How to remove power limitations 1st and 2nd gear

Dutchgixxer

Albeit I want this mod with a passion and dont like being told by anyone let alone Honda how much power I am trusted with, I havnt read here from anyone who has done the mod how good it is, is the power difference enough to make the bike wheelie in first gear off the throttle is the gain in 2nd gear really noticable

I really dont want to start chopping the loom and risk the warrenty issues if the cons outway the pros if you see what I mean

I didnt want to wait for the Bazzaz harness which would be like 40 bucks since all the cuts can be done on the GPS harness and not the main harness. I figure at worst case scenario and I have a warranty issue i can replace the GPS for 65 bucks or so and get it back to factory. I shoulda did this mod sooner. Its that good.

Albeit I want this mod with a passion and dont like being told by anyone let alone Honda how much power I am trusted with, I havnt read here from anyone who has done the mod how good it is, is the power difference enough to make the bike wheelie in first gear off the throttle is the gain in 2nd gear really noticable

I really dont want to start chopping the loom and risk the warrenty issues if the cons outway the pros if you see what I mean

I didnt want to wait for the Bazzaz harness which would be like 40 bucks since all the cuts can be done on the GPS harness and not the main harness. I figure at worst case scenario and I have a warranty issue i can replace the GPS for 65 bucks or so and get it back to factory. I shoulda did this mod sooner. Its that good.

My dealer told me de ECU reprogramming or ECU upgrade is a hoax. Honda did not inform him about a upgrade. For now a PC-v and the 1st and 2nd gear derestriction will cure a lot :)

My dealer told me de ECU reprogramming or ECU upgrade is a hoax. Honda did not inform him about a upgrade. For now a PC-v and the 1st and 2nd gear derestriction will cure a lot :)

Reprogramming ECU is scheduled next week for my VFR. :)

In france, dealers are informed about this update.

I expect an improvement in low speed.

Reprogramming ECU is scheduled next week for my VFR. :)

In france, dealers are informed about this update.

I expect an improvement in low speed.

Thanks for your information. Keep us informed ! :fing02:

It's very simple, give me a recent bike with a correct torque and less than 100 HP... :)

you can ask too: Why you would buy a 100+ bike if there are strict speed limits? :biggrin:

Of course, that's not allowed, but there is always a way to retrieve the full HP on French bike.

For the moment, restricted power mode on this bike is enough for me , may be my opinion will change in few month.

I hope that this french particularity will be removed in few years.

• Member Contributer
Who can provide me 2 pair of Gear Position Sensor plugs. 2 male and 2 female plugs. I Will send you a wiring harness back with switch-able 1st and 2nd gear de restriction abillity .

post-20539-0-68703100-1294081161_thumb.j

post-20539-0-53420200-1294081126_thumb.j

It is a 8 pole connector with 7 poles used.

This looks like a connector I have on my acura. Will get back to you

Guest fasterspider

Plug & play de-restricting mod with no cutting and easy to return to stock protecting my extended warranty that has already gotten me a free new $1,115.91 ECU once that can now make my VFR1200F bring my front wheel up in 1st gear throttle only is how I want to play the game.

My VFR can and does do power wheelies in 1st gear now with the new ECU but, I have to crack the throttle @ 4000rpm to get that wheel to elevate and she comes up to about a foot off the ground too, did a nice one yesterday on my way up to GMR.

• Member Contributer

My VFR can and does do power wheelies in 1st gear now with the new ECU but, I have to crack the throttle @ 4000rpm to get that wheel to elevate and she comes up to about a foot off the ground too, did a nice one yesterday on my way up to GMR.

:worthlesswithoutpics:

:tour: :tour: :tour:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest fasterspider

I don't know how to get an image of my bike doing a power wheelie but, I may be able to get my buddy to get a video of my doing one.

I found out for real that my VFR1200F most definately does stop going faster at 157mph when a limiter of some kind comes on and stops her from accelerating.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest doubleU

I am about to buy a 011 VFR and have been reading about all this 1st/2nd gear, or 2000 - 4000 rpm power drop off, can see it clearly in any dyno charts too.

I guess maybe I'm too simplistic here but wouldn't an aftermarket pipe and power commander fuel remapping solve most all of this?

Also, anyone with any experience with "DAM" slip on's out of the Netherlands (damexhaust.com)? Great looking and sounding exhaust. Not sure if it's a language barrier thing but can't get a straight answer if exhaust needs fuel remapping, I would think it does.

• Member Contributer

Hello W,

Never heard of dam :tongue: ; btw Dam is Belgian, not Dutch :tour:

If you are seriously considering one, I could drop them an email.

I guess maybe I'm too simplistic here but wouldn't an aftermarket pipe and power commander fuel remapping solve most all of this?

No. The restriction is presumably a timing retardation. A power commander only alters air/fuel ratio, not ignition timing.

I've suspected that the restriction could be a clipped throttle map, rather than an ignition map. And if that were the case, the same would be true.... a power commander would have no effect.

• Member Contributer

No. The restriction is presumably a timing retardation. A power commander only alters air/fuel ratio, not ignition timing.

I've suspected that the restriction could be a clipped throttle map, rather than an ignition map. And if that were the case, the same would be true.... a power commander would have no effect.

True that, the VFR is now throttle by wire so crippling the power is a rather simple matter of restricting the throttle in a controlled manner. I wonder how Bazazz claims to get around this unless they've figured out how to remap the throttle control, that's a lot more involved than simply intercepting and modifying the fuel injector controls as does Power Commander. Altering the fuel-air ratio or ignition timing simply cannot compensate for a closed throttle.

I am about to buy a 011 VFR and have been reading about all this 1st/2nd gear, or 2000 - 4000 rpm power drop off, can see it clearly in any dyno charts too.

Also, anyone with any experience with "DAM" slip on's out of the Netherlands (damexhaust.com)? Great looking and sounding exhaust. Not sure if it's a language barrier thing but can't get a straight answer if exhaust needs fuel remapping, I would think it does.

I have the DAM slip on, great sound and good looking :smile:

post-21248-0-24641100-1322333426.jpg

I will not get rid of the 1st/2nd gear power drop off, this is ECU s/w made by Honda :sad:

I did not do a fuel remapping, bike drives nice with this slip on. Even better then with the original. (and great sound)

Dam just received CE approvement.

I also have the DAM exhaust, and the PCV. I did them both at the same time, and used both the Jardine and 2 Bros PCV maps. A few weeks ago I got a DAM PCV map sent to me by someone on the forums. I loaded it yesterday. Haven't tested it yet, but will during the week. I love the DAM exhaust. Looks just right for the bike, and sounds fantastic, especially the popping on the overrun. I did the Snowy Ride down here recently, so when I have cleaned the bike, I will post some pictures.

Cheers

Seddo

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I saw this posted on another forum (guy called tin-tin). It sounds like a great idea given that no one can get their hands on the 8 pin Honda connector. What do you think?

"I know that the 8 pin gps connector is hard to find but the pins in the harness cant be too special I would think. has anyone ever just done the conversion at the pin level with a couple of extra 3 pin connectors that take the same pin size as the OEM 8 pin and just make a separate 3 pin jumper harness. I didnt do it this way because I dont have an extended warranty but I would think this would work. I guess if I have to take it back for warranty in the couple months i have left, I would probably just cut all the wires for the gps harness and repin the connector. I doubt anyone would notice that the harness was half an inch shorter. I dont know. just kind of brainstorming."

This topic is about derestriced 1st and 2nd gear. Not about exhausts. So mod ......................

Well, I spoke with the Corporate Honda guys at the motorcycle show yesterday; the 2012 fuel map has changed to take out the bog, because it has traction control to make up for it.

..and it's gonna be Blue.