Looking for Routing Suggestions across the Central USA

Olive

• Member Contributer

Red Lodge Inn

811 S Broadway Ave, Red Lodge, Montana

(406) 446-2030

The Yodeler Motel in Red Lodge is another great place that is relatively inexpensive. Also, the Bridge Creek Backcountry Kitchen and Wine Bar serves great food in Red Lodge. The Bear Tooth highway from Red Lodge into Yellowstone is in great shape and is a blast to ride!

• Member Contributer

My budget runs more to campgrounds. I'm perfectly comfortable in a tent at night.

Olive is at my house right now and will be staying the night.

We plan on riding K-4 to Manhattan tomorrow before sending her on her way... Kickstands up at my house 8-8:30 tomorrow morning if you are interested in joining.

Lee

• Member Contributer

Olive is at my house right now and will be staying the night.

We plan on riding K-4 to Manhattan tomorrow before sending her on her way... Kickstands up at my house 8-8:30 tomorrow morning if you are interested in joining.

Lee

Gotta love VFRD, thanx for takin her in for the night Lee and showin her around the area.

See ya next July Olive :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Way to go Olive!!!!

Carving through the US like a piece of red hot steel through butter! :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Lee showed me "the best road in Kansas" this morning. Been continuing on some "interesting" roads in Nebraska. Discovered that some of their secondaries have sections which are pea gravel scattered on pavement. I can only assume that the pavement is oiled underneath, but not my favourite riding territory.

Currently in Holdrege, Nebraska with over 2,500 miles on the Odometer and heading north west through the state.

• Forum CEO

I dont know a thing about Nebraska other then my Great Grand Father Drown in a Flood somwhere in Nebraska in the Platte River, never been there myself. I adjusted my route suggestions a little to actually hit the Devils Tower mostly sweepers there but its a must see - then routed you off the intestate at Gillette to Sheridan, nice little place - definitly want to go into the Big Horn Mountains its a short hour long ride. Dont hit any Moose in the Big Horns either I almost did. The climb up from Ranchester is a lot of fun But watch out for the Sherrif in Dayton - this is a main path into Yellowstone so they are like spiders there trapping tourist with BS speeding tickets in these small towns. Take the southern route in the big horn valley into Cody not the Northern route too many small little towns with speed traps on the northern route (dont ask me how I know) You will love the Chief Josheph Highway - stop at the top and get a look a the view its amazing. And bundle up for the ride up the Bear Tooth it might be cold at the top, brand new pavement so its smooth and very nice, pretty place to be!

Full Size

• Member Contributer

I found a great road out of Bozeman, MT a couple of months ago, Rt 86. If you use Rt 89, it's worth the slight detour to see the mountains and valleys and the homes of the rich and famous as you leave Bozeman. Keep riding safe.

And bundle up for the ride up the Bear Tooth it might be cold at the top,

Olive was telling me that it had already snowed 5 times this season at her home. And you may remember she was the initial early leader in my 2009-10 "How Low Can You Go" windchill contest before Timmy pulled out a win with Warp Factor 9 speeds.

She is ready for some chilly weather.

• Member Contributer

Seeing early season snow is one of the benefits of working graveyard shift. I saw first snow in August - it melted ad soon as it hit the ground, but was a reminder winter is on its way..

So far it has been a chilly morning. Temps between 45 and 50 on the bike. The rain hasn't helped much either. Missed one exit which set me on the "scenic route". In Scotsbluff NB with 200 miles under my wheels already.

• Member Contributer

Thank you to everyone who contributed route suggestions for the ride. The direct route home would have been 2,500 miles. I took a few small detours and ended up with 3,800 on the odometer. A full trip report will follow with photos shortly.

gallery_15151_5615_69505.jpg

Final Odometer Reading The odometer started at "0" on October 1st, 2010 when I picked up the bike. This was taken just after I parked the bike at home.

Archived