Tipover protectors

JAM

I like modifying, but I don't like to change the basic structure of the bike. So I ordered a while ago some white Nylon and manufactured some sleeves and an aluminum standoff. In short they worked when the bike was loaded up with hard sides and I was knocked off balance. The prototypes worked when the bar ends and the bobbins kept the bike from scratches and breakage. This pic is not focused, as I forgot to include them in my new mods. These new ones are better in the UV and moisture resistance, and I filleted the the ends because I could. The are close to my shins, and might aid in the slightest in the event of a collision of a smaller event. They are there mostly to protect the plastic. Thanks for reading.

post-850-024844600 1276191185_thumb.jpg

The only thing they're going to protect back there, is the engine cover. It's been said, with regard to a brand of sliders that mounted in that same location, that they may actually cause extra harm by being there - for two reasons:

1. They're closer to your leg in the event of an accident

2. Being that far behind the central weight of the bike, they can actually allow the weight of the bike to lever the upper side fairing harder into the ground, compromising them and the even more expensive bits behind them.

If you want the most effective frame sliders, they need to be mounted farther forward where they'll take the brunt of a tipover/slide. Unfortunately, that means drilling holes in your fairings too.

The only thing they're going to protect back there, is the engine cover. It's been said, with regard to a brand of sliders that mounted in that same location, that they may actually cause extra harm by being there - for two reasons:

1. They're closer to your leg in the event of an accident

2. Being that far behind the central weight of the bike, they can actually allow the weight of the bike to lever the upper side fairing harder into the ground, compromising them and the even more expensive bits behind them.

If you want the most effective frame sliders, they need to be mounted farther forward where they'll take the brunt of a tipover/slide. Unfortunately, that means drilling holes in your fairings too.

\

Thanks for the input Seb, but in the event of a tipover, they have done more than protect the engine cover, they've protected the side fairing, this by way of a true life experince. As much as I have done in the riding department for 25 years and never crashed, I have had a few tipovers. I would imagine that in an accident where the bars could be a problem, the motorcycle itself, or the thing that is going to hit you is a greater problem in an accident than that rounded piece of nylon. In the event of a slide, the nylon would snap and what is left is nothing higher than the engine cover. I've seen the bike fall, I've picked it up, and examined the damage. I would make them again based on what i know.

'