2008 VFR 800 HARDBAGS

Guest ROCKETROSS

Guest ROCKETROSS

Where to buy decent hardbags for 2008 VFR ?

Many thanks to the excellent dudes who took the time to reply to my other question, (individual replies forthcoming).

Anyone know of where to source stock (or better) hardbags ?

I am now convinced that the VFR is a good choice, but before I buy the bike I want to source hardbags, (as it seems that soft bags are not an option with the high exhaust). Stock hardbags are no longer available through Honda Canada. I will likely be checking with a dealer for soucing bags through Honda USA.

I never throught I'd see the day where I'd wreck the lines of a bike with luggage, (never to be seen in Italy I expect - but sometimes I suppose function precedes form), but I agree with a fellow Viffer that I'd never travel with a backpack on a bike again, (no matter how small). And please do not recommend the cheezy & tacky hardbags that are so widely available. No offence to the Viffers who're OK with junky looking hardbags, (better than milk crates for sure), but stock bags are barely acceptable in my books.

My sincere hanks again to my fellow adventurer road warriors.

• Member Contributer

I hope you get the VFR - it's a great machine.

Soft bags ARE and option and work just fine with the stock exhaust. I have the Nelson Riggs Silver Streak saddle/tail bags and have no issue at all with them. Yes - they touch the shield but that shield is the sole reason the bags work and don't get scorched.

2010-05-21170940.jpg

2010-05-21171011.jpg

I don't travel with a passenger so I can't say they would work well as the mounts would be changed to accommodate another person. They do hold a ton of stuff and were very easy to take off as a set of three bags when I needed to remove them when staying over night in a hotel or to repack.

I'd love a set of hard bags but don't want them on the bike all the time and don't really like the look of the brackets without them on. Plus I really didn't have the budget for the hard bags.

• Member Contributer

I just purchased the Givi V35 bags this spring and I'm very happy with them, picked them up from 2nd-gear on ebay and he is based out of Calgary for inexpensive shipping.

• Member Contributer

Sorry to hi jack the thread :fing02:

I want to buy a set of either Givi or OEM hard bags from the USA. I am here in Australia. Is there anywhere you guys could recommend for me to buy from an reputable online store?

Thanks in advance :biggrin:

Sammy40, the Givi website will point you toward distributors, which I'm sure are reputable. Might be worth an international call to talk to a sales rep to make sure you're getting the right bags and the right colors. Also, twistedthrottle.com and sporttour.com both have a pretty good selection of Givi luggage. Sporttour.com has an entire page dedicated to VFR luggage. I have heard good things about both websites.

Sammy40, the Givi website will point you toward distributors, which I'm sure are reputable. Might be worth an international call to talk to a sales rep to make sure you're getting the right bags and the right colors. Also, twistedthrottle.com and sporttour.com both have a pretty good selection of Givi luggage. Sporttour.com has an entire page dedicated to VFR luggage. I have heard good things about both websites.

Thanks man.... :fing02: Over here in Oz they tend to rip us off like there's no tomorrow :cheerleader:

I had a Ventura rack and bag on my Firestorm. I prefer the hardbags this time around.As i intend to do a far bit of touring.... Just saves the hassle if it bloody rains.

I always wrap my clothes in Glad Kitchen Catchers inside my Ventura bags. Nothing gets wet, and everything smells great with their odourshield technology. :cheerleader:

http://www.glad.com/trashbags/odorshield.php

I had a Ventura rack and bag on my Firestorm. I prefer the hardbags this time around.As i intend to do a far bit of touring.... Just saves the hassle if it bloody rains.

I always wrap my clothes in Glad Kitchen Catchers inside my Ventura bags. Nothing gets wet, and everything smells great with their odourshield technology. :fing02:

http://www.glad.com/.../odorshield.php

:cheerleader: GOLD!

• Member Contributer

I never throught I'd see the day where I'd wreck the lines of a bike with luggage, (never to be seen in Italy I expect - but sometimes I suppose function precedes form), but I agree with a fellow Viffer that I'd never travel with a backpack on a bike again, (no matter how small).

Well, I like my V35s. They won't take a full face helmet, but when I've got the bags mounted, they're full of other stuff anyway... They can be colour matched via Canadian Tire GM Silver (I think - I can get you the product code later):

gallery_17070_4949_1798782.jpg

Painted V35s

The brackets don't look too bad when the bags are off (IMHO):

Bags off

Don't worry about 'spoiling the lines'. The first time you walk up to the bike, toss your stuff in the bags and ride away without worrying about straps or security, you'll wonder why you held out for so long.

Glenn

I always wrap my clothes in Glad Kitchen Catchers inside my Ventura bags. Nothing gets wet, and everything smells great with their odourshield technology. :fing02:

http://www.glad.com/.../odorshield.php

:blush: GOLD!

You laugh now, but I'm dead serious. It works like a charm. Absolutely 100% on the level. :fing02:

I'm on the hunt for luggage for my 08 as well.

Since OEM is not an option anymore, I guess Givi's it is. However, are they just not selling the side bags? I am really only interested in the rear, top box.

I'm on the hunt for luggage for my 08 as well.

Since OEM is not an option anymore, I guess Givi's it is. However, are they just not selling the side bags? I am really only interested in the rear, top box.

You can buy either the hard bags ( side ) or the top box.No particular order :smile:

• 3 weeks later...

I never throught I'd see the day where I'd wreck the lines of a bike with luggage, (never to be seen in Italy I expect - but sometimes I suppose function precedes form), but I agree with a fellow Viffer that I'd never travel with a backpack on a bike again, (no matter how small).

Well, I like my V35s. They won't take a full face helmet, but when I've got the bags mounted, they're full of other stuff anyway... They can be colour matched via Canadian Tire GM Silver (I think - I can get you the product code later):

gallery_17070_4949_1798782.jpg

Painted V35s

The brackets don't look too bad when the bags are off (IMHO):

Bags off

Don't worry about 'spoiling the lines'. The first time you walk up to the bike, toss your stuff in the bags and ride away without worrying about straps or security, you'll wonder why you held out for so long.

Glenn

I want a set of those as well, if I cannot seem to locate white honda oem bags when I have the cash (saving now) but they dont seem to offer them in white either. =(

• 2 years later...
  • Member Contributer

If anyone's interested, soon I'm going to be selling a set of the Honda OEM hard bags from my '06. (Black) $550 + shipping. I'm in Delaware (USA).

Shit. I just noticed how old this thread is. Sorry. (Still going to be selling them though)

Put this in the Classifieds...it will get seen and it won't get deleted...good luck!

Archived