VF500 Exhaust

GazVF500

I also would like to see your front head pipes somewhat longer but like what you've done.

Looks like with the placement of the engine's sump, that may have been challenging to say the least.

Yes, the length of the front primaries is limited somewhat not just by the sump but also by the frame rail and fairing lower. Obviously, originally there would have been 1 pipe running through that space - now there's 2!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I also would like to see your front head pipes somewhat longer but like what you've done.

Looks like with the placement of the engine's sump, that may have been challenging to say the least.

Yes, the length of the front primaries is limited somewhat not just by the sump but also by the frame rail and fairing lower. Obviously, originally there would have been 1 pipe running through that space - now there's 2!

It will be interesting to see how the jetting will change as you tune the engine for the new exhaust.

If I could ask, what set of carburetors will you be installing (i.e. 32mm or 30mm)?

Again, super nice work. Kudos!

It will be interesting to see how the jetting will change as you tune the engine for the new exhaust. If I could ask, what set of carburetors will you be installing (i.e. 32mm or 30mm)? Again, super nice work. Kudos!

The bike is an '86, so at the moment I plan to use the original carbs (are these the 30's?). Has anyone tried using the earlier carbs on a later bike? Does it make a difference?

• Member Contributer

Here are the carb specs:

vf500f84serialnumbervfrworld04-29-1.jpg

vf5008586serialnumbervfrworld04-29-.jpg

From what I have read the 32mm carburetors are good upgrade on the stock engine. These may be a good fit for your new exhaust system as well but I agree best to start with the 30mm carbs and not change too many things at once.

• Member Contributer

Actually I started a post on this here:-

http://www.vfrdiscus...__fromsearch__1

and it seems that I have the VD41A carbs - so according to your table could they already have been swapped?

I am not as familiar with the UK VF500FII. If I could suggest measure the bore and check the main jets, jet needles, idle jets and emulsion tubes. This should give you the intel needed to verify what you have.

Actually I started a post on this here:- http://www.vfrdiscus...__fromsearch__1 and it seems that I have the VD41A carbs - so according to your table could they already have been swapped?
I am not as familiar with the UK VF500FII. If I could suggest measure the bore and check the main jets, jet needles, idle jets and emulsion tubes. This should give you the intel needed to verify what you have.

I'll try and do that tonight and post back. The plot thickens....

It's great to have a forum with such knowledgeable people on it!!

• Member Contributer

Since it's a 4-2-1 or a tri-y the individual head pipe length can and should be shorter. They all don't merge and jump up to collector size like a 4-1, the pairs step up and then merge. Different program to figure all this out.

I checked all the components last night.

Carbs are 30mm bore:-

th_DSC00829.jpg

Carbs are all marked VD41A

th_DSC00831.jpg

Front cylinders use a 90 main jet, 38 idle jet and unmarked emulsion tubes with equally spaced holes, as you can see here:-

th_DSC00835.jpg

Rear cylinders use a 92 main jet, 38 idle jet and unmarked emulsion tubes. These are different to the front tubes by having two holes closer together, as i hope you can see here:-

th_DSC00846.jpg

All carbs are using 3JV needles, and 2.6mm float valve seat diameter.

• Member Contributer

Also, I have this info from a previous carb thread on VFRWorld which noted the specs for European FSM (I haven't verified this with the actual manual being in the US and all).

Model No. VD41A - 30mm Throttle Bore, 6.8mm Float, 95F/92R Main

• 9 months later...

Following your VF build now, but this is a great thread on the exhaust build. Have a friend that does custom HD work, specializes in exhausts and watching first hand the efforts involved there (which a V-Twin is worlds easier than a complicated V-4 build), can fully appreciate your from scratch build up.

Had I seen this thread earlier in your quest, I could have posted some pics from a vintage Hindle catalog I still have that shows the Hindle 4-1 fairly well. The full V&H 4-2 system I ran back in the mid 1980s on my VF500 was closer to equal length than the original Kerker 4-2 systems for the VF750s that had the right side exit for the rear bank much longer than the left side pipe.

HRC did quite a bit of exhaust tweaking when you look at the evolution of the HRC race bikes (Moriwaki too from that era) during the VF/VFR builds. 4-2 and 4-1 variants often from weekend to weekend (180 vs. 360 cranks as well). My wife thinks I'm nuts when she finds me in the basement from time to time reading Road Racing World and Cycle/Cycle World magazines from the 1980s that I still have stashed, amazing some of the fine details you can still pick out after all these years in the photos.

• Member Contributer
Had I seen this thread earlier in your quest, I could have posted some pics from a vintage Hindle catalog I still have that shows the Hindle 4-1 fairly well. The full V&H 4-2 system I ran back in the mid 1980s on my VF500 was closer to equal length than the original Kerker 4-2 systems for the VF750s that had the right side exit for the rear bank much longer than the left side pipe.

Please post! Thanks, lsc86.

On a side note, here's what I've come up with for VF500F exhaust systems from back in the day:

Hindle 4-1, requires a modification to stock chin cowling (a slot cut into the right side), mounts to oil pan - possibly two versions: '84/'85 and '86 (see note below)

Kerker 4-2, paired with cylinders 1|3 and 2|4 *considered the best pairing for 4-2 systems*

Mac 4-2

SuperTrapp 4-2, equal length system (staggered mufflers)

Vance & Hines 4-2, paired with cylinders 1|2 and 3|4

Yoshimura 4-1 (Japan only) and 4-2, paired with cylinders 1|3 and 2|4 *considered the best pairing for 4-2 systems*

From what I have read the Yoshimura and Hindle systems require the removal of the centerstand. The V&H does not (it does require an easily fabricated stop for the centerstand) .

The Yosh system looks to have been designed for the shallower '84/'85 oil pan. Not sure about the Hindle or the V&H, or if versions of the Yosh, Hindle and V&H were made specifically for the '86

• Member Contributer

Good list IC.

I had a Basani exhaust for my VF750F, nit sure if they made one for the 500 also.

• 3 years later...
  • Member Contributer

We never had a video to see and hear it run did we? :goofy:

(yes it is an old thread but with the bikes parked up I'm just digging through the archives here.....)

Archived