BR's Vtec fork seal replacement!

Baileyrock

I guess one to many accidental wheelies had done it's toll on my fork seals as the right one failed after some 40k miles so it was time to replace them.

I ordered a set of aftermarket seals and had a left over bottle of Ohlins fork oil so I put the Viffer up on the lift and got started. I was thinking about modifying my "30 Min fork oil change" thread to do the seals, but the forks were so dirty on the outside I decided to just pop them off!

Once on the lift I removed both bars and just hung them over the sides of the fairings.

post-301-095828100 1288055177_thumb.jpg

I removed the rear wheel to make jacking up the front end easier.

post-301-080250500 1288055211_thumb.jpg

I removed the calipers & front fender.

post-301-066190500 1288055273_thumb.jpg

Now I pulled the front wheel, loosened the upper and lower triple clamps and 20 minutes after starting the forks were off the bike!

post-301-056631500 1288055293_thumb.jpg

I used my Impact wrench to remove the bottom bolt while fully loaded

post-301-027820200 1288055429_thumb.jpg

Then pulled the caps and removed the entire cartridge assembly

post-301-054093000 1288055484_thumb.jpg

I pried off the dust seals

post-301-047801900 1288055522_thumb.jpg

and removed the seal clip

post-301-084793900 1288055562_thumb.jpg

Now I just used the fork as a slide hammer and beat the seals out by sliding the upper tube against them. Once they are separated the cleaning and inspection can begin.

post-301-024315800 1288055719_thumb.jpg

All clean, now reassembly. Pretty much just reverse the operation with the exception of using some type of driver to install the new seals, I use a piece of heavy wall tubing. Seals in and I temporally reinstall the spring & cap assembly so that I can tighten the bottom bolt.

Then remove the cap and spring, Collapse the fork and add oil. This is where you measure the air gap, I set them at 100mm.

post-301-056260300 1288056033_thumb.jpg

I reinstalled the spring, spaced and cap then slid the tubes back into the triples and set height! I'm running 49mm(stock 41mm)

post-301-053577100 1288056073_thumb.jpg

Forks reinstalled

post-301-024083700 1288056234_thumb.jpg

Now just install wheel, calipers, bars, torque and adjust everything.

Time to ride!

I left two days later for a 3 day 1200 mile twisty trip to the Fall Meet! :fing02:

BR

• Member Contributer

Yo, BR, can you please post a pic of what you used to pound in the bushings and washer, which lie directly under the fork seal? I presume you hammered those in, then gently hammered in the seal, correct? When I was trying to hammer the bushings and washer in using a PVC pipe, I had a hard time and had to take it to a shop to have them use their driver tool.

Yo, BR, can you please post a pic of what you used to pound in the bushings and washer, which lie directly under the fork seal? I presume you hammered those in, then gently hammered in the seal, correct? When I was trying to hammer the bushings and washer in using a PVC pipe, I had a hard time and had to take it to a shop to have them use their driver tool.

Here is my simple seal driver!

post-301-068831900 1288057514_thumb.jpg

I think it's just a piece of 2"(OD) exhaust pipe, it works like a charm as I've used it for years w/o issue! :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

I think it's just a piece of 2"(OD) exhaust pipe, it works like a charm as I've used it for years w/o issue! :biggrin:

Thanks! I'll have to get something like that for future work. Like a true moron, I hammered the bushings, washer, and seal in simultaneously. It's what the manual said to do. That's probably why it didn't work so well.

• Member Contributer

Thanks! I'll have to get something like that for future work. Like a true moron, I hammered the bushings, washer, and seal in simultaneously. It's what the manual said to do. That's probably why it didn't work so well.

PVC plumbing pipe also works well, and is soft so it doesn't damage the seals!

It helps that you have the motion down pat.

:goofy:

Did you take the cartridge apart and pump the oil out of it?

It helps that you have the motion down pat.

:goofy:

Did you take the cartridge apart and pump the oil out of it?

(master stroker icon)

I'm not usually that ruff! :491:

No, just pumped some cleaner thru them. Maybe next time! :blush:

• Member Contributer

Just curious...what weight fork oil are You usin', and are the cartridges stock in the VFR...???.....THANKS...Great "Play-by-Play" by the way.. :fing02:

Just curious...what weight fork oil are You usin', and are the cartridges stock in the VFR...???.....THANKS...Great "Play-by-Play" by the way.. :fing02:

Knowing bailey, probably a "special" blend of vegetable and olive. :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

Knowing bailey, probably a "special" blend of vegetable and olive. :laughing6-hehe:

I need the ratio of the vegetable to the olive, and was wonderin' if He adds any Peanut Oil.....sure felt like it the last time I rode His VFR..... :laughing6-hehe:

• 3 years later...
  • Member Contributer

Thanks for this write up. Between this and a couple of YouTube videos I was able to install new seals and oil, and raise the tubes in the triples. Wow, what a difference!