the Ducati Multistrada, the Triumph, the Honda and the Yamaha Super Tenere. No spoilers here but here's a hint, they thought the 2013 GS was hands down better than the 2012 version. The Honda sounds good, but the DCT version is 20 pounds heavier than the normal clutch model and that made it the heaviest bike of the bunch. I think it looks pretty good.

I'd still like to see one in the flesh. If it is 'dually' enough I'd consider selling my KLR and using one of these as a tourer. For gravel roads and fire roads it looks like it would do the trick and is likely heaps cheaper than a GS/GSA.

• Member Contributer

I would not recommend gravel/fire roads on a Xtrourer, but then again, I am not an expert here. In other words, I hate riding at such a surface....

5e5a51b8.jpg

Queu song from Madonna..

"I'm keeping my baby....."

02854e75.jpg

don't let the perspective fool ya; the X is one big bike.....

63bba83a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

The cross tourer looks gigantic next to the 5th gen. To me the 5th gen is a big bike.

Here is a pic from a small meet we had

crossdressers8_zpsbd85391e.jpg

And here's what my DCT sounds like (Quill slip-on can)

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I saw the new (to USA) Crosstourer at the Long Beach show yesterday. I was so excited I did not wait to let my camera focus....oops. The DCT version was listed at about $16K. I was impressed. I could flat foot (6ft tall). The bags were larger and looked to be capable of carrying a lot of crap. I carry a lot of crap on tour. The adjustable windshield is fantastic and I rate it the best of the current crop of one hand adjustables.

The also had a DCT demo bike there at the booth.......too big a line for me to try it but the 3rd gen DCT is getting dialed in!

at about 7K less than a GSA it looks to be a good alternative.

med_gallery_2144_2760_202490.jpg

The Africa Twin is spectacular.

• 1 year later...

Archived