RC51 oil cooler install on 5th gen

Ranger77

• Member Contributer

Got my RC51 cooler in the mail today. its the same with as the vfr's, but is 5 rows instead of 3. Also got a 6th gen oil cooler in. I'll try to do a test for each one but one promises. Since I dont have an oil cooler gauge all I can go by is the coolant gauge and using a thermal temp gauge.

I do have a GSXR 1000, but I'll use it as a last resort. It's a lot bigger and I'll have to cut the oil lines.

• Member Contributer

Got my RC51 cooler in the mail today. its the same with as the vfr's, but is 5 rows instead of 3. Also got a 6th gen oil cooler in. I'll try to do a test for each one but one promises. Since I dont have an oil cooler gauge all I can go by is the coolant gauge and using a thermal temp gauge.

I do have a GSXR 1000, but I'll use it as a last resort. It's a lot bigger and I'll have to cut the oil lines.

I think 5th gen is 2 row, and 6th gen, a 3 row. -- Veefer800Canuck installed a 2nd gen 3 row on his 5th gen, dunno if he's still running it.

I think 5th gen is 2 row, and 6th gen, a 3 row. -- Veefer800Canuck installed a 2nd gen 3 row on his 5th gen, dunno if he's still running it.

Yep, still am, works great! :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

Which RC51 oil cooler you going to use? The '00-'01 SP1 or the '02-'06 SP2?

The 00-01. They are silver and only one port is twisted. The 02-06 are black and both ports are twisted like the 6th gen's.

Here's the three Honda's. From top to bottom. 5th gen - 6th gen - RC51 ('00-'01)

VFRoilcoolermod1Large.jpg

5th gen cooler

5thgenvfroilcooler1Large.jpg

5thgenvfroilcooler2Large.jpg

5thgenvfroilcooler3Large.jpg

5thgenvfroilcooler4Large.jpg

5thgenvfroilcooler5Large.jpg

6th gen

6thgenvfroilcooler1Large.jpg

6thgenvfroilcooler2Large.jpg

6thgenvfroilcooler3Large.jpg

6thgenvfroilcooler4Large.jpg

6thgenvfroilcooler5Large.jpg

RC51

RC51oilcooler1Large.jpg

RC51oilcooler2Large.jpg

RC51oilcooler3Large.jpg

RC51oilcooler4Large.jpg

As you can see. The ports are a tad bigger.

RC51oilcooler5Large.jpg

RC51oilcooler6Large.jpg

GSXR 1000

GSXR1000oilcooler1Large.jpg

GSXR1000oilcooler2Large.jpg

GSXR1000oilcooler3Large.jpg

Edited by Ranger77
  • Like 3

• Member Contributer

I'm gonna stick with my original post.

• Member Contributer

Got her done.

Loosened the stock cooler and let it hang.

VFRoilcoolerswap1Large.jpg

VFRoilcoolerswap10Large.jpg

I was hoping I wouldn't but I had to drain the oil. I tried using an 8mm wrench, but the bolt started stripping. Had to get a socket on them.

VFRoilcoolerswap2Large.jpg

VFRoilcoolerswap3Large.jpg

Once the oil drains, then you can unbolt the oil lines from the engine.

Left side.

VFRoilcoolerswap4Large.jpg

VFRoilcoolerswap6Large.jpg

Right side.

VFRoilcoolerswap5Large.jpg

VFRoilcoolerswap9Large.jpg

Luckily the O-rings look brand new. Not even smashed.

VFRoilcoolerswap8Large.jpg

VFRoilcoolerswap7Large.jpg

Might as well wash the lines. Just tiny spot rust here and there. Maybe I'll order new ones or have them powder coated.

VFRoilcoolerswap11Large.jpg

VFRoilcoolerswap12Large.jpg

VFRoilcoolerswap13Large.jpg

VFRoilcoolerswap14Large.jpg

Edited by Ranger77
  • Like 3

• Member Contributer

Time to temporary mount the RC cooler.

VFRoilcoolerswap15Large.jpg

VFRoilcoolerswap16Large.jpg

The mount on the cooler is more offset than the stock one. It'll be a little closer to the right rad.

VFRoilcoolerswap17Large.jpg

Here's the fun tedious fun part. Bending the lines to fit. You'll be pulling them out and putting back multiple times. The right one I used a rubber mallet. I placed the right oil line on the ground with the cooler mount upward. I smacked it down with the mallet. No science there.

VFRoilcoolerswap18Large.jpg

VFRoilcoolerswap19Large.jpg

The left side you have to twist the oil cooler line where it bolts to the cooler. I used a pair of pliers and my manly strength. Of course a vise would have made it easier.

VFRoilcoolerswap29Large.jpg

Once they're lined up as good as possible, get the engine side ready.

VFRoilcoolerswap20Large.jpg

VFRoilcoolerswap21Large.jpg

The middle o-ring is what I used. I also used one smaller one to fit inside that one. Double the sealing. LOL

VFRoilcoolerswap23Large.jpg

VFRoilcoolerswap24Large.jpg

Bolt the oil cooler lines on first, then bolt the cooler to it's brackets second, and last bolt the engine side of the oil lines.

VFRoilcoolerswap25Large.jpg

VFRoilcoolerswap26Large.jpg

VFRoilcoolerswap27Large.jpg

The right side does have a slight problem. Since the line is lowered from the oil rad being taller.

VFRoilcoolerswap28Large.jpg

The left side has no problem with hitting anything.

VFRoilcoolerswap30Large.jpg

Edited by Ranger77

• 11 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Is a bigger oil cooler always better? I've read that there is an ideal oil temperature, and lower than that is not ideal. Certainly thicker oil and less flow would come to mind.

Anyone got any better knowledge on the science of oil coolers?

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Is a bigger oil cooler always better? I've read that there is an ideal oil temperature, and lower than that is not ideal. Certainly thicker oil and less flow would come to mind.

Good question.

I also wonder how the oil pressure is effected by having an oil cooler with larger diameter piping.

Anyone do a mod like this on a 4th gen?

• Member Contributer

The right side does have a slight problem. Since the line is lowered from the oil rad being taller.

VFRoilcoolerswap28Large.jpg

You have a CA-spec bike? IINM, the interference is being caused by the California-only charcoal canister, with the obvious solution being... :biggrin:

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I thought that the ideal oil temp was in the 185 to 215 degree F range and that if you are lower than that you could be asking for flow and lubrication issues. Dunno if I would go to a 5 row cooler on viffers unless I had an oil temp gauge at the oil filter inlet - thats where it runs the oil to the bearings. I would want to keep an eye on things.

• Member Contributer

Well ya'll are not fun. :goofy:

Sry - didnt mean to be the turd in the punch bowl, just throwing out some stuff to think about.

• Member Contributer

It's all good. It's 100F here regular here during the summer and stop and go traffic doesn't help. During the winter I just watch my temp gauge and just block off until the temp holds as high as possible.

• 9 months later...

Sorry to bring up a pretty old thread, but what was the verdict with this MOD? I know it bugs the crap out of me when I see my 5th gen start going up past 215*F

• Member Contributer

Sorry to bring up a pretty old thread, but what was the verdict with this MOD? I know it bugs the crap out of me when I see my 5th gen start going up past 215*F

Since the 6th gen uses a 3 row cooler, it probly wouldnt hurt to a least bump up to at least a 3 row on a 5th gen. Also I hear that the 6th gen radiators are larger than the 5th.

Since the 6th gen uses a 3 row cooler, it probly wouldnt hurt to a least bump up to at least a 3 row on a 5th gen. Also I hear that the 6th gen radiators are larger than the 5th.

I was actually considering doing the RC51 oil cooler depending on his report of how it worked, the mounting setup just looks so much simpler than trying to fit the 6th generation

I bought the RC51 cooler last year after running in consecutive 117 deg days. That coupled with the fan running the wrong way, effectively blocking one radiator made the engine & me very uncomfortable. I changed to the VTR fan immediately but not the cooler. I bought another set of oil lines & will but both on when the temps get really hot on my summer rides.

That way I can change from one to the other when I change the oil & not have to worry about the engine running too cool or too hot.

I put a 3 row cooler on my 5th gen probably 12 years ago and it's been great ever since. Not as large as an RC 51 unit, but if you are in the desert and it 100 degrees, I could see it being handy for sure.

Riding in near freezing temps, not so much.

When I have ridden in cold temps, my bike goes up to 83'C, the thermostat cracks open, then drops to 79'C, then slowly back up to 83 again.

You can watch the thermostat cycle over and over again. No idea what the oil temp is though, I haven't got a gauge.

http://www.thurn-motorsport.de/html/motor-rc46-1.html

Oltemperaturdirektmesser_gesamt.jpg

I might try this from thurn before I do the swap to see if I get a change.

Mello Dude said above that he thought that ideal oil temps are between 185 and 215, but that sounds like the radiator fluid temp that the bike reads out on the display? I'm not saying that he is wrong, I just don't know. Anybody else have any imput?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Thurn stuff is good..

I am using/trial fitting a smaller rad from a monkey bike on a 4th gen right now.. as i want a reposition.

A loop of the oil cooler pipes was on the cards a short while back and still might be yet once i have plumbed in the electric water pump. These have been noted to keep the water temps down further. So hoping it might promote further cooler running oil???

But agreeing with a similar thread oil cooling to the head sounds attractive.

It is narrower and has an extra row, so roughly a similar size/volume to a standard 4th gen oil cooler. The hose line holes are 2mm smaller on entry and exit, unlike the rc51 items mentioned above which are slightly larger.

Its been in 3 different positions this month but am still not 100% about it still.

Have also thought that a 2mm smaller diameter might cause pressure problems.. but am thinking it can only increase pressure.

If pressure is too great the oil pressure valve should give relief.

So no problems there right????

I can only assume there might also be a slight change in oil levels to fill the larger oil rad and hoses?

A decrease in my case as am using a touch smaller rad.

Track time is coming up in 2 weeks, just hope i am happy with the next trial fit as its the only part slowing me down right now.