BR's Vtec Oil Change

Baileyrock

I have been doing oil changes on my vtec by simply removing the lower mounting bolts on the left lower fairing and sliding my hand in there to remove the oil filter, but while I was looking around I came to the conclusion that it looked like an oil change could be done w/o removing anything except the drain plug and oil filter.

Here is what I did.

The tools needed were a filter wrench(socket type) and several length extensions, 3/8" ratchet and drain plug socket & drain pan.

post-301-099133900 1288054192_thumb.jpg

After draining the oil, I fished the filter socket in place through the opening in the front V-fairing.

post-301-052866400 1288054525_thumb.jpg

post-301-008944400 1288054292_thumb.jpg

Once on the filter I tapped it on with the extension and placed the extension in the filter wrench.

post-301-029063100 1288054376_thumb.jpg

I simply unscrewed the filter, reached in(pulling/bending PVC cowl as needed) and pulled the filter out the front.

post-301-023756800 1288054496_thumb.jpg

now I just reversed the operation and installed a new filter

post-301-039074900 1288054646_thumb.jpg

used brake parts cleaner to spray off headers, added oil and I was done! :fing02:

BR's method 355 :biggrin:

Haha... I'm not brave enough for this one.

I got a bag of 100 little clips and have the fairing-removal exercise down to about 5 minutes... That's my technique. :biggrin:

:fing02:

Sounds good! :biggrin:

I tried to do it that way but I like my engine scortching hot when I change the oil for quick and maximum oil drainage, so no dice for me. Great write up and pics though, totally useable meathod for those who don't change it hot.

I tried to do it that way but I like my engine scortching hot when I change the oil for quick and maximum oil drainage, so no dice for me. Great write up and pics though, totally useable meathod for those who don't change it hot.

Yeah, I usually prefer a warm engine oil change myself. I guess gloves could be used? :blush:

You must be a dwarf. AIN'T no way my big mitts will fit in there.

I'm 6', 190 lbs and wear Lager size gloves, but my hands are lean! :biggrin:

Get your wife to help! :fing02:

My wife gettin' her hands dirty! You must be dreamin'! LOL I'll remove the panels. I'm tired of gettin' my hands scraped up anyways. I get enough of that at work. :blink:

• Member Contributer

BaileyRock , ive been doing the oil changes on my 04 this way sense i bought it new in 04

:biggrin:

I knew I wasn't the only lazy SOB out there! :goofy:

Can't wait to see the valve check w/o removing the covers thread :laughing6-hehe:

Oh, wait, BR doesn't do valves :biggrin:

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Nice to know that one could do it this way.

Since I change my oil once a year, I use this opportunity to check the coolant level and inspect them pesky electrical plugs.

I may even wipe some crap off with a rag if I'm feeling particularly adventurous.:491:

• Member Contributer

BaileyRock , ive been doing the oil changes on my 04 this way sense i bought it new in 04

:biggrin:

I knew I wasn't the only lazy SOB out there! :goofy:

No You're not... :biggrin: ...I never took a single piece of Body Work off either of my 6th Gens to ever do an oil change....."and".....I took step by step Pics, including the needed Tools, and posted it "TWICE".....if You weren't a Lazy SOB like me, You woulda' Pinned one of em' at the time..... :laughing6-hehe: :laughing6-hehe: :laughing6-hehe:

Oh Yeah, GOOD JOB........ :biggrin: :fing02:

Guest Psychobabble

I got a bag of 100 little clips and have the fairing-removal exercise down to about 5 minutes... That's my technique. :biggrin:

lol, I've given up on the clips at the bottom of the fairings and just run a long zip tie through, connecting the two of them. Learned this from back when my RC51 would loose them or I'd break them while removing the fairings.

• 4 months later...

Same here. Also the rad reserve can be checked. I have had the fairings off so many times it takes less than 5 minutes for both sides. The oil is meant to drain on the kickstand and then I put it on the c-stand. I also warm the engine up to 150F.

Where did you get a bag of 100 clips.

• Member Contributer

Same here. Also the rad reserve can be checked. I have had the fairings off so many times it takes less than 5 minutes for both sides. The oil is meant to drain on the kickstand and then I put it on the c-stand. I also warm the engine up to 150F.

Where did you get a bag of 100 clips.

I didn't know about draining the oil on the kickstand...damn I thought I knew everything! Just kidding of course...thanks for the tip!