VFR1200F - Centerstand Install

• Forum CEO

med_gallery_491_3604_555621.jpg

Center stand installed and lifting the bike up

These are the steps to installing an oem centerstand for a VFR1200F Part Number 08M50-MGE-100 This retails for around $200 delivered, I got mine from ServiceHonda.com. Before even attempting to do this MAKE SURE THE BIKE HAS COOLED OFF you will be working around the headers and you will burn yourself if its hot!

gallery_491_3604_495177.jpg

Centerstand parts and instructions

gallery_491_3604_724631.jpg

Inner and outter springs main spring and a safety spring that fits inside

gallery_491_3604_928962.jpg

Should the main spring break the smaller saftey spring inside will keep the centerstand up so that the centerstand does not fall during riding causing an accident

gallery_491_3604_119991.jpg

Bump pad wet with soapy water to install inside the hole in the stand

gallery_491_3604_223683.jpg

Twist and push on the bump pad until the pad seats itself inside the hole

gallery_491_3604_600533.jpg

Grease the post holes

gallery_491_3604_893714.jpg

Grease the other post hole

gallery_491_3604_380431.jpg

This is where you will install the center stand post goes inside that large hole and the spring hook in the upper smaller threaded hole

gallery_491_3604_1019078.jpg

I used Honda thread lock on the spring hook bolt I dont want it falling out

The bolt is a 14mm bolt and the torque spec is 16 foot/lbs

gallery_491_3604_18753.jpg

Dry fit This is the basic layout of the centerstand mechanism

gallery_491_3604_106895.jpg

Here I am trying to install 1 of 2 washers on the right side washer 1 goes inside the right stand post hole 2 on the outside of same post hole

gallery_491_3604_326819.jpg

I had difficulty holding the washer in place so I taped it in place with masking tape

gallery_491_3604_108896.jpg

washer 1 taped into place

gallery_491_3604_288894.jpg

I slid the post into the post holes fitting washer #2 was also a chore not much room with the headers there

gallery_491_3604_606273.jpg

side the cotter pin into the hole in the post right side fingers or use a needle nose

gallery_491_3604_523551.jpg

cotter pin goes here right side

gallery_491_3604_190257.jpg

spreading out the cotter pin ends is difficult to reach a flat head screw driver did the job from the front on the right side of the bike

gallery_491_3604_258503.jpg

installing the springs I used an old spring installer my Grandpa had for drum brakes - instructions call for two persons to install the springs

gallery_491_3604_249990.jpg

The safety spring did not go on the first time needle nose pliers for that

center stand.pdf

• Like 5

• 6 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Do you need some extra dirt, grease, oil, or maybe just some bug splatters to go with that new bike? It's still sooooo clean I'd almost swear you ain't ridin it. I'm sure I could scrape off some sprocket goo and send it to you if you need some extra to smear on the pretty shaft drive...just so you remember what is like to have chain drive.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest fasterspider

The center stand was the 1st accessory I bought for my 1200F last June, installing it was a breeze.

Making us pay extra for something {The Center Stand} we used to throw away is a rotten thing for Honda to do. :mad:

• Forum CEO

The center stand was the 1st accessory I bought for my 1200F last June, installing it was a breeze.

Making us pay extra for something {The Center Stand} we used to throw away is a rotten thing for Honda to do. :mad:

I dont know if they did that as a so called "rotten thing to do", it was said in another thread that since the bike has no chain there is no need for a center stand since lubing a chain is no longer nessisary. I tend to agree with that, and well many vfr riders removed it as you stated so why put somthing on like that on a bike that many riders dont want and no longer need? I need one cause I change my own tires and taking off the rear tire and even the front having the center stand on makes that possible.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have seen the weight of the center stand mentioned in several threads and I figured this thread would be a good place to post the weight of the stand including all installation hardware:

5 +/- 0.5 lbs

In terms of gasoline that is ~ 0.8 gallons of gas on an equivalent weight basis.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...
Guest NZTitanium

Humm, I got mine today and it does not fit properly. I cannot get the spacer washer in between the stand and the mount. Taking it back to the supplier tomorrow to show him and try and get him to fix it.

• 8 months later...

I have seen the weight of the center stand mentioned in several threads and I figured this thread would be a good place to post the weight of the stand including all installation hardware:

5 +/- 0.5 lbs

In terms of gasoline that is ~ 0.8 gallons of gas on an equivalent weight basis.

Or 3 cheeseburgers settled around my gut.

• Haha 1

• 7 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Thanks to Hispanic Slammer for posting these install pics. They were a good point of reference as my centerstand install turned out to take a little longer than I thought.

Humm, I got mine today and it does not fit properly. I cannot get the spacer washer in between the stand and the mount. Taking it back to the supplier tomorrow to show him and try and get him to fix it.

I encountered this same scenario. Try as I might, the supplied washer was simply too thick, or tolerance on the post hole sleeve was a tad off. I couldn't believe this, after trying six ways from Sunday to wedge the washer in the clearance between stand and mount. I wound up using a 4" grinder to remove about 1/16" from the post hole sleeve on the side adjacent to the washer and deburred it with a dremel tool. After that, there was enough clearance to fit the washer.

The spring wound up being a lot easier to fit than I imagined. A little finesse with a short phillips screwdriver to guide it onto the spring attachment point on the stand made it easy.

The silly cotter pin was the hardest part. The Honda instructions indicated to insert the pin from from the front of the bike to back. Darn near impossible because there's no room to position a set of needle nose pliers from the front side with the exhaust headers in the way. In hindsight, I should've just inserted the pin from back to front and called it good. After pondering about how I would get the pin in from the front, I took a long piece of thin copper wire, threaded it through the cotter pin hole from back to front, took out the soldering iron and soldered the tail end of the cotter pin to the wire. This allowed me to thread the cotter pin in reverse like needle and thread. After the pin was in, it was easy to spread the cotter pin from the accessible backside.

I am so happy to have a centerstand on the 1200 now. I've become so accustomed to having a centerstand on my other bikes, that I can't imagine doing things like maintenance and bike cleaning without one.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
  • Member Contributer

Installed my center stand today also with a GPR exhaust. The hardest part to me was working on the ground with no lift and installing the springs. With some muscle and strength I managed. Cotter pin was no problem. I used a long angled tip needle nose and bent it properly. Then fully flattened with a thin flat head screw driver. I was sweating my rump off in the Florida heat burning calories but under the shade. Anyways great oem center stand. Will be able to do maintenance easier now. The exhaust is a growler but not overly loud and looks amazing. I did not install the top and inner baffles and sounds just right. Light as as a feather in weight as well from the clunky heavy oem exhaust. GPR's quality and craftsmanship is awesome. Attention to detail was great. My exhaust came with a tag with the build birth date and my name on it. A certificate of authenticity. They take much pride and dedicated work in their exhausts and i highly recommend them. After I clean up my bike I will post some photos later. Thank you HispanicSlammer for making this photo instructional. Ride safe y'all. 

• 4 years later...