It's official

Flanker

• Member Contributer

Yep, saw that one coming and have done it myself. It doesn't help that MSF teaches regular use of the kill switch. Even so, I still got caught even on my Ninja that has no known regular electrical faults! With my 6th gen, my usual give away is the dash panel powering up, but no FI light or fuel pump sound.

I always shut the engine off using the kill switch so that will not likely happen to me. I do however run out of fuel on occasion :491: :

BTW: Possession of a vuvuzela should become a criminal offence,

The sound of vuvzelas is not as bad as that of some Dutch football hooligans during a (club) match.

And some orange vuvuzelas have quite a nice sound to them, although also a bit loud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIonyDQLldA&feature=player_embedded

I always turn off the kill switch to turn off my bike as it was part of my MSF training when I learned to ride.

Same here. I notice we are in a very small minority. I think I am the only rider out of 20+ at work that shuts off the bike with the kill switch. Makes for some fun. Every few months I switch my buddy's kill switch off when I leave at the end of the day. He has never figured out who is doing it, but he spends less time trouble shooting now! :491:

I'm in that same minority as well (apparently) as that's the only way I shut off The Knight Saber. The same was true for Charlotte & Angela when I was riding them. I wonder why we're the minority?

BOT - I've done something similar on the highway...once! It took me about 100 yards of coasting down from 60 Mph to figure out just what was going on & then I was ok.

• Member Contributer

I always turn off the kill switch to turn off my bike as it was part of my MSF training when I learned to ride.

Same here. I notice we are in a very small minority. I think I am the only rider out of 20+ at work that shuts off the bike with the kill switch. :491:

I do the same (kill switch, then key). Hope that's not all I remember from my MSF class!

• Member Contributer

I do however run out of fuel on occasion :491: :

I've been working (subconciously) on running out of gas for quite some time now. Should have happened many, many times already, but just hasn't. I'm sure it will eventually, like when I'm in the middle of Death Valley or some such place. I do know that flipping the kill switch to "on" will not help if you run out of gas.

I too have had acute episodes of KSD ("Kill Switch Dysfunction".)

PLUS I've 'discovered' a couple variations to this disorder:

In August 2007 while riding through a rural area of PA late at night, the temp became rather chill.

Stopped in small business parking lot to don heavy jacket and gloves, lit out again but the bike suddenly died as I went up through the gears... "Oh SHIT!"

Sorted things after a minute or two. Culprit?

Cold hands in unfamiliar gloves... Accidentally hit the kill switch while blipping throttle off between shifts!

Just last week I went to try start after much work on my '96... nothing! :huh:

One of my alterations was the garage door opener I equipped the bike with actuated by a red push button installed in the right switch cluster where non-US bikes have a headlight on/off switch.

picture007.jpg

Guess which button I'd been pushing?! :biggrin:

Archived