Here's one for you Helibar/Convertibar guys...

SEBSPEED

Just saw this on customfighters.com & thought it could transfer pretty well to a VFR.

This guy took a set of racing clip-on bases, and then cut a pair of dirt bike handlebars (also 7/8" dia) to fit into them. I think it's a great idea for a bike that sees double duty as daily rider/track bike; you could easily switch between the cut handlebars and clip ons depending on the day's ride. (just pick up the slack in the longer lines with some zip ties). Or, run the handlebar sections all the time and be able to rotate them forward & back, experiment with different bar bends to get the correct-for-you height, etc.

Only problem might be fairing/tank interference when running clip ons, but I do believe that marid2aptrblt is running F4i clip ons on his VTEC right now.

60014c12449badcef.jpg

For reference, 1990-2001 VFRs could use CBR600F2/F3 clip on bases(all 41mm forks), 2002+ could use CBR600F4/F4i bases(43mm forks), and the Frankenviffer dudes can run bases from whatever bikes their forks came from... although there are more options in the 50mm section right now, as it's a common size.

Whatcha think?

• Member Contributer

Yet another case of "Why didn't I think of that?" Simple and could work out for the right circumstance.

• Member Contributer

Whatcha think?

:angry: on thinking outside the box.

But in terms of an alternative to bikes with stock fairings, I don't think it would be as versatile as one might think mainly because of the clamp location. Being in front of the forks and below the triple is quiet a disadvantage to overcome when you want to add both rise and pull back yet still clear the fairing uppers. BTDT In my experience, the higher and further back you can start the easier it is.

Now if the idea is too keep the clip on type of forward reach but with a tad more height (still remain inside fairing uppers; no trimming, etc), this should work OK. For streetfighters with little or no upper fairings, they won't have this limitation so the skies the limit. I'm thinking ape hangers! +1.gif

Whatcha think?

:goofy: on thinking outside the box.

But in terms of an alternative to bikes with stock fairings, I don't think it would be as versatile as one might think mainly because of the clamp location. Being in front of the forks and below the triple is quiet a disadvantage to overcome when you want to add both rise and pull back yet still clear the fairing uppers. BTDT In my experience, the higher and further back you can start the easier it is.

Now if the idea is too keep the clip on type of forward reach but with a tad more height (still remain inside fairing uppers; no trimming, etc), this should work OK. For streetfighters with little or no upper fairings, they won't have this limitation so the skies the limit. I'm thinking ape hangers! +1.gif

The pic is just one example, I think this could be pretty versatile as they bases could be mounted below or above the triple(I was thinking above for a VFR, but didn't express that in my first post). They could also be flipped from side to side to offer front or back mounting, rotated, etc.

Anyone who has the motivation & facilities to cut up a set of handlebars will have the mind to also figure out other combinations, I'm sure. (IMO). :angry:

• Member Contributer

Yeah, I was thinking more of the USD fork guys.

When mounting these fork clamps above the triple to add handelbars, the benefit I immediately see is not having to drill the top bridge (triple) to mount risers for handlebars in the typical fashion. The negative I see is having to cut up a perfectly good set of handle bars BEFORE one is certain they will like the results thus it can't return for another set and they are effectively ruined.

Another area of concern is with wide mounting points that unless you use a flat drag style bar (and what would be the point of that?), the overall bar width increases even more than standard handlebars. When I added handlebars to both my 4 and 6gen VFR's I cut them both shorter. Granted I know he is not simply cutting them in half and bolting them in. Rather he did cut some of the middle out but there still needs to be enough straight section left before the rise for clamping purposes. I'm guessing this method is adding two maybe three inches of additional width over the traditional method. It's hard to tell from just one pic though.

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm dissing the idea/concept rather I see it as another tool in the chest of the modders' arsenal but I think it does need some further thought and "testing". Go for it Seb! +1.gif