RV4?

Guest gate2hell

• Member Contributer

Adding some pictures of the RV4, the guy who's riding my bike is a former superbike rider in Germany H.Müller and he loved it. He praised the torque and the ridebility, passing the gixxer on the outside in the curve, catched a 916 and R1 a little later and passed them easily

Looks like your running a total loss system, as well as the new water pump. Should be an awesome crisp ride.

I am also very surprised the way my VFR also powers past other bigger bikes of similar era on the track. Not sure about the latest track 600s tho.

Are there any compromises you have had to make in the build due to cost or reliability issues ?

No compromises! it's gonna be the bike for the track! It will leave 600 's behind when I'm finished, hitting the target 155 bhp with 140 kg or less I don't think it will be a big issue.

remember HRC took 185 hp out of the RC45 engine and didn't have breakdown as far as I can recall, it's basicly the same engine.

The exhaust is beautiful. Titanium? What are those rear sets? This is definitely a 4th gen motor, or a 5th gen in a 4th gen frame?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Adding some pictures of the RV4, the guy who's riding my bike is a former superbike rider in Germany H.Müller and he loved it. He praised the torque and the ridebility, passing the gixxer on the outside in the curve, catched a 916 and R1 a little later and passed them easily

Looks like your running a total loss system, as well as the new water pump. Should be an awesome crisp ride.

I am also very surprised the way my VFR also powers past other bigger bikes of similar era on the track. Not sure about the latest track 600s tho.

Are there any compromises you have had to make in the build due to cost or reliability issues ?

No compromises! it's gonna be the bike for the track! It will leave 600 's behind when I'm finished, hitting the target 155 bhp with 140 kg or less I don't think it will be a big issue.

remember HRC took 185 hp out of the RC45 engine and didn't have breakdown as far as I can recall, it's basicly the same engine.

The exhaust is beautiful. Titanium? What are those rear sets? This is definitely a 4th gen motor, or a 5th gen in a 4th gen frame?

The exhaust is a prototype in steel for testing another one in titanium is under production and will be applied when the test phase is over, the frame and engine are 1995 mod, I was thinking of fitting a VTEC with fuel injection but it wouldn't fit, maybe someone know how to adapt a injectionsystem to a 95mod engine? The rear set is for Aprillia

you can check www.bike.no/racing in Bresse for videos with sound only 10 sec long , but start longing for more

I am very impressed, very nice work. I'm also a fan of the 4th gen and have one I'm building up and plan to have fun with since I already have a good commuter/touring 4th gen. First I want to get it going and then start swapping out some parts for weight savings, ultimate dream of boring the pistons but that will probably have to wait until I'm rich and famous.

I'm interested in the water pump modification first, how much work was involved with this, and did you re-route the hoses? I can imagine you could save a bit of weight since you don't have to use the stock water pump position.

Edit: Just saw the water pump location in the pic. Two more questions though, is that the stock radiator, and where is the oil radiator placed?

• Member Contributer

All sounds very impressive. I was curious to see how much faster this bike would be compared to production supersport bikes. Sounds like with a decent rider it should easily hold its own against the 600's and maybe larger bikes.

I have one question. Why did you choose the 4th gen? If I was to build a VFR track bike, I would want to start with a 5th gen VFR because of the fuel injection and slightly larger engine. Then again, I don't think I would have spent nearly as much time or money as you have.

• Member Contributer

All sounds very impressive. I was curious to see how much faster this bike would be compared to production supersport bikes. Sounds like with a decent rider it should easily hold its own against the 600's and maybe larger bikes.

I have one question. Why did you choose the 4th gen? If I was to build a VFR track bike, I would want to start with a 5th gen VFR because of the fuel injection and slightly larger engine. Then again, I don't think I would have spent nearly as much time or money as you have.

I would think the 4th gen frame would be a better choice for a sport bike. The fifth and sixth gen swing arms bolt to the engine, so the frame is really just supporting the front suspension and all the other crap bolted to it. I've heard Honda did this on purpose to give the frame some flex.

What I've been wondering lately is if a 5th gen engine could be stuffed into a CBR600RR, or SP1/SP2 chassis!

Personally I am looking at fitting a 4th gen engine into a CBR900 frame. I'm making some headway and am in the middle of measuring up the CBR900 frame to see if it is possible. The CBR900 is lightweight, has sports ergonomics and suspension (esp when fitted with USD front) and can be fitted with a VFR SSS to boot. All it needs is a V4, and some RC45 bodywork and I'd have a very capable RC45 rep! Just need to squeeze some more poke out of the motor is all.

• Member Contributer

Personally I am looking at fitting a 4th gen engine into a CBR900 frame. I'm making some headway and am in the middle of measuring up the CBR900 frame to see if it is possible. The CBR900 is lightweight, has sports ergonomics and suspension (esp when fitted with USD front) and can be fitted with a VFR SSS to boot. All it needs is a V4, and some RC45 bodywork and I'd have a very capable RC45 rep! Just need to squeeze some more poke out of the motor is all.

That statement is going to require some pictures my friend! There's a popular saying on this site "without pics, it doesn't exist!"

I would think the 4th gen frame would be a better choice for a sport bike. The fifth and sixth gen swing arms bolt to the engine, so the frame is really just supporting the front suspension and all the other crap bolted to it. I've heard Honda did this on purpose to give the frame some flex.

What I've been wondering lately is if a 5th gen engine could be stuffed into a CBR600RR, or SP1/SP2 chassis!

I settled for 4th gen, because it's stable, it's fairly light when remove the parts which you don't need´, and it's goodlooking ! :beer:

I am very impressed, very nice work. I'm also a fan of the 4th gen and have one I'm building up and plan to have fun with since I already have a good commuter/touring 4th gen. First I want to get it going and then start swapping out some parts for weight savings, ultimate dream of boring the pistons but that will probably have to wait until I'm rich and famous.

I'm interested in the water pump modification first, how much work was involved with this, and did you re-route the hoses? I can imagine you could save a bit of weight since you don't have to use the stock water pump position.

Edit: Just saw the water pump location in the pic. Two more questions though, is that the stock radiator, and where is the oil radiator placed?

It's a stock radiator, for the moment it will get a bigger one it's ok in europe in spring but due to the waterpump it's running cooler than normal, I have bigger radiator waiting, oil cooler was'nt needed either, oil temp in high 70 to low 80 C, in rather cool weather conditions 18 C. but everything is prepared I have big oilcooler from a BMW SS1000 which should fit easily. :beer:

It does! 4th gen you find everywhere, so parts is available at fairly decent price and modefing it is relatively easy, the swingarm linkeage needed a lot alu welding, the subframe , as you can see on the pic's the same.

• 2 weeks later...

I can inform you all! The RV4 is in current condition, 1,5 to 2 secs faster than gsxr 750 and RC51 on tricky track, with decent riders on , it will eat gixxers for breakfast, s1000rr for lunch and fireblades for afternoon snacks and and sit down in the evening with Aprilia RSV4 having a cigar and a brandy.

V-4 rules the track!

post-20541-032056000 1279531970_thumb.jp

post-20541-022523400 1279532198_thumb.jp

2009-honda-other-honda-rv4.jpg

It's a 4th gen chassis and engine, looks like an aftermarket Gixxer race tail, front cylinders exiting out the belly exhaust, rears out the tail exhaust.

Fairings look like CBR pattern bodywork, not sure about the fuel tank.

Ohlins forks, Brembo calipers, Beringer rotors, and a Gixxer swingarm out back.

Those are my best stabs in the dark. Seb will be along soon to correct me.

Nice trackbike, totally impractical as an all-rounder, but I like it!

It's not Beringer, it's BRAKETECH it's not a Gixxer tail, it's CBR 600 carbonpiece from Alpha technik in Bayern (Bavaria), the swingarm from a R1

That statement is going to require some pictures my friend! There's a popular saying on this site "without pics, it doesn't exist!"

Well that's right... no pics and it doesn't exist. :-P Except in my dreams. The 'head way' I am making is in feasibility studies measuring up the VFR motor and CBR frame etc.

• Member Contributer

:cheerleader:

It's not Beringer, it's BRAKETECH it's not a Gixxer tail, it's CBR 600 carbonpiece from Alpha technik in Bayern (Bavaria), the swingarm from a R1

What do you think the weight savings is on the 1.swingarm.... 2.tail....... 3. tank...... 4. Deletion of the head light stuff??/

Um, no !!!! please.

Thanks, your bike is very cool. :fing02:

I was guessing at all that from only the one picture.......

• Member Contributer

...and the weight is 140 kg which should be est 280 lbs, it has amercian Braketech rotors (carbon/ceramic), beringers they are to heavy, body work comes...

...clutch which is needed, and a quickshifter and I'm hunting for more BHP, which should 155-60 when I'm finished. I did this because of Hondas lack of interest in sporting V4 for the common man, or a V5 for that matter. The rest is cloak and dagger stuff, not yet for the public

Ehm... :cheerleader: some pics of the exhaust system?

Ciao, Luigi.

http://rides.superstreetbike.com/ride/1195060/hondarv4/2009/honda/other-honda/index.html

does anyone knows who bike this is? cause i have a bunch of question on how he (or she did it). sure looks sweet.

Yes I'm here!

and the weight is 140 kg which should be est 280 lbs, it has amercian Braketech rotors (carbon/ceramic), beringers they are to heavy, body work comes all from ALFA technik in Bavaria, 43 mm Öhlins the very same as on the ducati 1098, Under the tankcover you find a 3 gallon aluminium tank, specially made for me, by Alu sauer as the linkage , I just had it on the racetrack in France, Bresse, which went fairly well I must say. it doesn't have Nitro injection. it has a Dynojet kit with 155 main jets, it's breathing trough a special made airbox, remember this is not a roadbike, I still haven't a slipper clutch which is needed, and a quickshifter and I'm hunting for more BHP, which should 155-60 when I'm finished. I did this because of Hondas lack of interest in sporting V4 for the common man, or a V5 for that matter. The rest is cloak and dagger stuff, not yet for the public

Do you have pics of the fuel tank and air box?

http://rides.superstreetbike.com/ride/1195060/hondarv4/2009/honda/other-honda/index.html

does anyone knows who bike this is? cause i have a bunch of question on how he (or she did it). sure looks sweet.

Yes I'm here!

and the weight is 140 kg which should be est 280 lbs, it has amercian Braketech rotors (carbon/ceramic), beringers they are to heavy, body work comes all from ALFA technik in Bavaria, 43 mm Öhlins the very same as on the ducati 1098, Under the tankcover you find a 3 gallon aluminium tank, specially made for me, by Alu sauer as the linkage , I just had it on the racetrack in France, Bresse, which went fairly well I must say. it doesn't have Nitro injection. it has a Dynojet kit with 155 main jets, it's breathing trough a special made airbox, remember this is not a roadbike, I still haven't a slipper clutch which is needed, and a quickshifter and I'm hunting for more BHP, which should 155-60 when I'm finished. I did this because of Hondas lack of interest in sporting V4 for the common man, or a V5 for that matter. The rest is cloak and dagger stuff, not yet for the public

Do you have pics of the fuel tank and air box?

Sorry, not for the moment , but I can make one

have you gotten any wiser?

holy crap i come back from the "sand box" and i missed all this? oh yes wise indeed, but not at your level. i been itching to start a project bike but i cant seem to get a good price on a 6 gen that i can tear apart. have you every thought about using a vf1000r engine?

have you gotten any wiser?

holy crap i come back from the "sand box" and i missed all this? oh yes wise indeed, but not at your level. i been itching to start a project bike but i cant seem to get a good price on a 6 gen that i can tear apart. have you every thought about using a vf1000r engine?

Hi

I was thinking along the same lines as you, but for me the easy way out was taking a vfr 750 because of the frame, which isn't heavy and modfiy for a conventional swingarm and linkeage, the monoside is far to heavy, although it looks good.

The vf1000r engine is a masterpiece of engeneering, but hard to fit in a 4th gen vfr frame. Have you checked my links? I would go for a 4th gen, my bike works perfect on two different tracklayouts, so I bet I hit right on, and I do love my bike, it looks good, it goes well and as long as it holds it grounds against bigger bikes, I'm satisfied.

If you want to go the same way as I, expect some problems on the tank, and airbox, I had my custom made.

Keep me informed if go for the vf1000r ? I would love to know

J

• 1 month later...

Wow !!!

Just found your topic.....

I have seen some parts on your bike which also can be replaced by lighter parts....

The weight is 140kg for the moment and will be lighter!!!!

J

Hello,

This is my new project, after the rc45 replica, Nico Bakker vfr and the repsol v-tec.

this is a vfr 800 v-tec with a faring from a sc59.

Regards Rob

Netherlands

post-21028-089998800 1283761862_thumb.jp

Archived