O.K. Let's see what the reaction is from an owner's club....(High Mods inside)

Guest shaneliberty

Guest shaneliberty

IMG_2574.jpg

O.K. I joined this site because I own a VFR and this forum seems a little level headed. Now, this VFR is my 16th bike and it was given to me for free from my boss. The bike was an a wreck and came to me completely un ride able. Only 1 tail fairing was intact, ripped seat, no fairing stay, and the gauges, slightly damaged, laying on the triple tree. The forks were bent, the front rim was damaged, the oil line to the cooler was frayed from asphalt sanding through the fairings, and the cooler was dangling, clip-ons bent, tank dented, etc. So, with that in mind, ANY MODS would be an improvement.

When I got her:

0717001327-1.jpg

Parts that are going into the build:

1-5100FZZA.jpg

CIMG1992.jpg

CIMG1993.jpg

CIMG1997.jpg

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest shaneliberty

Ducati 848/1098/1198 tail

0914000838.jpg

0914000838a.jpg

Tri-Bar headlight:

0914001601.jpg

So with the GSXR 1000 front end I had a machinist make a sleeve for the top triple cover, then I had him help me swap the VFR stem into the GSXR lower. I bought new All Balls roller bearings and installed new races in the frame. I then set to work cleaning up the Two Brothers Left Exit Header

CIMG2005.jpg

After the stock stem had some weld added to it, then put on the lathe to get it to match the diameter of the gsxr piece (Both stems used the same bottom bearing but the VFR steel stem was a little less than a millimeter thinner) I pressed the assembly together. Following this install, I proceeded to use the VFR controls and throttle. I am thinking of wiring the GSXR electronics to the VFR harness later, but I have to pick up a full service manual.

With my Carbon Fiber bucket, I realized I wanted it in tight on the triple tree and the stock fairing stay mount on the frame was in the way. I took a sawzall *Gasp!* and removed the tab. I then smoothed out the tab. I also removed the damper mount on the GSXR lower as this bike is not going to see much racing, lol, and I wanted a clean front end.

40753_471695711973_739606973_6849848_3132128_n.jpg

The subframe was bent up and I am removing the stock unit anyway in order to mount the Ducati 848 Subframe, so I bobbed the rear for now and mounted a GSXR tail light (upside down). The bobbed rear did away with the mount for the stock can, which is too quiet anyway, so I rotated a D&D can nearly vertical and mounted it to one of the remaining passenger peg mounts. I took an old R1 seat and welded some tabs to mount it on the frame.

Here is how the bike looks currently

65128_471695791973_739606973_6849849_7190112_n.jpg

IMG_2514.jpg

Looks like you have a good plan on what you want to do. This site has many members that will and can help you along the way. No question is off limits and you will get a some very good answers back.

Enjoy and welcome to the family

Guest shaneliberty

IMG_2510.jpg

These are all just aesthetic mods. I love 'Fighters and I am building 2 of them currently. Before any of my builds get big changes like new front ends, I always go through and change the oil, coolant, clean and sync the carbs, replace any worn pads, chain and sprockets, etc. I also check the valve clearances and look for any defects from being crashed. It's just not as exciting to talk about.

Both the builds are street legal and ridden while modded. Here is the ongoing FZR project I am creating bodywork for currently. This one is getting a VFR SSSA to go with it's new '07 R6 front end.

0906001233.jpg

Anyway, this is my contribution. Tell me what you think. I can understand getting some shit over this, but I thought i would test the waters.

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD from across the pond :biggrin:

You won't get much shit here, some may not like the style but all can appreciate the effort involved. And all looks very well executed....

It is a VFR at heart so you are 1 of us............

Guest shaneliberty

Welcome to VFRD from across the pond :biggrin:

You won't get much shit here, some may not like the style but all can appreciate the effort involved. And all looks very well executed....

Appreciate it. I had issues with the RAT forum because my Speed Triple wasn't dripping in the British Customs catalog.

This bike had 1 tire in the salvage yard when I got it. I am doing my best to recycle motorcycles. lol

Guest shaneliberty

The D&D Exhaust is just a Temp Fix while I get other items installed or repaired. I will be removing it the second I buy the Super Small battery I need in order to mount the new subframe.

The Ducati Subframe, tail fairing, seats, tail light, and exhaust will all be Stock in nature. I even have a Carbon fiber License plate mount for it. I just have to figure out what to do with the fuel pump, rectifier, rear half of the wire harness, and utilities for the blinkers and such. I will be making my own bodywork here and there, especially around the base of the gas tank, in order to hide or cover areas that may be used to mount the necessities.

I will post pics of the subframe work the second I can. I will have to figure out the brackets I need to make. I am not sure if I want to modify the subframe mounts or just do aluminum billet brackets they bolt to. Gotta see. I plan to retain the passenger accommodations for this build. Even though my fiancée has her own bike (The other 'Fighter) It would be cool if she can ride on this one.

• Member Contributer

+1.gif

watching the progress!

• 2 months later...
Guest shaneliberty

ALRIGHTY THEN:

It's been a long time. I have 4 projects I am working on as follows:

2008 Ninja 250R "WSMC Ninja Cup Bike" (Finished, finally)

1992 FZR 'Fighter Project... awaiting sleeved down VFR Swingarm

1987 WSMC "Vintage BOT" EX500 (Awaiting another stock motor and build of race motor)

And of course... the VFR I mentioned in this forum.

Mock up day!

So it's painfully obvious that my VFR swingarm sleeve job has been put on the back burner at Racer's Machine and with Christmas on the horizon.... God knows when the fucking thing will be finished. Considering I have finished Kit's Ninja250R Track Conversion and it's now ready for racer's school.... There is a gap in work till the fucking FZR has parts.

It's raining most the week in SD so I decided to say fuck the world and do some mock up for my Duc-Hon-Su.

Here are the LONG awaited Photos. Keep in mind I don't have all pieces installed and there is much to do. This is just Mock Up:

IMG_2574.jpg

IMG_2583.jpg

IMG_2581.jpg

IMG_2580.jpg

Here she is later after installing the Two Brothers Header:

IMG_2586.jpg

Guest shaneliberty

Alright, so I went a little further and started the logistics of the wiring.... not gonna be a big deal. Definitely need a MOTY battery or SpeedCell to get the charging system in the tail. Beyond that, I went ahead and dropped the stock header.

Easily the most complex exhaust system on a street bike. I think the exhaust takes up half the bike. lol. Anyway, I went ahead and mounted the Two Brothers Exhaust and even though it's left exit, I know that I can make it work. I have the other half of the mid pipe for the Ducati cans and as it turns out the diameter for the plumbing where it would have met the rear cylinder head of the Duc's V-Twin is actually identical to the exit pipe for the 2 bros header. Since Ducati has space issues also and has so many twists and turns, there are plenty of U-Bends to use for welding up a cross over pipe to make the undertail work. I will have my buddy help me by cutting the exit of the header back to the last weld, welding on a U turn for a little past 90 degrees and get it to run over to the right, then up to the mid. The mid will disconnect at the cans and since the rear 2 pipes for the header disconnect to fit through the swinger, I will be able to take it all apart even after it's mostly welded up.

IMG_2589.jpg

IMG_2590.jpg

IMG_2591.jpg

the brackets for the subframe that I have on right now will be replaced with the fab work to mount the sub solid. I am not sure how we will tackle the offset but considering how easily the setup went together, it's just a matter of hitting each point one at a time with the way it's setup right now to finalize the location and position. I am keeping the tail slightly raked out to keep the passenger seat line a hair above the top of the gas tank. I have to keep the 'Fighter feel.

I will have to remove the butterfly valve for the mid and weld a block plate on to finish that bit. I will also have to wrap most of the Mid Pipe with Header Wrap in order to keep from cooking my legs and the electronics that I will have to sneak through the subframe. I am missing the plastic valance that goes under the tail fairing, so I will have to bid on one from Ebay. I bought a Carbon Fiber License plate holder that will go in the stock location for added style.

I have the CDI already mounted under the passenger seat. The Rear 2 ignition coils and the Rectifier will fit nicely under the seat area hard mounted to the sub. The battery will sit directly under the driver seat and the misc. wiring will tuck neatly through the sub. I will simply use black HD Zip Ties much like a factory application to keep the routed wiring tight to the frame work without messing up the lines. Really, so far it's not so bad. I found out through the VFR forums that you don't HAVE to run the fuel pump. It will gravity feed just fine, you just have to watch you level as the stock tank will not fully empty.... but this bike is about aggressive style and I don't plan to ride to Canada anytime soon so I removed the Fuel pump. It has freed up a lot of space and the misc. brackets that held the hoses is gone as well. I removed the rubber matt that was over the rear valve cover as the wiring will not be running over it any longer and I have moved a bunch of other random crap or simply removed it.

All in all things are looking good.

Edited by shaneliberty

• Member Contributer

Great looking project Shane, welcome aboard. Just a little advice, the site is not age restricted so the language could tone down a bit in your previous post.

Now to the important stuff....are you sure you ahve to cut up the rare left exit exhaust to realize your vision for the Duc tail? your stuff so yoru call but that is all that hurts me when I see you bringing a great V4 back from salvage.

Have you ridden a similar VFR before? if so, does the GSXR front end rake the forks out a bit and slow the steering? It may just appear that way to me wothout the front fairing to compare for looks.

good job and keep posting up the pix!

carver

• Member Contributer

Looks good. I know the pictures above are only of the mock up, but do you plan on keeping the angle of the tail like that? It looks like it should lay a little flatter (i.e., less incline in the seat). Other than that, Awesome!

BTW, I know I've seen that redish/pinkish fighter with the funky tail up on Palomar Mountain.

Edit: It looks like the subframe is angled to steeply making the seat appear too high.

One more thing: From the photo from the rear of your mock up it looks like the left foot peg assembly is a little bent compared to the one on the right. Is this so?

• Member Contributer

Not for me stylistically, but I have mad respect for people who can engineer and implement the heavy kind of mods you are doing. :fing02:

I would REALLY like to hear that V-4 through those Termis! :musik20:

Guest shaneliberty

Looks good. I know the pictures above are only of the mock up, but do you plan on keeping the angle of the tail like that? It looks like it should lay a little flatter (i.e., less incline in the seat). Other than that, Awesome!

BTW, I know I've seen that redish/pinkish fighter with the funky tail up on Palomar Mountain.

Edit: It looks like the subframe is angled to steeply making the seat appear too high.

One more thing: From the photo from the rear of your mock up it looks like the left foot peg assembly is a little bent compared to the one on the right. Is this so?

That would be me or Kit that rode the FZR up to Palomar.

The Subframe is meant to be raked up higher. That's part of the point of this build. I played with the rake and I actually don't mind the angle it's at when I sit on the bike. Keep in mind, this bike will not see track time. It's just a street bike.

The bike was wrecked when I got it and the right side took the hit. The left foot peg looks to be an aftermarket piece, kinda, and it's very droopy. It's not staying on the bike. It's just there out of convenience currently.

Guest shaneliberty

Great looking project Shane, welcome aboard. Just a little advice, the site is not age restricted so the language could tone down a bit in your previous post.

Now to the important stuff....are you sure you ahve to cut up the rare left exit exhaust to realize your vision for the Duc tail? your stuff so yoru call but that is all that hurts me when I see you bringing a great V4 back from salvage.

Have you ridden a similar VFR before? if so, does the GSXR front end rake the forks out a bit and slow the steering? It may just appear that way to me wothout the front fairing to compare for looks.

good job and keep posting up the pix!

carver

Sorry about the language. I am blogging the build on Custom Fighters and the language restriction is..... lenient to say the least. I will be sure to edit the cursing.

Yes. I am cutting the header. It's getting used on a VFR so it's not a waste. Just as many Ducati Owners would be upset I am cutting up a Ducati Midpipe so it's a wash. lol.

I've been riding this bike for months now before i made the switch. I have ridden the 800 series VFR, the new 1200 VFR, Honda Magna, Yamaha V-Max, and even a " 'round the block" on an RC30.

Yes, the GSXR front end changed the handling characteristics. No one suggested I run this front end and it took a lot of modification to get the stem of the VFR triple tree to work in the GSXR bottom triple. The bearings were the same dimensions at the bottom of the neck but completely different up top. Considering I got the complete front end for free, I paid to make it work. I did not swap out the front end to shave seconds of lap times. I made the switch because it's wild. I have the option to slide the forks down about another 5mm if I want and I am considering the British "Jack up Kit" for the rear to place a little more weight on the front end to mess around with geometry.

Guest shaneliberty

Not for me stylistically, but I have mad respect for people who can engineer and implement the heavy kind of mods you are doing. :fing02:

I would REALLY like to hear that V-4 through those Termis! :musik20:

Yeah, this is not for everyone. The important thing here is that I saved this bike from the scraper and it's getting a new life as a fun streetbike that will turn heads, not for it's amazingly expensive aftermarket accessories but for it's "WTF?" looks.

I have the option to slide the forks down about another 5mm if I want and I am considering the British "Jack up Kit" for the rear to place a little more weight on the front end to mess around with geometry.

You could flip the eccentric for a lot less and get about an inch of rear ride height. Do a search here, I started a topic on it a while ago.