How to remove power limitations 1st and 2nd gear

Dutchgixxer

• Member Contributer

Awesome photos Larry!

What program is this for rear suspension analysis?

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

Do you know Brian Sharp at Boulder Motorsports? I'm a former Duc owner...

I attended a $200 2 day Tony Foale seminar and that program was one of the benefits...

http://www.tonyfoale.com/

The name Brian Sharp doesn't not ring a bell...

OK, waiting for the final version of the plug and play derestrictor for the Viffer 1200...

Mine is ready and working. It is not PnP but is works. its switchable so for me it is not a problem that the gear indicator gives false reading in 1 st and 2nd gear.

The bike wheelies off the throttle in 1st :)

Edited by Dutchgixxer

I don't think Bazzaz has any intentions of doing VFR1200 stuff, and if you can plug and play with correct gear indication, you can market this product. Maybe Powercommander/Dynojet will do something like this in the future. In the mean time, the market is waiting IMO.

Mine is ready and working. It is not PnP but is works. its switchable so for me it is not a problem that the gear indicator gives false reading in 1 st and 2nd gear.

The bike wheelies off the throttle in 1st :)

Any updates on this? I'm a structural engineer, but not too electrically inclined. And would prefer a plug and play w/o splicng any wires. Like the O2 manipulators I used on my Ducati.

You could remove them in the future if you needed to. Someone could make some money on this idea before Dynojet gets around to it.

On the CBR1000, do you mean the timing retarder eliminator? My 08 CBR1000 had the redline area of the rpm timing restriction that cut 6 hp. So powercommander TRE plug and play

added back 6 hp on top end.

Any updates on this? I'm a structural engineer, but not too electrically inclined. And would prefer a plug and play w/o splicng any wires. Like the O2 manipulators I used on my Ducati.

You could remove them in the future if you needed to. Someone could make some money on this idea before Dynojet gets around to it.

On the CBR1000, do you mean the timing retarder eliminator? My 08 CBR1000 had the redline area of the rpm timing restriction that cut 6 hp. So powercommander TRE plug and play

added back 6 hp on top end.

Supply me the right connectors. I will make you a wireing harness.

Edited by Dutchgixxer

Larry, Phobe, any way to get the correct connectors?

Thanks

I have just been out on the 1200. Made the first 70 km on the VFR in 2011. Roads where dry so i could play a little with the bike. The derestriction works fabulous. The hessitation in 1st and 2 nd gear below 5000 rpm is completely gone. The sudden torque increase if the revs rise is not feelable any more. Its a better mod than putting a Akra on the VFR. Costs of this mod $7. Espesially fore mountain roads riding ( i use the low rev range a lot comming out of tight bends) this mod is very adviseable.

I have also experienced the quality of the öhlins rear shock. What a difference. Its more comftable but better damped. I have to tune it futher. But i need warm tarmac for that :cool:

If anyone finds a source for these plugs, and would like one built, I would be willing for the stateside guys...but I don't have a source for the plug, and the picture given is not very legible unfortunately. Nice work tho!

Guest VFRider

I'd Luv to have a true plug and play piece of apparatus to rid the bike of this dumbed down mode!!

If you have a true interest, please post up, so perhaps we can see this come to fruition....

It would be most awesome :fing02:

Guest VFRider

Giving this some additional thought, whoever makes these ECU connectors for Honda isnt about to give us a few..

As far as these being replicated on the aftermarket..I just don't think so..... with that being said, I fear the only way

to do this would be to cut wires...

After speaking with Dynojet this afternoon, the connection they are gonna use, is behind the fuel tank, not that

they would part with anything even so... or would their vendor

So It really looks like a snip to cure the dip might be the only way!

Giving this some additional thought, whoever makes these ECU connectors for Honda isnt about to give us a few..

As far as these being replicated on the aftermarket..I just don't think so..... with that being said, I fear the only way

After speaking with Dynojet this afternoon, the connection they are gonna use, is behind the fuel tank, not that

So, with the snip method, does the gear indicator say 3 in 1st 2nd and 3rd gear?

So, with the snip method, does the gear indicator say 3 in 1st 2nd and 3rd gear?

Yes you are right. The ecm is fooled to derestricd 1 st and 2nd gear. The ECU thinks the 3 rd gear is used while it gearbox is in 1st or 2nd. It works perfectly and its a simple mod.

1st gear = 3rd

neutral = neutral

2nd = 3rd

3rd = 3rd

4 th = 4th

5th = 5th

6th = 6th

If you do not like wheelies you can decide to leave the 1st gear as it is. :biggrin:

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Ralfralf

I'd Luv to have a true plug and play piece of apparatus to rid the bike of this dumbed down mode!!

If you have a true interest, please post up, so perhaps we can see this come to fruition....

Hi VFRRider,

I am also interseted in a true plug and play connector. Maybe it is possible to get one through the Honda dealer (without cable harness).

Ralf.

Hi VFRRider,

I am also interseted in a true plug and play connector. Maybe it is possible to get one through the Honda dealer (without cable harness).

Ralf.

Honda is not going to help you! Honda has decided to restrict. They will not help to derestrict

Edited by Dutchgixxer

• Member Contributer

News Flash

Honda dealers worldwide report vadalism to their VFR1200 on the showroom floor.

It appears that cable end are cut to remove a plug.

This mystery baffles Honda HQ.

Investigation continue.....

:laughing6-hehe:

News Flash

• Member Contributer

News Flash

So who's been a naughty boy!!! :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

Sadly, nothing for the DCT :sad:

Got this from another site. The author is a Honda Mechanic.

"the thing is like this...

you wont derestrict it as it is not restricted in anyway. The clutches are programed to ingage softly at a rate that the gear change is hapening much quicker than any person can do on a regular gearbox. Meaning that if the 1st and 2nd were restricted the clutch engage rate should be diferent for those two gears...but it isnt ;) .

All together it is a complicated system that you dont want to mess with with any resistor plugs or symilar...

Trust me when i say...leave it alone.

So lets get to the speed limitation...

again it is in the ECU and it is there because bikes cyclistics are not up to the higher speeds than the 250 km/h she is doing now (and Honda dont wants that somebody gets killed at that speed as the bike could be unstable ower 250 km/h).

Alltogether it is a triple secured system and it is impossible to change it without interfering in the ECU (only Honda can do that in the factory, but they wont) and fooling around with some blind plugs or resistor plugs for the wire loom conections will throw a fault light on your dashboard and you will be able to engage the 1st or 2nd gear only (sort of a limp mode to help you get to the nearest Honda service if something goes bad on the trip).

And then you wil need help of course (to get that gearbox back in neutral and get you going again).

Bottom line...dont touch anything on the bike...do not disconect any sensors, cable conectors or unknown switches as it will triger the fault light and it will record the faults in the ECU unit."

I think its safe to say that this applies only to the DCT bike. Means my dream is up in smoke! :angry:

Sadly, nothing for the DCT :sad:

Got this from another site. The author is a Honda Mechanic.

"the thing is like this...

you wont derestrict it as it is not restricted in anyway. The clutches are programed to ingage softly at a rate that the gear change is hapening much quicker than any person can do on a regular gearbox. Meaning that if the 1st and 2nd were restricted the clutch engage rate should be diferent for those two gears...but it isnt ;) .

All together it is a complicated system that you dont want to mess with with any resistor plugs or symilar...

Trust me when i say...leave it alone.

So lets get to the speed limitation...

again it is in the ECU and it is there because bikes cyclistics are not up to the higher speeds than the 250 km/h she is doing now (and Honda dont wants that somebody gets killed at that speed as the bike could be unstable ower 250 km/h).

Alltogether it is a triple secured system and it is impossible to change it without interfering in the ECU (only Honda can do that in the factory, but they wont) and fooling around with some blind plugs or resistor plugs for the wire loom conections will throw a fault light on your dashboard and you will be able to engage the 1st or 2nd gear only (sort of a limp mode to help you get to the nearest Honda service if something goes bad on the trip).

And then you wil need help of course (to get that gearbox back in neutral and get you going again).

Bottom line...dont touch anything on the bike...do not disconect any sensors, cable conectors or unknown switches as it will triger the fault light and it will record the faults in the ECU unit."

I think its safe to say that this applies only to the DCT bike. Means my dream is up in smoke! :angry:

For the DCT the only mod possible is the speed derestriction mod. I you tell the ecu that the speed is 250 km/h while riding faster there is no error generated.

For the manual clutch type all the mods are easy with no errors generated. No restistors are needed.

I am no Honda technichan but an electrical engineer.

• Member Contributer

For the DCT the only mod possible is the speed derestriction mod. I you tell the ecu that the speed is 250 km/h while riding faster there is no error generated.

Great!

The problem I see is that the ECU also uses the speed to determine gear change. The challenge will be to build some circuit that will allow the speed signal to get to the ECU at lower speeds (so that gear changes can occur) and cut the signal at high speeds so that the restriction is lifted (since the bike would already be in high gear). A "high speed" switch might do the trick but right now I can even find the wire (still looking for the wiring diagram)

An alternative will be to switch to manual mode when this switch is flipped. In manual mode, the ECU doesn't need to know the speed (since rider is changing gears himself)........but then another problem, ho do you prevent the engine from stalling? OR not. Since there is no speed, ECU might not engage next gear change (even though you gave the signal from the paddle).

So many unknowns!!!

Search continues!

Great!

The problem I see is that the ECU also uses the speed to determine gear change. The challenge will be to build some circuit that will allow the speed signal to get to the ECU at lower speeds (so that gear changes can occur) and cut the signal at high speeds so that the restriction is lifted (since the bike would already be in high gear). A "high speed" switch might do the trick but right now I can even find the wire (still looking for the wiring diagram)

An alternative will be to switch to manual mode when this switch is flipped. In manual mode, the ECU doesn't need to know the speed (since rider is changing gears himself)........but then another problem, ho do you prevent the engine from stalling? OR not. Since there is no speed, ECU might not engage next gear change (even though you gave the signal from the paddle).

So many unknowns!!!

Search continues!

On the ABS modulator is a signal available VSP out. VSP goes to indicator panel and to the ecu.

Interfere in the wire to the ECU. Make a frequency compartor If VSP > 250 km/h then set frequency to ecu at 250 km/h [hz]. Pb me for the calculations.

Edited by Dutchgixxer