Rear Brake Light Switch Off-On-Off

Rush2112

• Member Contributer

OK, I performed a fenderectomy and installed white LED license plate lights with red LEDs shooting straight back that turn on in addition to the regular brake lights. Front brake light switch works fine. Rear brake light switch turns brake lights on when lightly depressed, but the lights turn off if the pedal is pushed further down... I'm thinking I have a bad switch but wanted to throw it out there for any feedback from the forum.

Any insights are appreciated. Thanks...

:comp13:

• Member Contributer

OK, I performed a fenderectomy and installed white LED license plate lights with red LEDs shooting straight back that turn on in addition to the regular brake lights. Front brake light switch works fine. Rear brake light switch turns brake lights on when lightly depressed, but the lights turn off if the pedal is pushed further down... I'm thinking I have a bad switch but wanted to throw it out there for any feedback from the forum.

Any insights are appreciated. Thanks...

:comp13:

Bump.

Any ideas?

:idea3:

• Member Contributer

Before anything, I'd try backing off and then re-adjusting the footswitch. Maybe it needs cleaning as well.

How did you wire in the extra lites?

All I can think of...

Greg :fing02:

The license plate lights was wired directly into connector for the old lights. The extra brake LEDs were spliced into the Green/Yellow brake light wire using bullet connectors, shrink tubing, electrical connector grease, and liquid tape.

It turns out the brake pedal was getting too much travel... or at least I think that is what the problem was!?! I added Buell XB12 pegs and EBC HH pads (front & back) yesterday and during the mods/upgrades the problem was solved. I cleaned and lubed the brake pedal pivot point, adjusted the pedal height, and did a complete brake fluid change and bleeding of the system. The brakes are awesome! After bleeding the system there wasn't nearly as much pedal travel and the light works as designed.

:bliss:

Someone a while back posted up that their rear brake felt like a brick... before yesterday mine felt the same way. It felt hard with no feel or power, I almost thought I had a stuck caliper piston. After the fluid change, bleeding, and EBC pads it is like night and day. I really think it was the fluid... don't get me wrong, the pads are awesome and seem to have bedded in quickly and have tons of stopping power, but the change in feel and pedal travel had to be from air and moisture in the system. It is 10 yr old bike that is new to me this past Jan. and I'll bet it still had the factory brake fluid in it.

Thanks for the input... next on the agenda is fixing the front end dive under braking. It was bad before the new brakes, now it is really noticeable...

Archived