How to remove power limitations 1st and 2nd gear

Dutchgixxer

• Member Contributer

I just want to quote the Sargeant from Stripes, my favoritest big toe and best buddy, and say "Lighten up Francis"'es...

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, CandyRedRC46 said:

Its is pretty widely accepted that the optimal engine operating temperature for safely making maximum power is around 185-195.

The cooler that you make the the engine (to a certain point), the more aggressive you can tune the fuel and ignition maps, with out worrying about causing detonation.

A 225F engine will suffer preignition with less timing advance on the same octane fuel, than an engine operating at 190F.

The more timing advance that you can safely run (to a certain degree), the more power you can make.

There are down falls to lowering the engine operating temperatures though (which I am sure honda took into consideration).

An engine operating at a higher temperature will allow the fuel to vaporize and combust more readily (which is also why it detonates more easily too)

If the fuel burns more easily, you have cleaner emissions and better MPG, with a more mild tuning.

Also the oil temperature should be over 220F to ensure that all condensation is burnt off.

So basically engine temperature is a compromise.

A 225F engine will need a more conservative tune and make less power, but it will be cleaner, more efficient and have longer oil life.

A 190F engine CAN be tuned more aggressively, to make more power, but it will have dirtier emissions and need more frequent oil changes.

It was my intention to also not have the fan temp setting changed.  I guess Don will second guess me as well.  I ride much of the year in hot temps, prefer not to have the fan constantly running.

Not sure if I did the right thing or not leaving the fan temp stock.  All I know is I had a manually operated fan switch on my blackbird and destroyed my CHARGING SYSTEM:goofy: at 13K.  Mostly because I forgot to turn it off a lot but still left a bad taste in my mouth. 

I had Ivan lower the fen temp in my ZX14, didn't seem to make a difference that thing was a furnace.  I thought I'd trust Honda and their settings on this bike. It's not like heat is an issue anyway.

23 hours ago, CandyRedRC46 said:

For a while it sounded as though you were trying to say that the VFR1200 had an automotive style alternator where all the components are housed all in one single unit.

This wording really makes no sense and would otherwise introduce major confusion to someone seeing this for the first time and attempting to understand the theory of these systems.

For unresolved definitions we must submit to an authority.  

Merriam Webster's:

alternator: a device that produces electricity (as in the engine of a vehicle) : a generator that produces    

alternating current

generator: something that produces something; especially : a machine that produces electricity

stator:  a stationary part in a machine in or about which a rotor revolves

Reference.com: A motorcycle stator is the stationary part of the alternator. 

All indications from any authority or technical article that I am able to find, such as:

http://www.electrosport.com/technical-resources/technical-articles/motorcycle-stators

indicate that the system in the motorcycle that produces the electricity, is in fact an alternator.

Pretty cut and dry. Just a google away...?

2 hours ago, CandyRedRC46 said:

:beatdeadhorse::beatdeadhorse::beatdeadhorse::beatdeadhorse:

Do I have a browser problem or are there are lot of posts that were there all of a sudden missing? Is this site going to crash again? Man I hope not!

I went back to analyze the criticism (directed at me?) of beating a dead horse. The entire context of the conversation seems to be wiped out.  So if someone did resolve this and I missed it, I apologize profusely. I do not want to be a "bad participant."

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I am thinking of having my VFR1200FD ECU flashed. I do not like the thought of sending to USA. A firm in Netherlands, Carmo BV offers flashes, not cheap but much easier to get the ECU to them. Does anyone have any knowledge of this firms work please?

• Member Contributer

A couple of years ago a member on the vfroc.nl forum had an awful experience with Carmo. This was shortly after the vfr1200 came onto the market. Bottom line they failed to do the work and returned the ECU with holes drilled in the casing (afaik)

Maybe they now, years later, are able to do a good job...

• 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • Member Contributer
On 8/24/2019 at 11:35 AM, sabsteef22 said:

Hi,

if you are looking for an ECU update 1200F or 1200X i can help. I can tune. ore remove the restriction of the ECU without opening the ECU.

in the Netherlands area. 

regards,

Sabsteef

Has anyone on the forum used this guy?

I've seen some customers on his Facebook page but as I don't trust FB at all, I'd rather read rec's from members on here.

5 hours ago, Skids said:

Has anyone on the forum used this guy?

I've seen some customers on his Facebook page but as I don't trust FB at all, I'd rather read rec's from members on here.

He did my VFR1200F (2012). Steef knows what he's doing, saves your original firmware just in case. I had my 1st/2nd gear restrictions removed, as well as max speed and revs. Low speed handling is much smoother.
You could achieve roughly the same with a Z-Bomb and a PC-V, but that's much more expensive and you loose 1st/2nd gear indicator.

• Thanks 1

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, heinrichnak said:

He did my VFR1200F (2012). Steef knows what he's doing, saves your original firmware just in case. I had my 1st/2nd gear restrictions removed, as well as max speed and revs. Low speed handling is much smoother.
You could achieve roughly the same with a Z-Bomb and a PC-V, but that's much more expensive and you loose 1st/2nd gear indicator.

Thanks. :beer:

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer
15 hours ago, VegasRules said:

Does anyone know if a reflash can still be done on the DCT model and if so, who does them?

I'm not sure if the DCT can be remotely flashed, but Stefan can remote flash the 1200F ECU so may be worth contacting him on FB.

Sabsteef Honda ECU tuning - Home | Facebook

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/25/2022 at 4:14 AM, VegasRules said:

What did your friend think of the result on his DCT?

Stefan did my VFR with DCT. Work much more better right now. No restrictions on the 1,2 gears, smoother ride on low revs. I recommend.  Reflash was done remotely via internet and team viewer.

0onytoHT-cX-QGEGbPcQFKThSL40clB6CMR-oj6cuCWRGz7doGiymhptdv9rO5YB_WaevFCqcrnUuRhx7fdrRiI1hobNNPcQ-ulHlbcYfeFcx_9OhNeQ9wg9mXcKLyjGmlscCf1DPtbCbdfCvhRdwpFqZ4jiK4lO2EiXoN-bKjVVp8UUOisR_nDcri0yK-mTX9kLXXz4zdu2qteQigL6dcpZavNlb7HyzIJScQT4kyx3mVviu2BgPIfX54mdES6-ZlSDtLmB2QLjyJQLkOr7QVxsqqUbbEDUrPIlpIN4WX0_4eNrGeDNOB4LK-N3FNPZorEYACZh0NcDYghdeq3esi-lGz0FmADgaJ1nFZZJoYob16y8ehsJ1PbJanB08SbxaxMxsFFgJjS5kpGpVMIFEL0DEah8ZjfTkOrbuiDFlHTGxmrOKjDN4o6f6WUD0-5jPuKv7z0NbBPG3PbK6etKEafeB0cEI0Tx6cMRlBR7ZUss5-IOBFetZrgDF5I9g6ITBEnkSTbCwwd3JklHDpmJ32TmbAYMRQ74yMCU-IydJaexC5dHkgmCgd93vkWkr1FHiVLet6zVW5ex1VAcpNK-0Kms3HwT__ZoKhKgfrycz6Nvmo3eBQk9qoq6e3Q6ktZWTQQCICflFeUhdZpfEX3r0245ECdeSk7zITdWs7BAqsxN9upHg1n5OZssxJRSjflpp-l-K1gn8DVJWi9mYhjeQX65aukSNcDy6ZPXIxnDT6PNN7SL3fr-AmPVUKZR=w1215-h912-no?authuser=0

• 11 months later...
On 5/24/2022 at 3:49 PM, antek said:

Stefan did my VFR with DCT. Work much more better right now. No restrictions on the 1,2 gears, smoother ride on low revs. I recommend.  Reflash was done remotely via internet and team viewer.

It looks like in order to do the remote flash you also need to buy a cable. Is it some special cable that I can only get from Stefan or i can get it somewhere else for cheap? The reason i'm asking is because it's pushing $90 if buying from Stefan.

• Member Contributer

It's a basic USB/serial to TTL converter cable. Can build your own with instructions here: https://github.com/AlexKovalevich/HondaECU

Heck once you've reached that site, you might as well download all the software to edit maps and flash them to ECU yourself. He's got stock and modified .BIN files for download with 1st/2nd gear restrictions removed.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DannoXYZ said:

It's a basic USB/serial to TTL converter cable. Can build your own with instructions here: https://github.com/AlexKovalevich/HondaECU

Heck once you've reached that site, you might as well download all the software to edit maps and flash them to ECU yourself. He's got stock and modified .BIN files for download with 1st/2nd gear restrictions removed.

Ha, i see, definitely not basic for me 🙂 Thanks, that answers my question 🙂

• Member Contributer

Ok, you can get generic conveter cable and attach proper Honda DLC connector:

https://www.amazon.com/Serial-Adapter-Signal-Prolific-Windows/dp/B07R8BQYW1/

https://www.corsa-technic.com/item.php?item_id=341&category_id=54

Pin-outs

-Black/white > +12V
-Orange/White > K-line
-Brown > SCS can jumper to flash error codes
-Green > ground

The ECU does not speak OBD2 language, but much, much older analogue serial K-line protocol. Similar to modem AT commands for those familiar with dial-up modems. Downloading flash image .BIN file takes 15-minutes @110 baud !!! 😛

14FAB3FA-FA68-4CBB-8344-FCDC3F75D518.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/28/2023 at 9:39 AM, DannoXYZ said:

Ok, you can get generic conveter cable and attach proper Honda DLC connector:

https://www.amazon.com/Serial-Adapter-Signal-Prolific-Windows/dp/B07R8BQYW1/

https://www.corsa-technic.com/item.php?item_id=341&category_id=54

Pin-outs

-Black/white > +12V
-Orange/White > K-line
-Brown > SCS can jumper to flash error codes
-Green > ground

The ECU does not speak OBD2 language, but much, much older analogue serial K-line protocol. Similar to modem AT commands for those familiar with dial-up modems. Downloading flash image .BIN file takes 15-minutes @110 baud !!! 😛

14FAB3FA-FA68-4CBB-8344-FCDC3F75D518.jpeg

Awesome, thanks a lot. Will get cable from amazon.ca and connector from aliexpress and see what happens 🙂