Honda Cross-Tourer

Guest phobe

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the bike, looks big and comfortable. That sweet v4 is perfect in this application. To bad its not coming to the U.S.

Has that already been announced? Not that I would be buying one, but I could add it to the list of bikes I lust for if it was.

There is another big street bike release planed for the dealers in november. I'll stick the date up here when I find it out. Given the amount of internal Honda chatter about this bike, I think we are likely to see it here in the US. There is supposedly an ST variant too but its delayed a bit for price reasons.

My opinion on the bike: its not a real GS level off-roader. But most of em dont get used anyway so if its half as good a gravel road bike as the GS it will be twice what 90% of the adventure bike buyers use. My friend Dan just did a Canada to Buenos aries tour while between jobs, his bike of choice was something simple, reliable and unlikely to be stolen, a KLR650

Guest Recalcitrance

Confusing in terms of naming since Honda released last year the Crosstour car.

Crosstour

Cross Tourer

Crossrunner

I think they're taking marketing ideas from Porche. :mellow:

• Member Contributer

Given the amount of internal Honda chatter about this bike, I think we are likely to see it here in the US.

I'm in if it comes - ready for something I can put major single-day miles on. Love my VFR, but just can't get the ergos where they need to be for me. Would love to stay with a V4 - love the engine!

<p>I'd take it down a crazy dirt road.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I've done some crazy riding on my 04 with normal street tires on dirt roads, fields, and have even gotten both tires off the ground.  Is the weight ideal? suspension perfect? no.  but it can be done and it can be fun, I'd like to take a big 1200 with knobby tires out on a long power line road ride in the Nevada desert :)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>-Drew</p>

• Member Contributer

We should know tomorrow.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/New-bikes/2011/October/oct2011-honda-confirms-crosstourer-as-2012-model/Honda/_/R-EPI-133280

"Honda today confirms that the Crosstourer model unveiled as a concept at the 2010 EICMA show will go into mass production, and will be first revealed at the 2011 EICMA Milan show in early November,......"

I like it. My wife thinks it is beautiful. But, having just bought a leftover 2008 leftover 800, I don't think I will bite. Too bad because it looks like a comfortable bike that a guy could keep a long time.

Here are some pics of the final version, named VFR1200X Crosstourer:

0-2012_HONDA_CROSSTOURER_0.jpg

0-2012_HONDA_CROSSTOURER_1.jpg

0-2012_HONDA_CROSSTOURER_2.jpg

0-2012_HONDA_CROSSTOURER_3.jpg

0-2012_HONDA_CROSSTOURER_4.jpg

ctblack.png

0-2012_HONDA_CROSSTOURER_5.jpg

Available in DCT and regular clutch transmisson. It has Traction control and the engine delivers 129HP/7750rpm 126Nm/6500rpm. Fuel tank has a capacity of 21,5L and the overall weight is 275kg (285kg for the DCT).

Triumph also recently unveiled their new BMW GS competitor, the shaft drive 1200 Tiger Explorer:

Triumph_Tiger_Explorer_1200.jpg

1215cc 3 cylinder, 137HP/9300rpm, 121Nm/7850rpm, 259kg, 20L fuel capacity

Electronic cruise control, Traction control and ABS that can be switched off.

The stator generates 950W, enough for e.g. heated gear for both rider and passenger.

Both the Honda and the Triumph have a 17" rear and a 19" front wheel.

• Member Contributer

Is it me or does it look a lot less massive than the concept? It looks pretty slim in fact, especially in the last picture. I like the looks of the Triumph better though...

• Member Contributer

Damn and I was just getting my mind around getting a 2001 KLR650 for about $1400 to get into dual sporting...now you guys have gone and spoiled it!!!

• Member Contributer

605 lbs...man that's heavy, even if just ridden on gravel roads that's heavy. (570 for the Trumpet and 504 for the GS1200GS)

• Member Contributer

After V4 Rosso posted his comment, I went to my local dealer on lunch and chatted it up with them. They still have 6 2009 Varadaro's and at least 3 2010's. There sales went south faster when the local Triumph dealer in town had all of their Tiger 800XC arrive. I managed a test ride last week on the BMW 800GS and the Tiger 800XC and so far the tiger is "winning" my vote. The sad news is that according to the gent I spoke with, the Honda 1200 will not reach Canada until 2013. Dont know if I can wait that long. Gerrys02800 needs a Gerrys"insertnewbikehere" stable mate soon.

• 1 month later...

Man at least it's coming to Canada. Here in the U.S. there is no word if this bike will ever make it here. Too bad because as the years go on this tall comfortable four cylinder honda is one I could be comfortable on.

• Member Contributer

After V4 Rosso posted his comment, I went to my local dealer on lunch and chatted it up with them. They still have 6 2009 Varadaro's and at least 3 2010's. There sales went south faster when the local Triumph dealer in town had all of their Tiger 800XC arrive. I managed a test ride last week on the BMW 800GS and the Tiger 800XC and so far the tiger is "winning" my vote. The sad news is that according to the gent I spoke with, the Honda 1200 will not reach Canada until 2013. Dont know if I can wait that long. Gerrys02800 needs a Gerrys"insertnewbikehere" stable mate soon.

Hey Gerry, I'm not in the market for one, but do those guys mention howuch of a discount they would give on an '09 Varadero? Just curious ...

C

• Member Contributer

I will try and stop by the 2 dealers near me in the next few days and find out the exact dollar figure. I remember that they where still at those years full list price, then marked down only $1000.00.

• Member Contributer

I will try and stop by the 2 dealers near me in the next few days and find out the exact dollar figure. I remember that they where still at those years full list price, then marked down only $1000.00.

Hello Gerry,

Please don't go out of your way to find out for me. I was just curious to know how much those bikes go for. If I were rich, I would probably have one since I like the look but I'm not even sure how they perform or how reliable they are. But I like those dual bikes and they seem perfect for riding around the city too because of the better visibility allowed by the very upright position.

Cheers man!

C

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Noticed that the wheels allow for tubeless tire installation.

I am lusting already. Would love to test ride one!

• 2 weeks later...

The local dealers are listing the Varadero as 16,000 without crash bars, luggage or racks. I could by two kitted out new KLRs for that much money. I'd still like to see the big new Honda and see if it is a match for the BMW GSA.

• Member Contributer

The local dealers are listing the Varadero as 16,000 without crash bars, luggage or racks. I could by two kitted out new KLRs for that much money. I'd still like to see the big new Honda and see if it is a match for the BMW GSA.

$16,000.00 ???? ummmm MC sales are slow enough with out them jacking the price up over retail. The dealer in Edmonton has their 2009 for $12,000.00 and the 2010 for $13,199.00 ( Honda Retail ). I can not remember SF if you have the GIVI bags on your bike, but all I have to do is buy the mount kit and throw my V35/V36 bags on ( Also installed the Admore light kits ). If the 2012 Tiger 1200 stays at the price of $17,500.00 ( per Edmonton MC show ) I would sooner buy that bike before paying 16G's for the Varadero that will be replaced in less than a year by the Honda 1200.

• Member Contributer

I like the looks of it better than the Triumph because it is very clean design without any over the top attempt to "look tough." When I had the chance to check out the Triumph at the bike show in Long Beach, it seemed like it had some unecessary "tough guy" design elements that gave it a poser look. Plastic made to look like steel or diamond plating -- that kind of thing. On paper the Triumph has the specs, but its extensive use of plastic may be its downfall.

I like the clean lines of the Honda and it looks like a winner -- it will be interesting to see if VFR1200 mods translate over. BMW will be introducing its water cooled GS later this year --- I am sure there will be an interesting shootout.

Overall, I am perplexed with what seems to be an increasing trend to make a bike look like a BMW GS but perform like a sport tourer. Why not just make a good sport tourer? I admit to being smitten by the Multistrada, but is it really an adventure bike?

Archived