Voltage drops as RPM increase

MadFrog

I was doing some searching, and there are multiple MOSFET R/R's that have the same look:

FH010BA - 35 amp version, used on ZX10 and ZX14

FH012AA - 50 amp version, used on newed R1 (08+ I believe)

Both look identical

There is also the older R1 version, from 04-07 or so that had taller fins. I cannot confirm that version is MOSFET, as Shindengen makes Shunt style regulators with the same design.

• Member Contributer

I was doing some searching, and there are multiple MOSFET R/R's that have the same look:

FH010BA - 35 amp version, used on ZX10 and ZX14

FH012AA - 50 amp version, used on newed R1 (08+ I believe)

Both look identical

There is also the older R1 version, from 04-07 or so that had taller fins. I cannot confirm that version is MOSFET, as Shindengen makes Shunt style regulators with the same design.

Thanks a LOT for all the RELEVANT info Josh - there is actually so much info on the site that sifting through all of it to find what's applicable is the most time consuming part of the job.

Well, the part number being FH011AA for the 04-06 R1 regulator - the "F" would lead me to believe that it is indeed a MOSFET unit - BUT it needs trimming to fit under the plastics, from what my searching indicates.

And currently, there are no "cheap" MOSFET regulators on Ebay - cheapest I found (with a Buy It Now) is about $50 + S&H for a FH011AA and $75 + S&H for a FH012AA.

With all my connectors being in good shape, I am debating the need for a VFRness...

The best time to use the VFRness is before your connectors get toasted...most people who install find that their charging voltages rise by at least a small amount (.1-.2 volts) and that the voltages are more stable as well.

Did you get the battery load tested yet?

I have the VFRness installed, along with an upgraded R/R. Everything was perfectly fine, except for the battery, when my '98 started exhibiting the exact same behavior (voltage and RPM inversely related)

:)

• Member Contributer

I have the VFRness installed, along with an upgraded R/R. Everything was perfectly fine, except for the battery, when my '98 started exhibiting the exact same behavior (voltage and RPM inversely related)

I won't be able to get it tested until Saturday. I've eliminated the connections and the stator, so that leaves battery or regulator. Should I start taking bets on which it will be?

I won't be able to get it tested until Saturday. I've eliminated the connections and the stator, so that leaves battery or regulator. Should I start taking bets on which it will be?

Per my post (#9) here: http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/61033-new-fix-for-battery-charging-and-rr-electrical-burned-out-issues/page__p__723311#entry723311 my bet is the battery is toast.

I picked up an 07/08 R1 reg/rec on ebay, and Josh provided a modified VFRness for my '97. Easy and clean install - just 1 hole to drill.

VFRnessR1reg005.jpg

Dave P.

Archived