Factory Pro EVO Shift Star kit

kaldek

• Member Contributer

I put a shift kit into my 5th gen as I found the shifting sloppy and slow. There is no question in my mind that the shift kit made a huge difference to my riding enjoyment, my VFR is a joy to shift as a result.

• 2 years later...
  • Member Contributer

Hmm... Can't say I ever felt the shifting was a problem at any time in the 10 years I've owned a VFR. Stock setup always seems smooth to me.

Very very few false neutrals over that time. I do agree that lazy shifting habits could be a cause of perceived  problems. Fresh high quality oil and purposeful shifting technique should

be SOP  (standard operating procedure).  The kit looks to be high quality though. I would like to think if there is/was a problem, Honda would have updated it over the life of the bike. Anyway I think i'll spend the money on a MOSFET  Rectifier/Regulator.   To each his own I say.

• Member Contributer

I had a 3rd  gen for 80-90K miles and shifting on the 5th is rougher. Not a problem, just not as good. I was able to pop down gears without the throttle and it was smooth and consistent, and upshifts were super consistent and quick. I shift the way Jason Pridmore taught me and he could do clutchless downsifts on a 4th gen, on a stand with the rear wheel in the air, that are so smooth you can't even see any chain lash. I rode on the back with him at Laguna Seca and you only knew he downshifted because you could hear it, there wasn't the slightest bit of roughness you could feel regardless of how hard or gentle his braking, and I actively practiced for years to try and achieve that level of smoothness.

I can still do OK on the current bike, but the downshifts are just not as easy to do. This isn't lazy, it's me actively practicing my shifting and noticing a difference.

So, yeah, if you're fine, good on ya. Enjoy your bike. But don't discount our perceptions.

I also have a busted bolt (one of the LONG ones on the clutch actuator that the previous owner overtorqued), so I have to pull all that crap off anyway to drill it out. So the decision is easier for me. If I'm doing that work imma fuck with the shift star while I'm at it.

• Like 2