Vibranator Bar Dampers

Solomoto

• Member Contributer

In a recent issue of Cycle World, there was a mini review of something call the "Vibranator" vibration damper. This is not your normal vibration damper which is typically just of mass of metal inserted into the bar ends. This is different: it has a floating metal bar sorta like a tuning fork which has resonant frequency in the range of engine rpm which are most likely to cause numbness. At first I was a bit skeptical but I decided what the hell, and ordered a set for the 1200. Well I can happily report they DO in fact reduce the vibration amplitude. The vibration isn't eliminated as you can still feel it coming thru but the important thing is that the magnitude is considerably reduced. Where as my hands after a few hours in the saddle would begin to get numb, sometimes in a lot less than a few hours, the Vibranator allows me to grip the bars snugly all day without even a hint of numbness. Amazing! I'm so impressed with these I just ordered a second set for my 5th gen. They are about US$109 plus shipping for the type which includes an external bar weight which is what you want for the VFR. They are a snap to install (but getting the stock bar weights out isn't so easy).

Highly recommended!

post-19026-050508400 1283065514_thumb.jp

Phew, for a second there I thought you meant one of these:

http://www.viberider.com/

:fing02:

Thanks Rob, for the link to the viberider, maybe I can get my wife on the back now. :laughing6-hehe: I hope she doesn't see this post, we have all cast iron frying pans, as you may have observed. :laughing6-hehe:

• 7 months later...

I got one of them installed in my VFR1200's left handle bar today and took her out for a quick spin for comparison with the right still has the OEM damper. There is definitely a noticeable reduction in vibration specifically higher frequency buzz in the higher RPMs. I would say they work and worth the money if high speed buzzing bothers you. Installation was a snap and the removal tool supplied to revome the original insert worked wonderfully. Also took advantage of the group buy discount from the other VFR board. Cheers. :biggrin:

• 2 months later...

Which ones did u guys order for the VFR 1200? I did not see the 1200 listed on their website. For just over $100 I'd like to try em out on my new 1200 as well. Thanks!

Which ones did u guys order for the VFR 1200? I did not see the 1200 listed on their website. For just over $100 I'd like to try em out on my new 1200 as well. Thanks!

I ordered the CBR VFR, just specify Honda VFR1200 in the make and model box and they'll send you the right ones. Unfortunately 20% dicousnt code "VFRWorld " appeared to have expired. Enjoy.

In a recent issue of Cycle World, there was a mini review of something call the "Vibranator" vibration damper. This is not your normal vibration damper which is typically just of mass of metal inserted into the bar ends. This is different: it has a floating metal bar sorta like a tuning fork which has resonant frequency in the range of engine rpm which are most likely to cause numbness. At first I was a bit skeptical but I decided what the hell, and ordered a set for the 1200. Well I can happily report they DO in fact reduce the vibration amplitude. The vibration isn't eliminated as you can still feel it coming thru but the important thing is that the magnitude is considerably reduced. Where as my hands after a few hours in the saddle would begin to get numb, sometimes in a lot less than a few hours, the Vibranator allows me to grip the bars snugly all day without even a hint of numbness. Amazing! I'm so impressed with these I just ordered a second set for my 5th gen. They are about US$109 plus shipping for the type which includes an external bar weight which is what you want for the VFR. They are a snap to install (but getting the stock bar weights out isn't so easy).

Highly recommended!

You might have a look a the post 12 in this thread. Vibe thread Maybe your engine is producing a bit more vibes than it should. :huh:

Brian

• 1 month later...

Just installed these in the seat of the bike, one in the front the other in the back..wow! Jus kidding...my wife would kill me. I did just install them in my 98 VFR800 and I would have to say I'm not really impressed with the dampening claim. My bars didn't vibrate that much to start with so I thought these would cancel out all the remaining vibration but this was not the case, they still vibrate a little. They may have reduced the vibration a little but it's hard to tell. I will say the finish on them is excellent and they are much better looking than the stock bar ends. Oh, the little tool they give you to remove the OEM bar end rods that are inside the handlebars are the best!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I know I should know this... but... what is the trick to these? I removed my bar ends easy enough. Went to put these in... and they dont seem to fit. OR I have no clue as to what I am doing. (which is more than likely the case as they didn't come with any form of instructions. Any one give a dumbass (me) some advice on installation? I have an 07 rwb.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Disregard. Trip to Lowes. Wrong size bushing apparently and a stripped nut. They work fine now. Haven't driven the bike yet will do that in a few days as I am installing more MODS at the moment.

• 3 years later...

I'll revive this old thread to mention I just installed these in my Heli Bars because I didn't think it was worth my time or blood to extract those gosh-darn dampeners out of my stock handlebars. Well, "Gosh Darn" wasn't the exact term I used but you get the picture.

So I rode around for a little while with nothing but some bar-end weights and there is definitely some buzz in there. Nothing too bad for knocking around town but probably enough to get your attention at the end of a 600 mile day. These Vibranators definitely quell the buzz.

The cool thing is, if you touch the bar end while you're riding around, that sucker is vibrating like mad. But you feel nothing in the grips. Weird.

• Member Contributer

I was really skeptical when I first read about them, but figured "What the heck" and bought some. I'm a firm believer in them now. Don't know how they work, but work they do.

• 8 months later...

Can someone tell me how they are installed? There are no instructions. The Allen bolt for the weight does not seem to tighten all the way so it is a tiny bit of play with the rubber bushing. Do you just tap them in with a mallet and that's how it's held in? Is that's all there is to it?

Art

• 3 months later...

Long term followup. Took a cross country trip from Fla to Vegas and then to Colorado, rode all over the mountains over the summer. So a fair number of miles. These things work great. Just riding around town I don't know that you would notice the difference, but if you're really grinding out the miles it is fantastic to end they day without your hands being sore and numb.

To be clear, the VFR isn't the ideal bike for grinding out the miles on the interstate. For the money an ST1100 would be better I think. But what are you gonna do when you get there? By the same token, this bike is a PIA in the city, it needs open road. It just needs it to be twisty. You don't have to modify the bike much to get out there, and I don't know these bar-ends on the short list of essentials, up there with a Corbin seat and PR4's, but if you're going for the "old man" package and you're putting in heli-bars anyway, I'd think about it.

Among other things, if you like gloves without a lot of padding (I'm digging Lee Parks) it makes a real difference.

I'm sure Art solved his problem by now but, provided you don't have to dynamite the old dampeners out, they are as easy to install as any bar-ends are. Just screw em in. Look at it this way. It's about the same money as throttlemeisters to put in vibrinators and a NEP throttle lock, more effective, easier to install.

Archived