Auspanglish

Hi 

Thanks ... so it seems that all the wires are connected .... an extra wire is soldered in and connected to a ground 

May also put in a ground for the FI from the ecu as someone else had so nothing can ground back through it 

Speed 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi 

So read an item about the Fi light and giving it it's own specific earth to lessen the ability for other circuits to earth through it 

So stated B1 to find which wire in the earth block is the Fi ... this confused me as the B1 is an earth from the ECU to various circuits so how can you pin point the Fi circuit from this ? The Fi light wire seems to be A7 into the ECU ... so am I missing something here ... how will I find out the wire from the ECU to cut from the earth block to give it it's own earth ? I then intend to solder the other wires from the earth block together and do away with the earth block 

Any advice greatly appreciated 

Thanks 

• 6 months later...
  • Member Contributer

The 5th Gen version of the ground block is a luminescent Orange instead of yellow.  I had this problem the past week.  I put OxGuard on the connnector cap/contacts and it helped make the intermittent problem away.  So, I re-wrapped the connector block with electrical tape (3M Super 88) and buttoned her up.  A couple days later I loaded her up to head out for a Ride (Last Friday) and meet friends 5 hours away...lo and behold --- 20 miles out I had an intermittent fault and then the bike stalled at a stop light the next town ahead...BIKE WOULDN"T START!  pushed her across the street into a nearby neighborhood (on the edge of the next town) and parked it discreetly behind the neighborhood sign.  

Called my wife, picked me up I got the trailer and drove back.  Just for S&Gs I thumbed the starter button brought her home in a couple hours.  I opened her up checked the Stator, Checked the battery, checked the RR and everything looks good.  Take the connector off again...look for burnt ground wire connections...nothing.  Lo and behold she starts right up!!!! NO FI LIGHT!

I'm back on the road by 3:30--only 5-1/2 hours to go to a nice fire, dinner and friends to ride with the next day!  Rain starts 20 miles North...temps drop, and by the time in Northern PA the temp is 40F...and fog, oh, didn't I tell you it SNOWED earlier in the day...I missed it by leaving late!  My buddies direct me to my cabin (sweet PA state park cabin!) so we aren't camping in the coooooold rain...put my chair in front of a roaring fire, they put dinner in my lap, drink in hand and life is GOOOOOD...NO FI light the whole trip up to PA!

Next morning -- get up for breakfast at Forksville General Store...FI Light...intermittent then on the whole dang ride!!! crap.  I'm not going to strand my mates on the ride so I spend the whole day in camp working on the bike and doing some local hikes...I figure that if I can't get it fixed I'll ride back with a buddy on Sunday and we'll deal with the issues on the way home!  Button her up...we have enough butt connectors and wire to do a temporary grounding fix...but I'd rather wait til I can find a AutoZone or Home Depot to find the proper stuff...BUT I start the bike after eveyone gets back to show them the issue and the DAMN FI light goes away and stays away the whole Sunday ride home!!!

Needless to say, I'm soldering and grounding this coming weekend after i get home from my business trip...AND I'm buying a FZ-09 FAH0029 Mosfet RR just for peace of mind too...and maybe even a new battery!

Matt Roth

thumbnail.jpeg

• 5 months later...

Thanks for the post it’s helped a lot , I am half way round a tour of France, including Bol, and most of the 1300 miles with no headlight or indicators, cutting the engine out when switched on.

Thanks to this post I've found that it’s the yellow ground connector. I have another 1000 miles before I get home so I don’t want to risk my other lights or running so how do I open the box with basic tools without damaging it so I can rebuild it after cleaning?   

• Member Contributer

its not the block that is the issue its the cables going in to it. they are undersized for the load and they corrode inside the connector pins. Cut the block off, strip & clean the cables then solder the whole bunch together.  If you feel inclined, use a 3mm core wire & add it to the solder group & connect the other end direct to the battery negative terminal or a convenient bolt on the frame ! 

As you are on a trip, try a large chocolate block to replace the honda block, use 2 or 3 & add some jumper cables to the other sides to link them all. Should act as a temporary fix. 

Thanks Mohawk, I managed to open the block and cleaned the terminals then the insides as best I could. As I was riding in rain for an hour yesterday. It’s holding out at the moment so I will push on as I am

for now, I’m heading over the Pyrenees back to the uk now.

when I get back to the uk I make that modification.

Thanks for replying 

• 1 month later...

Archived