86 vfr 700 sidecar wheelchair motorcycle vid

Guest sjsartwork

Guest sjsartwork

hey vfr lovers...heres a link to my very first test ride today....im a quadriplegic thats crazy enough to have attached my sidecar to a nice 86 vfr 700.....it took some unique frame adaptations of myown design and i even did much of the welding myself.man this things gonna be NUTS!!! I didn't get to crazy in the vid.Im still testing everything out for safety.

anyways guys heres the link...pass it on and remember, where theres a will...theres a way.

Edited by sjsartwork

Guest KrazieIvan

really cool mate. :)

Supertrapps and that motor are like PB&J! can't wait to finish my bike and hear that glorious barkin rumble again. thx for posting the vid, and keep us informed.

• Member Contributer

good on ya mate - keep us posted on how the testing goes! :fing02:

Guest sjsartwork

good on ya mate - keep us posted on how the testing goes! :fing02:

i will,and ya i definetly love the vfr/supertrapp sound too...thats what made me buy the bike back before i knew anything about a vfr......it's finally ready for the road...post-20540-095770700 1283401528_thumb.jp

post-20540-045090700 1283401573_thumb.jp

Edited by sjsartwork

• Member Contributer

Totally awesome! I love the way that VFR sounds and always appreciate a die hard enthusiast! :cheerleader:

So when are you coming to our next big VFR meet? :musik20:

• Member Contributer

Wow. Awesome, just awesome! Please please please post up more pictures, any notes you've made along the way and tell us about how you engineered it!

Where's RiotGrrl and Stewy? They may have some tips for you!

Congrats!

Guest sjsartwork

post-20540-021025900 1280765996_thumb.jp

as far as engineering...the trickyest part was a strong mount to the bike...so after a-lot of thought first,i decide to encase the aluminum frame with steel basically on both sides of the bike....each side has 7 strong bolt to motor/frame points then each sides steel frame is welded to the major cross bar. i feel like i built everything stronger and heavier than need, but i wanted it to be safe and trustworthy.

Guest sjsartwork

i made an outrigger on top of the forks for steering...it ties in to the sidecar handle bars with a tierod...

For throttle i had to make an elbow throttle plate to gas it...post-20540-078496700 1280766467_thumb.jp

Edited by sjsartwork

• Member Contributer

Awesome... That's the kind of stuff that gives people hope, anyone can do anything no matter what!

Is the turning radius enough to make a tight right hand turn?

• Member Contributer

Oh man I wish you had taken pictures along the way and posted it as a project I would have loved to see how you developed it along the way. That is awsome! I hope it works and you can ride it safely.

:goofy:

When you get the time, could you let us know how you've set up braking and shifting from the sidecar? More pics are always good, too.

Last year at Friday 13th, I saw a 1 front/2 rear trike with a totally flat floor and a scooter powerplant powering the right rear wheel. Very slick, but lacking the VFR exhaust note. :fing02:

I'm just getting a disabled parking pass for my dad, and found out that the Province of Ontario will issue disabled stickers for motorcycle license plates. I wonder what kind of reaction THAT gets from passersby.

Glenn

• Member Contributer

Totally awesome! I love the way that VFR sounds and always appreciate a die hard enthusiast! :fing02:

So when are you coming to our next big VFR meet? :cool:

its still a work in progress...it wont be finished and road legal for a few weeks more...plus being a quadriplegic,it will mostly be used for short rides only

There are some VFRD folks near Apple Valley... I'm just sayin' :biggrin:

Shaynej and HidesertMLB are both in that area to name a couple, I'm sure we could get a big group together when you're ready to show off you're creation :fing02:

Very cool work, keep us updated on the progress.

• Member Contributer

....i've been hittin a lever with my left hand but found out theres no way to shift with my left hand...cause when i let off the throttle theres too much engine breaking to allow shifts.....SOO ...back to the drawing board....

<snipped>

.....im keepin my fingers crossed on that one(even if i do have to duct tape them that way) ....this whole ride depends on that working out...im gonna start fabing up a design tomorrow.

That's the way I like to do it - the first cut at something is just there to let me know what I overlooked...

Kewl stuff. Keep at it, and let us know how it goes.

PS: I'm curious about your handle. What sort of artwork?

Glenn

Congratulations on the progress made. I'll definitely be keeping tabs on this post, very interesting with some strong ingenuity all to solve a major personal difficulty. There is a guy around my part of the world with a very similar setup. I haven't actually seen the bike up close but it's kinda weird coming toward a bike in the opposite lane with nobody on the chassis and then realizing they are operating from the side car! I have to figure out where he's from and check it out. Good luck and thanks for the life inspiration as well.

• Member Contributer

Thats awesome the way that you set it up to steer from the side car. Can you still have a passenger ride on the regular seat? If you have kids, it would be worth a million bucks to see the reaction of people as a child rides by them with an adult in the sidecar. Great work. :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

Very cool.

Maybe you can setup an electronic quickshifter wired to a large rocker or toggle switch or joystick switch to trigger with your left hand? Might help with shifting?

• Member Contributer

COOL...the elbow throttle worked out pretty good. after some simple wiring and tieing up some loose ends, this thing will be roaring down the road finally.

what about a 4 wheeler thumb throttle? a trigger throttle? a jet plane style "T" throttle? find one with a thumb button for the clutch and add a lever for the brakes :biggrin: