Custom rear wheel anyone?

dallasb

I am looking to produce custom rear wheels for the VFR's, anyone interested?

Weights will probably be the same as stock, I might be able to do a little lighter, it will depend on the style of rim.

Should be looking around $600, powercoated.

Several style possible, what get's your interest?

• Member Contributer

Are you an engineer? How would you test these wheels to insure they would hold up to the stresses experienced while riding? I think it would be great if you built a custom wheel for your bike, and if it fails you only have yourself to blame. However if you sell one to someone else and it fails... :laugh:

I am obviously skeptical but curious nonetheless to see where this goes. I am not interested in buying one, but only because it's being built by an individual and not an established wheel manufacturer.

Best of luck to you!

• Member Contributer

Weights will probably be the same as stock, I might be able to do a little lighter, it will depend on the style of rim.

I'd like to see a light weight 3 spoker... but I'm not in a position to pull the trigger on a "like to have" purchase right now, still working on suspension and engine. Maybe next year...

:laugh:

• Member Contributer

yeah.. i want a rear with a single hole like a duc! cut to match the wheels i have in my gallery.. by RC components.. i would love to have that design :fing02: :laugh:

I would be modifying car wheels, so no engineering. The modifications needed are land speed racing proven, narrowing them that is. I have one test wheel just about ready and was hoping to get some feedback before making up a couple more to sell. The cool thing is, I have found many styles that would look great on the back of VFR's, including a 6-spoke to match the fronts!

• Member Contributer

I would be modifying car wheels, so no engineering. The modifications needed are land speed racing proven, narrowing them that is. I have one test wheel just about ready and was hoping to get some feedback before making up a couple more to sell. The cool thing is, I have found many styles that would look great on the back of VFR's, including a 6-spoke to match the fronts!

Sounds good :fing02: Like everyone else said, let's see some pictures!!

IIRC, there were some people out there modifying Honda Civic aluminum wheels to bolt on to SSS rear ends like the VFR at one time. Can't remember if they sold it to the public or if they were just one-off projects, but this is not the first time that aluminum car wheels were modified for motorcycles.

Don't agree with the 3 spoker request though, I always thought that three spokers looked kinda weird and unbalanced. Ideal (aesthetic-wise) number of spokes had always been 5. 4 might be nice too. 8 is always appreciated here!

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

When you make a LIGHTER VFR wheel, you'll have a complete job. VFR wheels are incredibly heavy. Go pick up a BMW cast wheel of the same diameter and width. Stock VFR wheels are disappointing junk, IMO.

• Member Contributer

...Don't agree with the 3 spoker request though, I always thought that three spokers looked kinda weird and unbalanced. Ideal (aesthetic-wise) number of spokes had always been 5. 4 might be nice too. 8 is always appreciated here!

Beck

95 VFR

To each his own... aesthetically, I think BLS's MrRC45 looks pretty sweet with a 3 spoker

http://www.vfrdiscus..._5511_41329.jpg

I like the look and, more importantly I would hope it would be lighter...

:fing02:

• Member Contributer

...Don't agree with the 3 spoker request though, I always thought that three spokers looked kinda weird and unbalanced. Ideal (aesthetic-wise) number of spokes had always been 5. 4 might be nice too. 8 is always appreciated here!

Beck

95 VFR

To each his own... aesthetically, I think BLS's MrRC45 looks pretty sweet with a 3 spoker

http://www.vfrdiscus..._5511_41329.jpg

I like the look and, more importantly I would hope it would be lighter...

:biggrin:

I agree. The three-spokers look good. Easier to clean, too!

When you make a LIGHTER VFR wheel, you'll have a complete job. VFR wheels are incredibly heavy. Go pick up a BMW cast wheel of the same diameter and width. Stock VFR wheels are disappointing junk, IMO.

Disappointing junk? Really? I would call it heavy for sure. To me disappointing junk is thousands of rear drive failures and said manufacturers refusal to step up.

Disappointing junk? Really? I would call it heavy for sure. To me disappointing junk is thousands of rear drive failures and said manufacturers refusal to step up.

A lighter wheelset would be nice, but really a modified car wheel. 2 completely different animals with different forces acting on them. I would be interested in seeing your design tho.

• Member Contributer

Absolutely. I would call a VFR wheel just what I did. Look at the sloppy casting inside the visible spokes. Feel the heaviness, the cheap fragile factory paint. As for BMW, I don't know what this has to do with custom wheels other than BMW makes better and lighter wheels than Honda.

As far as driveline failures, I've owned two BMW's rode the sh-t out of them with no failures of any kind. More than I can say for my two Hondas. As far as not backing them up, my dealer, which is a large one, backed up all TWO failures that went into their shop. I would be willing the bet any amount that VFR's alone have more electrical issues that Honda doesn't back up than BMW has of any one kind of problem. 3 cents....over and out on this crap..... :biggrin:

Here are just some styles I could do.

I think the weights would be real close to the same as stock, and I wouldn't consider the VFR wheel super heavy, 13.1 lbs for a 3rd, 5th & 6th gen.

I would assume most will want a powdercoated black, but just about any color would be available.

gallery_4071_2768_100598.jpg

VFRcustomwheels.jpg

• Member Contributer

have any SOLID rear wheels? that the design can be cut into a la foose style???

those wheels you have shown will never get on my bike..let alone my car..iobarf.gifbarf.gif

Edited by gll429

I like your idea - a lot, actually - but the problem is, how to get a matching front? That's one of my peeves about the Honda 8-spoker.

What I would love to have on my VFR, is a set of PVM 10Y wheels, or Duc 1098/848 wheels.

• Member Contributer

Rotas are the lightest I can find, and I wasn't planning on doing 5-spoke designs because the stock wheels are 5-spoke.

What styles are you looking for?

And you gll429?

i have pix in my gallery :biggrin: