Ditching the coffins

Guest Mysta2

Guest Mysta2

I cut myself some clipons for my '94 in order to better fit my RC30 glass.

I would like to eventually go ahead with a full on USD front end but in the mean time what do you recommend for handling the fluid reservoirs? Can I swap out just the levers and reservoirs without swapping the front brakes entirely? And even if I do have to go full on with matching levers and brakes (and possibly forks), how would I handle the clutch?

post-20049-099380200 1279210209_thumb.jp

• 2 months later...

You can use whatever you want, as long as the piston bore size is the same(marked on the underside of the master). Make sure the brake light /clutch switches are compatible too.

Yes, but doesn't have to be exact, although I'd go bigger rather than smaller. The bigger the master, the more pressure down at the calipers for the same input on the lever, smaller is less...

As to the brake light switch, you can get an inline version if you need to. It's a replacement Banjo with a pressure switch in it.

You can use whatever you want, as long as the piston bore size is the same(marked on the underside of the master). Make sure the brake light /clutch switches are compatible too.

Yes, but doesn't have to be exact, although I'd go bigger rather than smaller. The bigger the master, the more pressure down at the calipers for the same input on the lever, smaller is less...

As to the brake light switch, you can get an inline version if you need to. It's a replacement Banjo with a pressure switch in it.

Sorry, that is not correct.

A larger master cylinder will cause a decrease in hydraulic ratio. This will increase lever effort for a given amount of braking force.

A smaller master cylinder will increase the lever ratio, thereby DECREASING lever effort for a given amount of braking force, the tradeoff being longer lever travel to accomplish the same braking load.

Best to stay with the same diameter as was provided with your calipers from the factory.

graphics1.png

http://cnx.org/content/m31723/latest/

Cylinder bores must match for brakes and clutch. As far as a hydrolic clutch goes the slave cylinder "ratio" must be compatable as well. I am looking into doing a clutch resevoir conversion but I have not had the time to track down what will work.

As far as the brake resevoir goes. Personally, I would wait and decide if you are going to do a front end swap. That will dictate what your braking "system" will be and you will be able to plan accordingly.

But on the 3rd (I believe they are the same as 4th generation) specs are as follows per the service manual.

Brake masters are (mm/inch) ; Master cylinder ID = 12.700-12.743 (0.5000-0.5017) - Master Cylinder OD = 12.657-12.684 (0.4983 - 0.04994)

Clutch Master are (mm/inch) ; Master cylinder ID = 14.000-14.043 (0.5512-0.5529) - Master Cylinder OD = 13.957-13.984 (0.5495 - 0.5506)

I was hoping to use an RC51 clutch master I have but the RC51 master is smaller then the VFR version.

I've heard that the Superhawk (VTR1000) clutch is a match to the VFR, and right now I'm using a VTR brake master with my 954 front end

Perfect! That clutch master will work...... It also looks like after 2004 they switched to the "coffin" style. Thanks Mr. Matt

Super Hawk Clutch specs...

Clutch master Cylinder specs - Clutch Master ID - 14.OOO - 14.043 (0.5512 - 0.5529)

Clutch Master OD - 13.957 - 13.984 (0.5495 - 0.5506)

http://www.superhawk996.net/Honda_VTR1000F_Service_Manual.pdf

Edited by VIFFER93

• Member Contributer

good info

I'm with everything Rob says, with one small exception: If you're interested in changing brake feel juggling mc to slave ratios is a good way to do it. If you the brakes are too sensitive you can move to a mc with a larger piston or a different lever leverage ratio. By the same token, if you want more sensitive (in a sense more powerful) brakes you can use a MC with smaller bore.

• Member Contributer

Cylinder bores must match for brakes and clutch. As far as a hydrolic clutch goes the slave cylinder "ratio" must be compatable as well. I am looking into doing a clutch resevoir conversion but I have not had the time to track down what will work.

As far as the brake resevoir goes. Personally, I would wait and decide if you are going to do a front end swap. That will dictate what your braking "system" will be and you will be able to plan accordingly.

But on the 3rd (I believe they are the same as 4th generation) specs are as follows per the service manual.

Brake masters are (mm/inch) ; Master cylinder ID = 12.700-12.743 (0.5000-0.5017) - Master Cylinder OD = 12.657-12.684 (0.4983 - 0.04994)

Clutch Master are (mm/inch) ; Master cylinder ID = 14.000-14.043 (0.5512-0.5529) - Master Cylinder OD = 13.957-13.984 (0.5495 - 0.5506)

I was hoping to use an RC51 clutch master I have but the RC51 master is smaller then the VFR version.

The 5G '98-'99 manual lists the same clutch bore size, 14mm. I've been running an RC51 clutch master for years w/out any issues.

• Member Contributer

I had a remote reservoir brake master cylinder on my VTR1000F-forked RC36 for a while, but ended up going back to a "coffin" master cylinder because the remote res was always getting in the way. Bling sacrificed for practicality--I know, I have sinned! :biggrin:

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

The 5G '98-'99 manual lists the same clutch bore size, 14mm. I've been running an RC51 clutch master for years w/out any issues.

It's the same clutch slave cylinder, too.

This is good. I might give it a try because I have one available but for brakes I think it is much more important to make sure you have things match.

Edited by VIFFER93

• Member Contributer

This is good. I might give it a try because I have one available but for brakes I think it is much more important to make sure you have things match.

I've tried mismatching brake masters before and won't do that again!