2010 Catskills Fall Ride Report!

SEBSPEED

(or should we call it the 1st Annual "Timmorial Ride"???) :laughing6-hehe:

Watch this spot for everyone's pics and stories!

I'm feeling the effects of the weekend ,will add my stuff soon...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Made it home safe without incidents at noon in time for my daughters soccer game so I made some brownie points! Was a cool ride home but sure beats the wet ride out there!

MANY THANKS to Seb for a great weekend. Your efforts did not go unnoticed and please know they were much appreciated.

Joe Bone wanted me to extend his appreciation to you all accepting him & his Yamaha. He was glad he came and said he's hoping to be able to do it again.

Sorry I did not get many pics... My camera battery died and I realized I had forgotten to bring the spare!

Here's what we looked at for weather on Friday at 10:30am

gallery_9056_5625_95498.jpg

1001101036.jpg

Sat am we gathered at the Lookout before we broke into groups...

gallery_9056_5625_3334777.jpg

IMG_1686.JPG

gallery_9056_5625_2723170.jpg

IMG_1687.JPG

Yoshi at a break in the action

gallery_9056_5625_1697356.jpg

IMG_1688.JPG

Rest stop

gallery_9056_5625_275428.jpg

IMG_1689.JPG

Lastly Seb hooked us up with an German dinner complete with an Ompah band!

I'm not sure this will work but here's what you missed on Saturday nite Timmy! (sorry for the crappy cell phone video!)

Click on the pic for the video

th_FunintheCatskills.jpg

And it was a whole lot better with the pitchers of Octoberfest brew!

Thanks to everyone for another memorable ride. Lots of laughs, great roads & better people! Kinda what VFRD is all about.

• Member Contributer

Again, had a great weekend. Rode down thursday night in the pouring rain. Took it as an opportunity to test out some new gear in the rain. Needless to say I arrived a bit wet, but drier than I thought I was going to be. Bit of running around and some last minute wrenching friday followed by a late arrival at the motel started the evening.

Ride in the morning was a bit stressful. We had beautiful weather, but the rain had done it's damage. There were definitely a chunk of roads that were nice and clean and we could stop worrying if there was a wood or some gravel in the middle of the corner. The giant sweepers on 30 were absolutely sweet, even with the wind trying to blow you into the bay. Either way, still managed to have a decent ride, though I had the feeling everyone was feeling lazy and tired of the conditions.

Had an awesome time at the restaurant. Food was good, beer went down well, music was....ompah-ish. I don't think I laughed that hard in a good long time. Don't mind me stealing a couple of quotes.

"It's a jungle out there Yosh"

"24 people, divided by three tables, eight per table. That works!"

"You can't have the chairs"

"Anyone going to bail out Jim?"

DSCF0568a.jpg

DSCF0569.jpg

DSCF0570a.jpg

DSCF0571a.jpg

DSCF0572a.jpg

DSCF0573a.jpg

DSCF0574a.jpg

As far as feedback goes, not too much to complain about. Ride was well organized. Group size ended up being manageable. Nothing you can do about the bad roads. The shuttles to diner were much appreciated as well.

The motel was in a good location and about the right size. Having the firepit spitting distance from the rooms was really nice as well. And was fairly cheap. Only real complaints was the sulfur and general cleanliness of certain areas of the rooms.

All in all it was a fantastic time. Hope to see everyone again next year or sooner!

• Member Contributer

Sadly I have no pics to share. I left in a hurry and one of my packed bags did not get put on the bike. So a few small trivial things got left behind like my camera and clean socks.

I left NH Friday morning at 0930 and I was just lucky enough to somehow spend the next five hours in the heaviest part of the storm. I swear that damn thing followed me. Got to the hotel at 1430 and went hunting for a hot shower. Instead I got a sulfur bath. I came out smelling worse than when I went in, but I was no longer hovering on the verge of hypothermia. Don't buy cheap wet weather gear folks. The rest of the crew started to arrive and the beer, pizza, and massive fire commenced. Someone kept passing around a disembodied Timmy head. Disturbing things were done to that head. Very disturbing.

The ride out Saturday was cool but clear blue skies. As Yoshi said, the ride was tense at times due to the debris in the roads. Nothing will wake you up like having the back tire slide out on some gravel while your leaned over fully committed into a turn. Having to keep a sharp eye on the road conditions wore everyone down. The route was great though, many thanks to Seb for planning it all out and thanks to all the Leaders/Sweepers. A good time was had by all.

Saturday night was.....well. If you were there, you know how it was. If not, you missed out. I have not laughed that hard in a long time. My throat was sore the next morning. To give a brief explanation: When we walked in we spied streamers hanging from the ceiling over the dance floor. At the end of each streamer, hanging just above head hight, was a tasty candy bar. The MC later announced that the candy was free for the taking. But if you were observed by the "Sheriff" pilfering said treats, you were locked in jail till someone ponied up a dollar to bail you out. Needless to say, the game was afoot. Beer fueled hijinks ensued. Candy was liberated, waitresses were groped, and I think the disembodied head of Timmy had a quick fling with The Lesbian Librarian. Lucky Bastage :dry: Some other high points:

1) The Lesbian Librarian, I love you even though your a dirty, dirty, filthy girl. :491: :wub:

2) The Mommy - Daughter combo doing shots and dancing.

3) The candy, good god that was funny.

4) The chair Nazi.

Just a great time. May I once again extend my thanks to Seb for making all this happen, you did a great job! Midlife for carting our very drunk butts home from das brewhaus. :3: Motorhead for the socks, you saved my bacon man, much appreciated! Also thanks to everyone that came out. A great bunch of people, thanks for making this such a great weekend!

• Member Contributer

If anyone wants to know how bad the roads were, just ask Y2KVFR. He's got plenty of shots of the road at a nice slow pace :laughing6-hehe:

If anyone wants to know how bad the roads were, just ask Y2KVFR. He's got plenty of shots of the road at a nice slow pace :laughing6-hehe:

He did request the SCENIC group! :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

:laughing6-hehe: :laughing6-hehe: :laughing6-hehe: :owned:

Seb, I'll get some shots up when I wash her. The wheels look more gray than gold right now.

• Member Contributer

Burnsie... where are ya man??

I think I heard Burnsie say he took Monday off... He's probably takin' the long way home...

• Member Contributer

woot... Jimmy and I home safe and sound.. got stuck in traffic for an hour and a half at one point... fun fun

Thanks again Seb!!

Timmy has already called me, inquiring... LOL the amazing, tattoo'ed, dirty-librarian was all over ya, Timmy :fing02: ... I'll get pics up in a little.

• Member Contributer

Just got in about a half hour ago... needed to give the wife and kids their soveniers and get a good hot shower (wash off the road and sulfer, and try to loosen up my mid back... jeebus, I'm feeling old right now) before sitting down to type a few words.

Me and Burns left the 'skills and headed to me mums for dinner with my Uncle Ron and Aunt Mary. Nice to see them. Sadly, we had to leave around 5 to get home before the sun set... as it turned out we had to rush off to sit on I-80 Westbound for about an hour and a half. Burns was on fumes by the time we passed the I-81 interchange (it was closed and we had to run to the next exit for the detour)... Burns pulled his best illegal move and ended up on I-80 Eastbound. I caught up with him in West Hazelton (thank God, too - for a minute there I thought I might have to venture into EAST Hazelton). After a refuel and stretch, the rest of the trip home was uneventfully dark.

I can't tell you guys how much fun I had this weekend. I was half thinking the roads were going to be a total wash as we trekked up North to meet up with Randy and Dino at Hot Dog Johnnys in Buttzville, NJ. By 1:50 we were goat pathing it through NJ to NY and mebbe pulled in to Langes at around 5:30 ish... honest I don't remember. Burns and I ventured out to find a cigar shop and ran into a head shop by mistake. Back to the hotel for a big fire, pizza and beer... and beer, and another beer. Don't know about the rest of you - but I slept like a flippin' stone (must've been the sulfur fumes... mmmmmm).

I'm glad we got a primer for Randy as lead on Friday, cause when we took off on Saturday morning, Randy was all about the business of boogy through the mounts.

Anyone remember two years ago - THAT was my first real ride. I brought up the sleeper Kat (balding rear tire, no rear brake and my really messed up head - I was going to die, I was sure of it). I'm just glad the little bit of Agri-racing I did didn't do any major damage.

Different story this time around.

Intermediate long tour with Randy in the lead, then Burnsie, me and Tumbles, Dino and the rest of the crew with Yoshi running sweeper. I'm still not very good, but I had an absolute blast. Kept up, enjoyed the Baby Gap going up hill; but, the best part of the day was those long-ass sweepers aroung the reservoir with the P in it... The VFR was singing its happy tune between 6 and 8 grand for most of the day. Just awesome.

Unfortunately, Poncho's lady friend went ballz-deep into a corner and scratched up that beautiful new Gixxer. The front 5 sat at the stop sign for about 10 minutes and that's when it hit me - this mountain hates Suzukis...Something went bad and I had a feeling it was her. Dammit all. Thankfully she was okay - sore shoulder and some cracked plastic just before lunch, too (sounded VERY famililar).

Phoenicia for lunch, fuel and we were off and running again.

So, I'm eating these high-fiber bars for snack on Friday and Saturday... GAWD I think I ate 5 or 6 of them. They hit me around 11 a.m. on Saturday. And the rest of the day, my leathers kept looking like an air bag deployment... Glad we kept moving - it only crept up into the helmet a couple times.

Back to Langes, clean up and away we go to Seb's childhood playground - complete with leiderhosen and oompah band. The shnitzle was bangin'. And the Octoberfest beer just kinda crept up on ya... I could've hung there till closing time and had an inordinately good time stealing candy, rippin' on... well, wait - was there anyone we DIDN'T rip on that night??? But alas, the beir was empty, our tongues were tired... and running out of things to say (sorry, channeling Dan Fogelberg there for a minute). I swear I haven't laughed that hard in I don't know how long. You all are some funny-azzed motherF#$!&ers!!

Beer, fire and stories to cap the night and then off to bed. Had a long day of slabbing ahead.

Timmy was with us, in spirit for sure... celebrating right a long with us (the hat was a bit questionable if you ask me, but I won't judge).

I'm way tired right now and the whole weekend is just kind jumbled up in my head with the rumble of the V-4 and the ringing of my ears from the iPod for 4 hours. Will post more along the way. Can't wait to see more pics.

I will apologize right now for the pics of the dirty tattooed lesbian librarian... For the LIFE of me, I couldn't get the damned picture framed properly. She was hot. And, seriously, WTF was up with that tool box she was with??

Thank you, Seb. This ride was the highlight of my season.

And, as for the rest of ya.... :goofy: Wish we had another day in the hills.

I got back home around 9 PM after taking the long way home. Dave and I got to do Tracy Road this time :bliss: . At 7 PM we were in Malone NY after dining on pizza, and road the final leg home in 37F temps. Let me say it was COLD! :ohmy: Wearing every stitch of gear we brought, we soldiered on for those last two hours...don't you just love biking...

A big thanks to all that attended and cudos to Seb instigating the whole affair.

Brian

PS. total distance covered for the three days was 1509km at an average speed of 86km/hr. (943 miles) :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

It was a great weekend indeed! Lots of fun riding and partying with everyone. The rain cut down on our mileage totals, but it didn't stop us from racking up 250+ on Saturday (although I'm sure a few of us soiled our gear in a corner or two).

After lunch, our group sought out some higher ground and we thoroughly enjoyed a couple of hours on roads that were spared from any gravel and debris from the flooding. Beers around the fire pit and dinner at the Brauhaus brought

more laughs than I thought were possible. There were times that I laughed so hard my sides hurt (or was that caused by my bladder?.................hmmmmm.............now that I have a clear head and 20/20 hindsight I'm sure it was both).

There's only a few things I'd change...............better water at the motel and an upgraded GPS and camera in my gear bag.

It was nice meeting everyone and I'm looking forward to next year.

Just one comment to Timmy......................these VFRD guys are some fargin sneaky bastages!

• Member Contributer

He did request the SCENIC group! :laughing6-hehe:

Whoah whoah WHOAH, there, Travis.... Any faster and you'lll get your tires all out of square. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

(or should we call it the 1st Annual "Timmorial Ride"???) :laughing6-hehe:

Watch this spot for everyone's pics and stories!

I'm feeling the effects of the weekend ,will add my stuff soon...

I made it home at 10:30am, one tank of gas, and still had time to wash the bike and cut the lawn :(

Great weekend, great roades, good people - hats of to Seb for organizing the Catskills ride.

Thanks, Jack

Archived