O.K. Let's see what the reaction is from an owner's club....(High Mods inside)

Guest shaneliberty

Guest shaneliberty

An overall suggestion: Unless you're already a Honda or VFR guy and are aware of Honda's assorted chronic electrical ( or other) gremlins, you might want to carefully review some of the threads in the electrical (or other) sections and eliminate those problems while the bike is in a zilion pieces.

That subframe weldment photo of yours that shows the big white 3-wire stator/RR connector got me to thinking about this. You DO know about the big white 3-wire connector meltdown problems, don't you? :pissed: Maybe some folks will chime in with other common problems for this generation VFR.

Anyway, good luck with your clever project. :cool:

If you're talking about the stator wires for the regulator rectifier, this bike already has the newer model rectifier with heat sink. I also have 3 other stators in my garage just in case I f**k something up. I have "Trimmed" most of the unnecessary components to the harness that I no longer need in order to get everything to fit in and around the frame. I am going to take pics of how it sits currently as the harness is tied up and everything is ALMOST where I want it. I still have to run the other oil cooler and new lines, move a switch I made for cancelling the thermo switch (Plan to click the fan on rather than let the sensor do it). and a few odds and ends up front.

And yes. It's very clever. lol

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest shaneliberty

I am going to use the Fiberglassing skills I have picked up to make a panel that will cover the gap just under the tank and I will extend the panel over the mounting point for the subframe. This is a carb model so there is a lot less wiring and sensors to hide. I have a Buell XB12R Oil cooler that I will be mounting to replace the long stock oil cooler. I will side mount the cooler and maintain it's stock air scoop that allows you to mount the cooler on edge and have air pulled over it. I did away with the Keyed Ignition and will soon do away with a bar mounted switch now that I installed one of our Cycle Pirates Race Throttles. I no longer require the left control housing. I will mount an oldschool push button ignition switch elsewhere on the frame.

All of the wiring from the tail will fit in the new subframe with a heat shield to protect it. The smaller battery will fit under the passenger seat and any remaining wiring is already under the tank in front of the airbox as the Snorkel has been removed, leaving a lot of space. I even have the fuse box facing out to the right so I can easily retrieve it to swap a fuse without lifting the tank should I pop one from fooling with the wiring.

Thank you again guys for looking at this without flaming the post. This is the ONLY other forum I have found where fellow riders haven't just jumped in to trash talk for no good reason. I greatly appreciate the feedback. Even asking logical questions about the build is a help as it may remind me to tie off something or correct a design mistake.

Cool..

you have pulled off the bit that i am still considering to move further with my build... Your exhaust that pulls from right to the under seat left. Will your join clean up like your nice shiny headers?

Also like your welding to fit rear sub frame, i did the same but with billet.

for the gap from the tank to the rear i now have Ducati 916 air box covers in carbon.. saves a lot of glassing up and with a little simple trimming they will look spot on!

Post up more pick of how yours looks at the moment....would be nice for me to see how the exhaust looks in situe. I was going to run just one can under the seat on the right side, but my fabricator was scratching his head too much and talking money. Said i should just think about it a bit more for now...... :fing02:

bike at the track over this past year

such silly high res you can see the carbon weave...

And below, the carbon air box cover(here still on the duke i got them off) to finish that hole under the VFR tank. Just needs a trim to fit the VFR. Carbon is excellent and very easy to work with.

Also have the oil tray for underneath to add when i get five mins.

I just dont have the joint similar to yours from the 2bros headers to the under seat end can i have stashed in the cupboard.

Bring on the exhaust bending...

Look forward to see yours done....

Nice bike and great ideas! I am powder coating the frame once I am finished and I didn't see any point in going with higher grade material for the tiny patch work needed to fit the subframe. The guys at the drift shop next door already had the loose tubing so it got welded up quick.

As for the exhaust question, the midpipe is getting wrapped up to the cans. I am going to grind down all the excess weld from the tabs and brackets that have been deleted from the stock stuff (The mid used to have several braces welded on to hold the other head pipe) and wrap it to keep the heat off the electrical and my arse.

Guest shaneliberty

Alright so after realizing the stock cans were too quiet we modified the cans and removed the CATS and the dividers in the center of the can that seem to break up the rumble the exhaust note. The end result is this video. Keep in mind this is a camera first and video camera second. The audio recorder is crap:

Yes, I removed the rear brake because I decided to ditch it all together. Sue me. :goofy:

Well, if you decide to leave that off the bike, then myself or someone I have in mind could make use of it. Shoot me a PM if you think you'll be getting rid of it.

Guest shaneliberty

Yes, I removed the rear brake because I decided to ditch it all together. Sue me. :goofy:

Well, if you decide to leave that off the bike, then myself or someone I have in mind could make use of it. Shoot me a PM if you think you'll be getting rid of it.

Fair enough SEB. I am happy to give you a smoking deal. Do you need the rotor and master as well? Shoot me a fair price.

Guest shaneliberty

ZOINX!!!!!!!

At first I thought the front fender was painted in black and white....... then I saw that cool rear wheel in black and red and immediately thought the following:

1) Got Milk? :huh:

2) Got Blood? :491:

3) Wow! A Vampire who rides a VFR and tries to stay healthy!! :laughing6-hehe:

Greg :fing02:

If that was a shot at being clever.... try again. And keep in mind. Paint is one of the last steps in any build.

• Member Contributer

Looking good so far! Noticed your CF sticker.........I'm over there as well! My buddy Rob had a VFR swinger on his FZR (mine was the one next to his in the pic)......I've built quite a few of 'em. Good little bikes.

That's all good but where did those cool helmets come from :fing02: BTW, welcome to the forum, Shane

380722380.jpg

That's all good but where did those cool helmets come from :fing02: BTW, welcome to the forum, Shane

Mine I've had since '04, it's a Shoei RF-1000 Miguel Duhamel replica, the black one. Rob's I'd have to ask him. He lives in your neck of the woods though, up in Lawrenceville. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Mine I've had since '04, it's a Shoei RF-1000 Miguel Duhamel replica, the black one. Rob's I'd have to ask him. He lives in your neck of the woods though, up in Lawrenceville. :fing02:

The second is a KBC 'Gun duo' in red, Carbon Kevlar..... they have been out for about 2-3 years, selling for around £80 now, although i did get about £140 when first out.... I have been selling them in my shop for some time now.....

• Member Contributer

I always love to see someone take a bike and really make it their own. Who wants to be the same right? BIG :beer: for you for all your hard work. Love the pics!!!

• Member Contributer

Alright so after realizing the stock cans were too quiet we modified the cans and removed the CATS and the dividers in the center of the can that seem to break up the rumble the exhaust note. The end result is this video. Keep in mind this is a camera first and video camera second. The audio recorder is crap:

Oh man, that sounds nice! :beer:

Guest shaneliberty

Hey Guys and Gals:

Found out after a little simple research at a hangout that the B-King Fender fits the '04 GSXR 1000 fork legs. After a quick search I found a good one for $130.

Here is a quick pic I took last night.

164742_10150107137726974_739606973_7634132_1620327_n.jpg

Hey Guys and Gals:

Found out after a little simple research at a hangout that the B-King Fender fits the '04 GSXR 1000 fork legs. After a quick search I found a good one for $130.

Here is a quick pic I took last night.

164742_10150107137726974_739606973_7634132_1620327_n.jpg

Lookin great man! Keep it up!

Guest shaneliberty

+1.gif

I didn't like it at first but it turned out very well : fing02:

Hey Guys, can someone send me a link to the original thread for the 929 shock mount mod? I have been trying to track it down. Just need to know how long the custom mount needs to be to make it work.

Scratch that. Found it

Edited by shaneliberty

• Member Contributer

+1.gif

I didn't like it at first but it turned out very well : fing02:

Hey Guys, can someone send me a link to the original thread for the 929 shock mount mod? I have been trying to track it down. Just need to know how long the custom mount needs to be to make it work.

shock install bits

Guest shaneliberty

Thanks for the link!

Update:

Won a bid for the Ducati under tail off Ebay. It's just the black plastic panel that covers the subframe above the exhaust. Helps seal up the tail and electronics. Also bought 50 feet of the "Titanium" Del made header wrap in 2". Gonna just wrap the mid to keep some heat off my right leg and butt.

Took the bike out for a chilly ride with some friends. I definitely need to work on the suspension and geometry. I knew it wouldn't be right but considering the raked subframe and the really harsh dampening, I need to fix it. I set the rear up per an old Sport Rider reviews recommended settings, and the front is half way through the clickers but A.) I haven't set my sag (Duh), and B.) the bike is not the same weight as it was stock. I am not saying I pulled 50 lbs off, but things are totally different regardless.

Anyway, quick shot to show I am actually riding it while I fix it up.

168218_10150109690586974_739606973_7692166_3934316_n.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the link!

168218_10150109690586974_739606973_7692166_3934316_n.jpg

It may be a mutant, but it is a good looking mutant...... :fing02:

If that was a shot at being clever.... try again.

You'll have a better time here if you adopt some of the good manners you've commented on. Maybe I just know Greg better than you but I see nothing in his comment to prompt a rebuke... and you just need to read the guys sig to get a handle on his approach to life.

Love the bike. Unlike you, I haven't ridden mine at all since I started on it, but one day she will roll under her own power again...

4166661450_0b615dc813_z.jpg

Guest shaneliberty
If that was a shot at being clever.... try again.

You'll have a better time here if you adopt some of the good manners you've commented on. Maybe I just know Greg better than you but I see nothing in his comment to prompt a rebuke... and you just need to read the guys sig to get a handle on his approach to life.

Love the bike. Unlike you, I haven't ridden mine at all since I started on it, but one day she will roll under her own power again...

4166661450_0b615dc813_z.jpg

Good looking bike. Looks nice without the cooling system and wiring. Too bad we can't run 'em like that. The photo is very dark but I would like to see what headlight you plan to use.

As for the behavior, Forums are shooting galleries and I get a bunch of random replies from people hoping to come up with a very witty reply to a post. Since you can't tell if someone is joking or not half the time, I have to take everything at face value. That was a strange post he made.

I am not on here to argue to make a scene. Just here for information and I posted this topic to share a build while I learn more about this particular bike I own.

Edited by shaneliberty

Good looking bike. Looks nice without the cooling system and wiring. Too bad we can't run 'em like that. The photo is very dark but I would like to see what headlight you plan to use.

The bike is being built as a sportsbike/streetfighter, in SF guise it will run Renthal bars and a modified MV F4 headlight . With the Epro billet clip-ons in that pic, it will have a custom full fairing (combination of CBR600F4 and CBR1100XX - see pic in the 4th Gen picture thread) and the headlight for that is a CBR600F4 shell with the reflector replaced by dual projectors with HID conversion.

Since you can't tell if someone is joking or not half the time, I have to take everything at face value. That was a strange post he made.

Well, it's probably fair to say that most of his posts are a little different to the norm, but I find the best course of action when I don't know exactly what point someone is trying to make is to either politely seek clarification, or just keep my mouth shut... saves a lot of hassle, and wasted time.

I have some bits of plastic off a CBR1000RR that are perfect to tidy up the radiator, will send a pic to show you what I have in mind. I'm also running an EWP electric waterpump so my plumbing is entirely different to stock and I can hide the hoses or reroute them to where they are less visible, and my wiring harness is modded and rerouted too.