How do you remove the stupid fairing clips?

Guest Redneck

Guest Redneck

I thought I'd get of my arse and change the oil in my 06 VFR. Page 95 in manual says "Remove Clips" so simple - bloody Japs.

I've destroyed one clip and had to walk out of the shed and kick the cat to vent my frustration.

At the risk of sounding like a total spud (dense vegetable with little or no intellect) how the F*#k do you release these things?

They have no visible centre fiture that seems to release them and no screw slot like others I've seen.

From what I've read, they are different from earlier models.

• Member Contributer

I thought I'd get of my arse and change the oil in my 06 VFR. Page 95 in manual says "Remove Clips" so simple - bloody Japs.

I've destroyed one clip and had to walk out of the shed and kick the cat to vent my frustration.

At the risk of sounding like a total spud (dense vegetable with little or no intellect) how the F*#k do you release these things?

They have no visible centre fiture that seems to release them and no screw slot like others I've seen.

From what I've read, they are different from earlier models.

I just did my first oil change on an '06 too--but I was duly warned about the clips. Press in on the centre--if they haven't been off before, or in a while, there may be just enough dirt in there (especially the ones on the bottom that hold the sides of the fairing together) so that they appear to have a solid head but unless they've been changed out or Aussie bikes are different, there's a strip about the width of the blade of a large flat-bladed screwdriver that will depress a few millimetres. Then just pull the clip out. Warning: one or two of my clips were brittle. I suspect I might have to replace them in the near future. To put them back in, push the centre section out so that it stands proud of the head of the clip by a few millimetres. Then you just pop the clip back in, press the centre section flush, and it locks back in place. Pretty slick, but also pretty fiddly...I was wondering why they just didn't use a few more of those nice fairing screws...

Good luck!

I've just attached a page from the owner's manual (maybe yours doesn't have it or you need to read on a bit further?) that shows the clips. Cheers.

Clips.pdf

• Member Contributer

And,

they can be replaced with these...

http://www.thefastenerwarehouse.com/catalog/item/568361/2509102.htm

much cheaper than buying from Honda.

I even found some on ebay, which were a little cheaper and easier to order. (at least when I bought)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/25-Wheel-Opening-Retainers-GM-21077123-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5d2a8adeefQQitemZ400145702639QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Enjoy!

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the Honda ownership experience. If you remove enough of 'em , you're going to break one now and then. Keep spares on hand - either the suggested replacements or OEM type. I have about a half dozen. I broke one the 1st time I took a panel off my new 6th gen and I already knew how they work. I just consider them a wear item and don't get too bent about breaking one occasionally. They're also sort of fiddly to re-set so they can be replaced. Just take your time. I loved the 1/4 turn Dzus type fasteners on the 4th gen. No telling why Honda went to these on the 5th and beyond.

Guys,

Thanks for the info. I worked it out after I calmed down. Hence the moniker "Redneck". My manual does actually have the picture as posted by Belfry but it is a multi language version and I had to go through it page by page to find it.

My paint work is pristine and I was stressing out, not wanting to force anything and slip, possibly scratching something. I got the fairing cowls off and now I can tinker and clean and eventually get around to changing the oil & filer.

The weather here is crap at present with one week to go before spring and (hopefully) some nice riding opportunities. Thanks to all that offered the benefit of their experience.

• Member Contributer

Guys,

Thanks for the info. I worked it out after I calmed down. Hence the moniker "Redneck". My manual does actually have the picture as posted by Belfry but it is a multi language version and I had to go through it page by page to find it.

My paint work is pristine and I was stressing out, not wanting to force anything and slip, possibly scratching something. I got the fairing cowls off and now I can tinker and clean and eventually get around to changing the oil & filer.

The weather here is crap at present with one week to go before spring and (hopefully) some nice riding opportunities. Thanks to all that offered the benefit of their experience.

You can download an English language version of the VTEC shop manual on this site by going to Files > Downloads > Owners manuals and other > scroll to page 4. It's a large download, but once you have it in PDF format on your HD you can pull it up at will. :happy:

• Member Contributer

And,

http://www.thefasten...361/2509102.htm

I even found some on ebay, which were a little cheaper and easier to order. (at least when I bought)

http://cgi.ebay.com/...sQ5fAccessories

Enjoy!

Thanks for those links, TucsonErik. As I mentioned, some of my clips feel as though they could break soon. I did read somewhere here about Wire My Bike and in perusing that site found these clips, but he states that they aren't long enough for the bottom of the 6th gen fairing (the most brittle ones on my bike). Do you know for sure whether the GM fasteners are long enough for the bottom of the fairing?

• Member Contributer

My local Ace Hardware store has a huge selection of very similar clips in a variety of sizes for literally PENNYS a piece. Any good hardware place should have a wide selection a fasteners like this.

• 3 weeks later...

And,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/25-Wheel-Opening-Retainers-GM-21077123-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5d2a8adeefQQitemZ400145702639QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Enjoy!

awesome. i just called my local autobody supply(wesco) and ordered a box of 25 for $10. they will be here tomorrow.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for those links, TucsonErik. As I mentioned, some of my clips feel as though they could break soon. I did read somewhere here about Wire My Bike and in perusing that site found these clips, but he states that they aren't long enough for the bottom of the 6th gen fairing (the most brittle ones on my bike). Do you know for sure whether the GM fasteners are long enough for the bottom of the fairing?

I've given up on using the clips on the bottom of the fairing and instead run a long zip-tie through the holes, connecting the two. Started doing this back when my RC51 used to loose them or I'd break them when taking off the fairing.

• Member Contributer

Use a small Allen key and gently press directly in on the center, gradually increasing pressure until the clip slides in. Be careful to press directly forward on the clip, avoiding putting pressure on at an angle. The allen key (or other tool) that you use should be slightly smaller than the center of the clip that you are trying to press in.

To re-use the clips, retract the center piece all the way out of the clip (you may have to spread the fingers slightly to retract the center pin). Replace the clip, and press the center to flush.

The clips that Honda uses are fiddly, but not nearly as bad as the ones that I had on the Suzuki (those required a small blood sacrifice as part of the removal). Once you get the hang of it, the clips are surprisingly easy to remove.

Good luck with it!

• Member Contributer

I've given up on using the clips on the bottom of the fairing and instead run a long zip-tie through the holes, connecting the two. Started doing this back when my RC51 used to loose them or I'd break them when taking off the fairing.

Great tip!

• 3 weeks later...

And,

Enjoy!

You can change your oil without removing any fairing if you get one of the filter socket type ends for a socket wrench and a 6" extention. Makes it even easier,

I dont get it. The clips are so simple, but yet everyone has problems. I actually like them. Once you fogure it out it's easy. They do wear out.

How do you change your oil filter without getting the faring and other bits oily? It only takes me 3 minutes to remove both side fairings.

Thanks for the link on the clips. Carolina auto supply has a catolog of clips but none match. The honda clips are easy to get off, just p[op the center. The GM style in the link will be hard to remove. You either use a pocket flathead, or have a special pair of pliers.

You guys wouldnt belive the # of clips on newer honda cars. Clips everywhere and they are all diffirent. Most break upon removal even with a special tool. The stupid clips can add $30 to a job just because of clips. They use to just use bolts, but all cars are clipped together now, BS.

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Thanks for the info. I destroyed the first one I took off and figured I'd destroy all of them if I didn't come here and find this.

We should look for a permanent metal alternative to these fragile plastic clips that have prongs that break upon removal after a few years on the bike. I'm thinking the shortest aluminum "Chicago screws" that we use to bind construction drawings at work could be the the answer......

I'll give it a try and report back if it works......

Archived